Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Thanks Wayne for all you do!
    For those of us not there. What was Brent’s / MissA’s mechanical issue? Great to see Doc pull-off an awesome (what looked like a no-power) safe recovery. Sorry if I missed a posting on this. Congratulations Brent & team...so well positioned this year. Great to have AAFO! M

Re: MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Don't have word from any crew, but observed heat damage to the front exhaust stack on the left side and oil down the right side. Cowling was intact but looked "distressed" to me.

Comment

I don’t have specifics, but the engine is pretty thrashed. Lots of big parts out of place. Might be a deciding factor in if they come back next year. Not a “simple” overhaul like it was to get ready for this year.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks LED and GRNDP51 for the replies / details. Understood. Hope the Stocker was in the trailer. Drag - but super happy on the recovery. M

Comment

Originally posted by mitchcarley View Post
          Thanks Wayne for all you do!
          For those of us not there. What was Brent’s / MissA’s mechanical issue? Great to see Doc pull-off an awesome (what looked like a no-power) safe recovery. Sorry if I missed a posting on this. Congratulations Brent & team...so well positioned this year. Great to have AAFO! M
          Hey Mitch, wish you would have been here! I was sick in bed on Sunday in my RV... unable to find out what but as others have said, he had her wound up pretty tight! I think he had a Shanholzer motor this year, they can be VERY strong engines!

PS: THANKS for the click!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchcarley View Post
            Thanks LED and GRNDP51 for the replies / details. Understood. Hope the Stocker was in the trailer. Drag - but super happy on the recovery. M
            They do have a stocker in the trailer. They were going to install it after the race motor made metal early in the week. Then the team though they had found the source of the problem and made the needed repairs so the race motor stayed in.

Comment

Big tip of the hat to Doc, he put the hammer down and went for it. He's a racer! Just sorry about his cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                Big tip of the hat to Doc, he put the hammer down and went for it. He's a racer! Just sorry about his cost.
                Did anybody get any times/speeds on Miss America before the engine blew? It sure looked like he was gaining on the Buick

Comment

Confirmation today that Miss A threw a rod "big time".
                  remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                    Sounds like "Big Time Air Racing". I remember one year my dad and his new wife came up to Reno when I was working on the Bearcat and we grenaded an engine. She was absolutely devastated after having witnessed how much work we had put in to getting there during the prior year. She came over to me in tears and offered a hug saying how sorry she was, all I could could do was smile, shrug my shoulders and say "That's big time air racing.".

Comment

Is that an Allison rod race motor in Miss America? Apparently that is what it took(amongst other things) back in '87 for the Strega team to get around Dred... ...at least thats what the rumor was during Reno '88. Unfortunately we missed Reno in '87. In the early mid 80's it was very difficult for a Mustang to win against Dreadnought.
                      Last edited by John; 09-18-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                        I'm hoping that we will get information that will let us know the story of Brent "Doc" Hisey's RENO 2019.

I truly thought this might be Miss A's year.. a gut thing I guess. But then my gut, my aching sinus infection and damnit aging body told me a lot of things last week but..

I sure hope The "Doc" and our beloved Miss America Air Racer will be back at the .. can you believe it.. 2020 Reno National Championship Air Races and Air Show!

ahhh… did I see that right.. did he say..2020..

Can it really be that far along... LOL
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Is that an Allison rod race motor in Miss America? Apparently that is what it took(amongst other things) back in '87 for the Strega team to get around Dred... ...at least thats what the rumor was during Reno '88. Unfortunately we missed Reno in '87. In the early mid 80's it was very difficult for a Mustang to win against Dreadnought.
                          No, it did not have Allison rods in it.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Hey Mitch, wish you would have been here! I was sick in bed on Sunday in my RV... unable to find out what but as others have said, he had her wound up pretty tight! I think he had a Shanholzer motor this year, they can be VERY strong engines!

PS: THANKS for the click!
                            Wayne - I am so sorry to hear you were laid-up...drag...HAPPY you sound recovered here. Yes, you know my respect for Doc & gang...I too was so hoping for a Red White & Blue victory-climb-out...with pealing-tape and all. Thank you all AAFO'ers so much for the details...I assumed it turned in to an alloy-grinder. Thank you Doc and all Racers for making this all possible with RARA, wishing all continued success and safety. Finally Wayne - thank you and yours for making this URL a daily-pick-me-up! M )
                            Last edited by mitchcarley; 09-20-2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Okay, just to be clear....there was no 'gaining' going on between the two aircraft. Doc maintained his distance through the first two and a half laps and was still 'there' when he pulled out coming off of 6 on lap 2.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X