Officially cancelled.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Officially cancelled.....

Wayne, the reason you couldn't find the release yesterday was because it wasn't supposed to be released until this AM, as you know doubt know by now. Frankly it's more than a bit disturbing that the actual, verbatim press release somehow found its way to the IF1 FB page and then on to numerous other platforms, well in advance of the actual release. Apparently someone, somewhere, just couldn't follow instructions. Sad. Social media or no social media, if you're asked to withhold making any statement, withhold making any statement.

Leo, I think you're on to something! Lots of opportunity to put together all sorts of videos depicting race fans going thru withdrawals. The sight of near empty grandstands with a few folks sitting there, making airplane noises, heads moving left to right in unison, is funny stuff! There are some very creative folks out there...let's get busy!

As for what to do this September, few of my buddies from Home Pylon and I are getting together at a resort in Brian Head, UT, east of Bryce Canyon National Park, for a week or so. Between us we have trunks full of memorabilia, images, videos, etc. One guy has 8mm and VHS going back to early 70's. His birthday always falls during race week and this will be the first birthday he's spent away from the races in 50 years. He spent a few years with the old VHS "brick" camera on his shoulder dragging around a red wagon that held all the batteries, cables, and gear he needed to run the darn thing, everywhere at Reno. Now THAT is a Race Fan!

We'll sit around commiserating while watching hours and hours of all sorts of stuff, drowning our sorrows with adult libations, and as Leo said...making airplane noises! Should be a good time...but nothing like the real thing.

Until Next Year…
    Last edited by Air Boss; 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

We have a pedal plane p-51 that is my son's. Get a kid for it (my son is 29 now) and have him run in circles on the ramp while a bunch of us locals cheer and make noises. I bet one of the local news would even be interested in a copy for human interest.
      Keep interest alive a bit.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        We have a pedal plane p-51 that is my son's. Get a kid for it (my son is 29 now) and have him run in circles on the ramp while a bunch of us locals cheer and make noises. I bet one of the local news would even be interested in a copy for human interest.
        Keep interest alive a bit.
        That'll work!

Not unlike this classic image from a few years back:
        Attached Files
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Yep. Hmmm, this could be fun.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

RARA made a gutsy move...I think it's the right one, too! Even an 'inverted flat spin' can recover!
            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
              RARA made a gutsy move...I think it's the right one, too! Even an 'inverted flat spin' can recover!
              Indeed! Given that the bastard virus is making a comeback wherever folks choose to gather without protection, i.e. where we've "opened up", this would have to have been the only choice they could make. If the reopening had been going better, and it looked like we're out of this thing, then taking the risk might have made sense... *might*

That event has operated on such thin margins for so long, I truly believe that one bad year, where the money had been spent and did not return, we'd lose this sport forever!

NOW..

It's up to US to not only keep the excitement level up, but bring in more people!

Once I get moved into my new house and can get all my files in one place, I'm going to do my best to make this site what it once was! We brought people in then, with your help we can do it again!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This would have been my husband's 45th year. He is bummed beyond belief. He has terminal cancer, so we just don't know how many more years he'll be able to make the journey.

We are still going to Stead in September. We have to! We're up for any safely-distanced shenanigans! We've got a couple of RC planes we could utilize for some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcintire View Post
                  This would have been my husband's 45th year. He is bummed beyond belief. He has terminal cancer, so we just don't know how many more years he'll be able to make the journey.

We are still going to Stead in September. We have to! We're up for any safely-distanced shenanigans! We've got a couple of RC planes we could utilize for some fun.
                  My best wishes to you and your husband. Hope the trip to Stead will boost his spirits!
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    At 88 I don't know if I can last another year. So many memories. So many races. So many friends. Take.care all.
                    Young man, you'll be there in 2021!

Take good care, Bob, we'll see you next September!
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                      Young man, you'll be there in 2021!

Take good care, Bob, we'll see you next September!
                      Glad that decision is out of the way.

My daughter would have had to make the decision - kids health or air races.

I know she would have chosen kids!

So let's move on to 2021.

To help RARA and the air teams, they need to think out of the box. Let's create excitement for 2021 now, start posting here and building up towards 2021.

They should use this unique opportunity to sell their team merchandise as 2020 collectors items.

Maybe Wayne can support a Reno Air Race storefront here. Anything Reno Air Racing related.

A hint, do not peddle anything made by that Communist regime that gave us the Kung Fu flu!

The future of the Reno Air Races is in training.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_2512.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	229814Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2928.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	229815
                      Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-26-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                        Glad that decision is out of the way.

My daughter would have had to make the decision - kids health or air races.

I know she would have chosen kids!

So let's move on to 2021.

To help RARA and the air teams, they need to think out of the box. Let's create excitement for 2021 now, start posting here and building up towards 2021.

They should use this unique opportunity to sell their team merchandise as 2020 collectors items.

Maybe Wayne can support a Reno Air Race storefront here. Anything Reno Air Racing related.

A hint, do not peddle anything made by that Communist regime that gave us the Kung Fu flu!

The future of the Reno Air Races is in training.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24810[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24811[/ATTACH]
                        Clearly those cute lil' muchkins take after their grandmother!

I'd expect a bit of a down period for a while but yeah, I'd also expect RARA to start building towards 2021 fairly soon. Good news we have a 3-month head start on it.

I can envision a multitude of marketing and PR opportunities there.

While it would seem that RARA wouldn't suffer much if any financial impact as a result of cancelling they still have overhead and other factors that must be taken into account. And without the gross revenues from the gate, concessions, etc. it won't be easy.

Let's all do our part to keep this event on the front burner as much as possible. No idea is too far-fetched.

And don't hesitate to contact RARA directly with positive feedback about their decision and ideas for 2021 and beyond. I know the staff looks at those. They may not always get back to you but you've planted the seed. That's step one...

Be Safe Out There, Folks. Need each and every one of you (and ten of your friends!) back next year.
                        Last edited by Air Boss; 06-26-2020, 06:41 PM.
                        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Owen,

For this Sept 16-20

RARA should make a big online streaming effort and use all the NBC footage from last year.

Add in some reporting showing the 2021 marketing efforts. Put a face on RARA.

Daily ads showing 2021 Reno Air Race T-shirts for sale.

Daily ads for ticket sales.

Do daily local hotel promos.

Have some contests.

Add vendor storys, VOS apparel, the process for designing yearly posters, Scott Slocum and the Bombshell babes, they could even do some pilot interviews :-)

If this is do right were you the keep the audience interested. No ads or commercial breaks during races.

This could help add money to the coffers.

Just some ideas thrown out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                            Owen,

For this Sept 16-20

RARA should make a big online streaming effort and use all the NBC footage from last year.

Add in some reporting showing the 2021 marketing efforts. Put a face on RARA.

Daily ads showing 2021 Reno Air Race T-shirts for sale.

Daily ads for ticket sales.

Do daily local hotel promos.

Have some contests.

Add vendor storys, VOS apparel, the process for designing yearly posters, Scott Slocum and the Bombshell babes, they could even do some pilot interviews :-)

If this is do right were you the keep the audience interested. No ads or commercial breaks during races.

This could help add money to the coffers.

Just some ideas thrown out there.

Good stuff my friend. I'd encourage you draft a letter to RARA and, after a few weeks or so, send it off to RARA. Not sure what, if anything, they have planned for that two week period (remember, is was PRS for 4 days, off on Sunday, then race week).

Give them some time to take a break but I'd say some time in early August. I know the office is very short staffed right now and that may not change much so give it some time.

Like your thinking!
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Bummer, just bought our first motor home and was so looking forward to having it out there. Oh well. Next year.

I’m totally down for some R/C races. I’ll even volunteer pylon judge.

Lockheed Bob, hang in there. You’ve put in a few years, what’s one more? Did we ever come up with any ideas on the memoirs? I would think that little piece of historical significance would really keep the community occupied and excited. I have a friend in LA that is a studio engineer. He records tons of audiobooks. Im just kicking ideas around.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Owen,

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if RARA has done what is called a full design-thinking session regarding how to drive support and attendance in the future? I have certainly seen them entertain and bring new ideas to the table but there is a difference between a small group of people (usually insiders) going “should we try…” and a facilitated cross-domain group of folks that are led through a full mapping process of possibilities.

The concept is to start with a blank slate and a cross-section of the people involved: admin, racers, vendors, volunteers, spectators, local authorities, FAA, etc. From there, the group throws any idea – no matter whether something that has been done for years or something so off the wall it might be easily dismissed. All the options are discussed and mapped (meaning, the group does a walk-through of what it would actually be like) with ultimately, the group having a clear roadmap on how they want to proceed that ensures all the connections and ripples are thought about by the group.

I have seen this work wonders (as both the facilitator and as a participant) in everything from large scale cultural change in an organization to most recently helping healthcare providers adapt to COVID-19. Having a facilitated, methodical approach typically makes a huge difference in the robustness of the outcomes. Again, I have no doubt that they have done some version of this – just wondering about the depth of the effort and whether they have specifically done it (or plan to) in response to the current crisis.

On a side note, while I have been quiet up until now, I deeply appreciate your engagement here. There is no doubt about your passion for this event. Thanks for all.

James

Comment

Working...
                                X