Rare Bear out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear out

Just got the Rare Bear "Fan Sponsor" e-mail, the damage to the engine cannot be fixed in time to race, although it seems the core is OK. May leave a "slot" for Dago Red
    Ron Henning

Re: Rare Bear out

_________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

<expletives deleted>

It hurts to see Rare Bear go through this so often, and I'm not even one of the true-blue "Rare Bear or I don't care" fans. Its fast as a defiled primate (that's PC for 'raped ape') when everything works, but things break so often and there are so many disappointments.

Is it even possible for Bear to use a super-reliable engine as a backup? Say a 3350-26WD like Pardue ran in Fury for umpteen years without an engine change. Yes, I realize that there's good reason for NOT spending money on a stock 26WD instead of putting 100% of available funds in the race engine. I also assume that the change isn't mechanically as simple as dropping in a race Merlin in place of a stock Merlin in a Mustang even if funds weren't an issue. If that could be overcome it sure seems like it would be possible to run with Dreadnought or at least faster than the 3350 Furies with a plain-jane 26WD. Maybe snap up a win by attrition and good flying even without the race 3350.

Just idle thoughts.

Comment

Ugg, now the depression is setting in... and I haven't even left for Reno yet.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
          Ugg, now the depression is setting in... and I haven't even left for Reno yet.
          Don't feel down. The Bear Team really worked hard to give you a good show this year, just not enough time and a few other little things got in the way.

Please come by the Bear Trailer and say hi, and get your picture taken by the Bear, then we can chat about how great this sport is.

Maybe a cold drink and check out the view from the deck on the hauler and all will be well again.

Don
          Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
          Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

The Bear crew (as always) worked their butts off. You guys are awsome!

As to how to keep the plane flying, it's not a question of having a "stock" motor available, it's a question of how to make the change. They need a firewall forward setup already on the engine mount. Anybody got a few hundred $K available? Even at that, the difference between in-lines and radials is the difference between easy cylinder swaps vs easy engine swaps. It's the nature of the beast.

My hat is off to the crew. They are hard working people who burn the candle at both ends. I watched them working this afternoon, and if there was any way to keep that plane flying, I believe they would have done whatever it takes.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
              instead of putting 100% of available funds in the race engine.
              The problem with the Bear, probably not akin to too many other top contenders is, there ARE no available funds.

What you guys and gals, the fans put in, and what was pulled in from the purse, along with some generous sponsors over the past few years, was ALL there was.

I can't speak for Lyle, but I know, we are both "pensioners" with a lot less in our funds than we'd like to have. In reality, Wall Street has been far less kind to Lyle than it has to me!

This is a bitter disappointment to everyone involved. No finer crew have ever been assembled. (I do not mean that to detract from ANY other crew!!!!!)

These guys and gals have worked their butts off for several years to make the dream come true. Let's hope that that the dream is not over as of this year!

Wayne Sagar
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Major bummer! Those guys always seem to have their backs up against the wall. Even so I have found them to be one of the most approachable, good natured crews on the ramp, always willing to answer a dumb question from an air race geek (and letting his 7 year old pose for a picture on the wing in the middle of major engine repairs)! That's why it was so cool to see them find success the last 2 years. Hope they can get the funding to be back next year. It just ain't Reno without the Bear.

Comment

I saw this on RGJ this morning. The mechanics that work on Rare Bear were a key part of this article. I tip my hat to you guys!
                  Mike
                  Mike S
                  www.indyairshow.com
                  www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Ok so my friends just had to talk me off the third floor ledge...........
                    That news just sucks..........
                    Dago wounded and Da Bear out.............
                    I'll still be there ,but I had such high hopes for a loaded Gold race.......
                    I guess this year is no different than the rest.

Comment

So what happed to the engine? Did the carb quit working causing a lean condition at boost and catastrophic detonation cracking pistons and rings? Is anyone saying what happened or are lips sealed. It seems like every year shapes up to be the showdown of the century and one or more of the major contenders end up watching the final from the ground.
                      I'm sad to hear the Bear is out, I was really hoping to see another win.

Will

Comment

This is't from a crew member (they are working on the inlets again) but I heard when they pulled the jug they blew the piston was burned and compressed so bad they couldn't get the piston pin out to get the piston off.
                        Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
                          This is't from a crew member (they are working on the inlets again) but I heard when they pulled the jug they blew the piston was burned and compressed so bad they couldn't get the piston pin out to get the piston off.
                          I'll say again...pistons tend to melt when you run them at high manifold pressures and the pilot doesn't turn the ADI switch on.....

Comment

Heard directly from Rare Bear crew guys; #1 detonated, piston "chunks" went into crankcase damaging master rod. OUCH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              I'll say again...pistons tend to melt when you run them at high manifold pressures and the pilot doesn't turn the ADI switch on.....

And for those who may not know what ADI is... Anti-Detonation Injection.

Power makes heat... Therefore water/methanol (anti-detonation injection) is used to keep the induction temperatures down when making serious power.

While this document is for merlins, the same basic principle applies to radials...
                              see "induction" section http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0324.html

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X