Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graeme Frew new Boeing 787

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    It is similar, and I think they got the idea from Czech Mate, but went up an engine size from the R2800 to a 3350. The extra weight of the larger engine made it very scary to fly so they added the T33 tail to it and that made it fly better.

Will

IIRC it also was a turbo compound with the PRT's!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
      IIRC it also was a turbo compound with the PRT's!

Kevin
      Based off the exhaust setup, I'd have to say you are right. I recall being told why PRT engines weren't the best for racing, but I can't remember why.

Will

Comment

Any word at all on future of this plane? 1998 was a LONG time ago. Personally, for me those small wings and that huge engine give me great fears for the pilot wresting it around the pylons. An R2800 is a great engine for it. We need more big engine Yaks out there. The spirit of Bob Yancy lives on in some of us.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
          Any word at all on future of this plane? 1998 was a LONG time ago. Personally, for me those small wings and that huge engine give me great fears for the pilot wresting it around the pylons. An R2800 is a great engine for it. We need more big engine Yaks out there. The spirit of Bob Yancy lives on in some of us.
          As far as I can tell, this birds future is sitting right where its at until the museum does something with it, or sells it. I'd be shocked if it ever races. That said, one of the Sport guys might get ambitious and offer the museum some $ and strike a deal. Who knows.

Will

Comment

As far as I can tell, this birds future is sitting right where its at until the museum does something with it, or sells it. I'd be shocked if it ever races. That said, one of the Sport guys might get ambitious and offer the museum some $ and strike a deal. Who knows.

Will
            Or like Tom Dwelle go from T6 to Unlimited(Gold). Speaking of which did I see a mention the EX Critical Mass, BMB is going to be back racing in stock form or did I misunderstand?

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
              Or like Tom Dwelle go from T6 to Unlimited(Gold). Speaking of which did I see a mention the EX Critical Mass, BMB is going to be back racing in stock form or did I misunderstand?
              It would be really cool to see the Dwelle's Sea Fury on the ramp in September, but I highly doubt that will happen. I think that family is done racing.

Will

Comment

Based off the exhaust setup, I'd have to say you are right. I recall being told why PRT engines weren't the best for racing, but I can't remember why.

Will
                I was once told by someone knowledgeable that the PRT's had issues with lubrication under the G forces required at Reno. If I was misled I'd be happy to be corrected. I'd imagine if it was suited for air racing more than one airplane would've tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                  I was once told by someone knowledgeable that the PRT's had issues with lubrication under the G forces required at Reno. If I was misled I'd be happy to be corrected. I'd imagine if it was suited for air racing more than one airplane would've tried it.
                  That's what I was told as well.

Comment

What is a PRT?

Comment

I do believe PRT stood for "Power Recovery Turbine". Unless you were a mechanic, then it was "Parts Recovery Turbine".

Comment

Sounds like FORD (FixOrRepairDaily) or GTO (GarbageTruckOverdrive)
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                          What is a PRT?
                          It's like a turbocharger without the compressor, instead of capturing the energy from the exhaust and using it to boost the intake pressure it was mechanically linked to the power section to try and utilize (or recover) that spent energy directly. Those engines had two speed blowers and they were making plenty of manifold pressure. It might've sort of worked for the airlines but it wasn't rugged enough for air racing.
                          Last edited by knot4u; 07-16-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                            Sounds like FORD (FixOrRepairDaily) or GTO (GarbageTruckOverdrive)
                            Ford, (found on road dead). LMAO. Knew a guy that when he heard "fix or repair daily" or "found on road dead" he went ballistic.

Comment

The R-3350 turbocompounds were some of the most fuel-efficient spark-ignition engines ever built. Various sources list them with a BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) as low as 0.380 pounds of fuel consumed per hour for each horsepower developed.

Compare this with an O-360 at 75% power with 0.480 lbf/hr/bhp, or the R-4360 at 0.440 lbf/hr/hp.

The engine in the Toyota Prius, which benefits from much more modern materials, design, ignition and induction, beats the R-3350TC by just a little - 0.370 lb/hr/hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X