2018 Reno Air Race Live Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Reno Air Race Live Feed

Awesome racing today, can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! Let's see what Mike has left
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Awesome racing today, can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! Let's see what Mike has left
      I think he's just taking it easy and breaking her in.

No sense in showing your cards today :-)

I'm still on the Miss American side of the fence, Go Miss A Go.

I definitely have a fondness for that red, white and blue gal.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
        I think he's just taking it easy and breaking her in.

No sense in showing your cards today :-)

I'm still on the Miss American side of the fence, Go Miss A Go.

I definitely have a fondness for that red, white and blue gal.

I'm cheering for Miss A to win it! Mike got a pylon cut, wonder if it had to do with Mark's weird flying off the start... still ahead of Graeme
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I could hear Mike's engine, and it definitely does not have the slower gears that Miss A, Strega etc. have, so I would venture a guess that this is a stock engine...maybe there are plans for a hot engine next year.
          "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
            I could hear Mike's engine, and it definitely does not have the slower gears that Miss A, Strega etc. have, so I would venture a guess that this is a stock engine...maybe there are plans for a hot engine next year.
            It was going to have a Vintage somewhat race prepped Merlin but by now I don't think that ever happened. I do believe they still have the spray bar hooked up to the tank in the jump seat. That and the clean and clipped wings adds up to about the speeds he's been running. I can see him ahead of Argonaut by the end of the weekend at best
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              I'm cheering for Miss A to win it! Mike got a pylon cut, wonder if it had to do with Mark's weird flying off the start... still ahead of Graeme
              Graeme had to take the bail out route on the first lap. He re-joined and still ran down a bunch of planes. I think he will easily beat Mike in the next heat.

Comment

The two jets that had the midair were lucky that there was only bent metal.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                  The two jets that had the midair were lucky that there was only bent metal.
                  Seriously! I was wondering, since race 13 was overtaking race 37, isn't he responsible for maintaining line of sight through the pass? And since he clearly didn't ... does that mean that he will be DQ-ed?
                  Chris

Comment

Both aircraft should have been required to land even if one didn't appear to have any damage. L39 that got hit almost pitched up into the other aircraft or so it appeared on the replay. Safe landing with only one aileron, damaged fin and left stabilizer-very good piloting!

Comment

I've heard the announcers say several times that #30 is the fastest Lancair in history. I just have to say that that is an incorrect statement. Even though #30 is certainly fast this year, it does not have the fastest speed ever officially recorded by a recognized authority.

The fastest official recorded speed by a Lancair Legacy was recorded by Sport #44 in April of 2015. At that time #44 set a world record speed of 390.526 MPH.

"C-1c – Speed over 3 kilometers – 390.526 MPH (628.49 KPH)
                      Time To Climb to 3,000 meters above ground level – 2 minutes 2.6 seconds
                      (C-1c weight class is takeoff weight of 1,000 to 1,750 kilos)"

Comment

Jet race with midair.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                          I've heard the announcers say several times that #30 is the fastest Lancair in history. I just have to say that that is an incorrect statement. Even though #30 is certainly fast this year, it does not have the fastest speed ever officially recorded by a recognized authority.

The fastest official recorded speed by a Lancair Legacy was recorded by Sport #44 in April of 2015. At that time #44 set a world record speed of 390.526 MPH.

"C-1c – Speed over 3 kilometers – 390.526 MPH (628.49 KPH)
                          Time To Climb to 3,000 meters above ground level – 2 minutes 2.6 seconds
                          (C-1c weight class is takeoff weight of 1,000 to 1,750 kilos)"
                          You are correct, I think they are trying to convey it’s the fastest qualifying Legacy at Reno
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                            Jet race with midair.
                            https://youtu.be/ScQcGnAPkeY
                            Thanks for the link. From where I was sitting in the stands, it was too far away to see the incident. When I saw the two planes pull up a few seconds apart, I suspected that they made contact. The radio calls confirmed it and I got a look at the damage on the right wing when the first plane landed safely.

It is pretty impressive that they had sufficient camera coverage to catch this.

Comment

Originally posted by chrs3590 View Post
                              Seriously! I was wondering, since race 13 was overtaking race 37, isn't he responsible for maintaining line of sight through the pass? And since he clearly didn't ... does that mean that he will be DQ-ed?
                              DQ? More like he won't be back. Probably ever.

Comment

I agree with Race5 on this -- the jets are dangerous enough as things are that they really can't afford to tolerate "red mist" incidents such as this appeared to be. Most of those folks seem to be really professional in their approach to racing these things, and that pass attempt seemed to be really stupid. I think it highly unlikely that this guy will ever be back.

Comment

Working...
                                X