Strega.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega.....

Gotta be Bob Hoover, he could beat anybody at that stuff flying anything from a feather to a brick.
    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

As long as you keep dragster support vehicles clear...

Bob

Comment

i just love this kinda banter.............already gettin' psyched-up for Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by WARPT View Post
          Dago Red qualified at 497.787, Strega at 499.17 (about 1 mph faster).
          Apples and oranges. Dago's 497.787 was run before the course timing was changed, while Strega's 499.17 was run after. I believe the math says add ~ 3% to any time run before the timing was changed, so figure the Dago qual run at about 512.721 if timed by today's rules. Not even close.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
            *sigh*

Rare Bear qual'd at 491+ in 1996. That is a faster time than 499.17 in today's measurement...
            No it's not...mph is mph.....

Comment

Grampi, your a troll and an Idiot. And probably 12 years old. Do you know how they come up with the speed? No you don't. So I will explain, I'll type slow so you can understand.
              Laps are timed with a stopwatch, then converted to mph based on the distance around the course. Not only has the distance changed over the years as the course has changed and moved, but RARA, in brilliant marketing move and in an effort to boost the speeds on paper, changed the way they come up with the course length. The old method calculated the distance point to point in a straight line pylon to pylon. In the new method, the distance is calculated by drawing a line around the course that resembles an approximate line that would be taken by an aircraft flying the course, resulting in an increase in the length of the same course. The result of which is a faster calculated speed around the same exact course, approximately a 3% faster. Therefore, the 491 on the old course multiplied x 1.03=505, which is faster than the new course measurement speed of 499.
              The whole matter is irrelevant though, since the course that was run in 91' is a different length and shape than what is run now.
              The real question is, why am I laying in bed at 5:30 on a saturday morning typing out a response to a troll who acts like a twelve year old?

Comment

Artic Cat

I'm pretty sure calling someone an idiot is in voilation of site rules and I hope the mods take the appropriate action....they've almost suspended me for doing far less....that said, this course change thing has been way over-exaggerated. While there may some differences in course timing, it's nowhere near 3%, or even 1% for that matter, so today's racers are considerably faster than Bear's 1991 speeds....

Comment

Yes Artic Cat that was uncalled for. When its all over the only thing that counts is who crossed the finish line first whether it be 5MPH or 1,000MPH. #1 gets the 1st prize money. I remember a NASCAR race where 1st place was won by a car going backwards across the finish line.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                    Artic Cat

I'm pretty sure calling someone an idiot is in voilation of site rules and I hope the mods take the appropriate action....they've almost suspended me for doing far less....that said, this course change thing has been way over-exaggerated. While there may some differences in course timing, it's nowhere near 3%, or even 1% for that matter, so today's racers are considerably faster than Bear's 1991 speeds....
                    Please do a little research and some basic math before you spew nonsense like that. Article Cat's info is correct.
                    Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                      Artic Cat

UUUhhhh, Your wrong......But i think the person you should be arguing with is Mike Luvara......He's the one responsible for the telemetry systems in most of the unlimiteds. The stats and figures don't lie, and he has the proof to stand behind the 3% difference............(actually it's between 2 and 3% but that's still a considerable difference.....)
                      Last edited by t-dub; 05-05-2012, 09:07 AM.
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Is calling someone an idiot a forum violation? I don't know. Is it disrespectful, lack class and all-in-all pretty much uncalled for? Most definitely.

What happened here? C'mon...let's play nice with our little airplanes like good boyz and girlz....

YES miles-per-hour is still measured at the same quantity, but the different course layout with a larger-radius back turn means higher top speeds can be reached by aircraft.

The only way to compare aircraft top speeds properly is on a straight line course, or time both aircraft on the EXACT same closed-circuit track. Comparing old Stead speed records to current records is a waste of time, as they definitely would have been affected by the change in the track.

Now I'm going to leave the room for awhile, and I want you all to behave....If you don't,... no fruit cup tonight after supper!

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-05-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I think Grampi is just Wayne playing a trick on us.
                          Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                            I think Grampi is just Wayne playing a trick on us.
                            Chris...

Now that would be hilarious. Especially since Wayne called him a troll in the "Frank Taylor Dago Red" thread.
                            Sky Critter

Comment

Am I the only one who feels bad for Arctic Cat here? I feel like I was walking along with friends, and suddenly one of them veered off the curb and got squished by a bus. Had I known he was gonna do it, I could have stopped him easy enough, but there he lies squished.
                              Arctic Cat fell victim to classic troll tactics, grampi calls everyone here, whose unbiased enough to appreciate the accomplishments of a lowly old Grumman Ironworks BearKitty, "Homers".

Even an idiot knows "Homer" means idiot. But because he couches the insult in slang, he gets away with it. He is allowed to bait people. Thats what trolls do.
                              Poor A.C., in this case, he was the first one ummm....., inexperienced enough, to take the bait hard enough, to get yanked in front of the bus. So there he lies squished, while the troll enjoys the attention his bait landed him.

And make no mistake about it - to a troll, any attention is good attention.
                              Last edited by C_roundy; 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM.
                              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                                ...And make no mistake about it - to a troll, any attention is good attention.

In other words;

Comment

Working...
                                X