Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega.....

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
    Mr. Laidlaw ran a race at Mojave in a Sabre 6 at 636 mph. 15 mile lap, G suits, three up, second was Leroy Penhall, third was Gary Levitz.

T-33's flown by the same pilots were in the mid 500's, but don't remember because, why bother, they were trainers.

Chris...
    And as I recall, all three of the pilots were completely wiped out by the g-forces on that big course going that fast.

Was a novelty back then.

I just find something else to do when they run these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      Is that the race where several of the T-33 came back with bent structures, inspection covers blown off etc? I remember that happening somewhere but can't remember which event.
      No, that was in the Cleveland days.
      Those incidents were top of mind to the pilots in the "74 Mojave races. The G limits and pilot tolerances were closely adhered to, in briefing and execution.
      Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
        Stega 499.17 set in 2011
        Dago has the fastest race or race lap (the RARA site dosnt say which) at 507 set in 2003.

Rare Bear dosnt appear to have any records for speed at reno.
        Quals don't mean nuthin' Its racin' that counts. . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by eldon2101 View Post
          agree with race 5..... this thread seems like ground hogs day........
          It's Deja Poo. I think I've seen this crap before...

Comment

and yet you keep posting in it, lol
            Last edited by Bob; 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Miss Ashley II was never a mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Miss Ashley II was never a mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                  I think that's true. Scratch built.

Comment

Just adding fuel to the discussion.

Comment

I thought everyone knew that Miss Ashley II was an TF-51 converted to a racer.
                      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                        I thought everyone knew that Miss Ashley II was an TF-51 converted to a racer.
                        You're not that far off. I had plenty of people insist to me that either 1), MAII was the original Miss Ashley modified to it's current state, or that 2), MAII was the old Precious Metal/World Jet Mustang modified with a Lear Jet wing.

There comes a point when the old guys are showing their grandchildren around saying "Look at that, Billy...that's an F4F Wildcat. I flew those in World War II"....while pointing at a P-40.

You smile, shake your head, and walk away......

Part of being a steward of the sport is educating people on it's past and history. But if they're not interested in learning, what good does it do?

Comment

So MA II was the non-Mustang parts from Vendetta and everything else was built from original Mustang blueprints. It was sort of a mishmash as I remember, I think the fuselage was basically "D" but the vertical fin was "H".

Vendetta when "un-leared" after the off field as Vendetta was in fact rebuilt as a "TF".

I hope we get a chance to see another amazing effort like Bill gave us in MA II!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Stega 499.17 set in 2011
                            Dago has the fastest race or race lap (the RARA site dosnt say which) at 507 set in 2003.

Dago Red qualified at 497.787, Strega at 499.17 (about 1 mph faster).
                            Dago Red has 507 race speed, and I remember hearing it announced over the pa that Dago turned a 512 mph race lap with Skip Holm at the controls.
                            Dago Red still holds the current 15 Km speed record at 517.06 MPH, and has held that record since 1983.
                            Dago Red is a 5-time consecutive National Unlimited Class Champion.
                            Dago Red is faster

Comment

Stega 499.17 set in 2011

*sigh*

Rare Bear qual'd at 491+ in 1996. That is a faster time than 499.17 in today's measurement...

Comment

Now that all the fastest flying speeds have been established I wonder who has the fastest taxi,takeoff & landing speeds? Not necessarily in that order.
                                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X