Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will un-invitations kill air racing?

Will un-invitations kill air racing?

How can we tell sponsors or investors that they are making a good investment when the whole program can be rendered worthless at RARA?s whim?

Who in their right mind would spend hundreds of thousands if not millions to build and campaign a racer when it can all be undone without recourse?

Will this be the end of air racing?

What do you think?

Re: Will un-invitations kill air racing?

Originally posted by BadIdea
    Will un-invitations kill air racing?

I do not see how "uninviting" pilots could "kill" this sport.

As an uninformed bystander, and airracing lover, I see the recent uninvitation of John Parker and his Thunder Mustang as a complete outrage. But, I do not presume to know what the whole story was, or is, or what will be.

It is an even worse outrage for another uninformed(and maybe even more uninformed than me) person to just throw up their hands and say "Airracing is Done".

Is there any optimism left in this world?????

Go Bear, Clay
    Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

I wouldn't say airracing is done by R.A.R.A. bullying but it sure doesn't make since to sour a class that has the real growth potential that it does. Not everyone can afford an unlimited but alot more can afford to race a kit plane. I wish they would reconsider.
      Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Vegas style racing then?

Well, if everyone (racers) decides to go south to Vegas, maybe something will change. Otherwise, I think things will stay the way they are and money (spent by the racers) isn't the objection of the "big guys", their power is.

Don't you think Power should only be shown on the race course and not in the politices?
        Randy Rheinschild
        www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

I think its part of the race

I may get slammed for this, but I think its part of the race. I dont like the fact that he was uninvited, I think it sucks. But, the politics and even the stories from differnt teams make the sport more interesting. Its like Kobe in the NBA. It sucks that all this is happening but attendance at NBA games is up. This may be a good thing for the sport.
          MattB

Comment

I've heard a lot of negative things about RARA for a long time, especially from a friend with the FAA. I don't know what the source of all the malcontent is, however I have to tell you, for me the Races are now and always have been, about the warbirds.
            As the son of a WWII aviator, Warbirds have dominated my aviation interests since I was 10.
            And I can tell you that I haven't missed a single Reno Air Race since 1964, with the exception being the four years I was in the military.

But, I think we all realize the end of this era is coming. Sooner than I like to think, the warbirds one by one are being retired, and as much as I regret that fact, it's like aging, it's inevetable.

And when the Warbirds no longer race, I'll be done with the Reno Air Races, because the Formuals, the AT 6's, the SPort class and the rest of the"show" doesn't do it for me anymore.

ANybody remember the staggerwing biplanes.?????

All the years I sat in the stands and was thrilled to death all day long, won't cause me to return, after the Warbirds are gone.

And I think RARA is digging it's own grave treating top contenders like they do.

And if any of you are in the Valley of Speed this year, I'll buy each of you the first beer. I'll be in with a group of Toy Trailers 50yds to the north of where the old runway meets the dirt rode.

Just look for the Big Ugly Dog, that will be me.

BUDXXX

Comment

Trolling For Free Beers

Now... where was that free beer yer talkin about
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Trolling For Free Beers

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                Now... where was that free beer yer talkin about

FREE BEER?! Did somebody say Free Beer?
                Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Gee, where I come from, the T-6 is considered a Warbird!
                  All the races are exciting and worth watching.

Comment

Look for two Funrunner, one Ragen, and one Sierra toy trailers, (you know, with the drop down ramps in the rear for bikes and atvs). And probably several other trailers.

We'll be there from wednesday till monday.

Ask for Jeff. I will be there.

After about 6 PM we switch from beer to the serious drinks. (Take that for what it's worth)

By the way, we are very serious race fans. BUt then you already knew that, right!

You think Pylon1 will ever be back?

Comment

ShermB - Yeah the T-6's are cool but they are not going to draw the crowds.

Comment

Air Racing

The fact is we are playing in their sand box so to speak. As long as there are racers that will break the ranks RARA wil always win. The only chance for change is a stand down and then that might shut the whole deal down. The problem is you can't get more then a few of the racers to agree. Most want to race no matter what. I remember not too long ago Tiger making a stand along with most of the other unlimiteds. By the time it was over Tiger was the only one still trying. He was parked off the ramp on private property. Do you remember that? You would have a race even if there was no prize money. In regards to sponsorship no big company is going to sponsor a plane that can only make one or two events a year. It makes no sense. Alas unlimited air racing will be a sport only paid for by the owners themselves. Its been tried time and time again. This isn't like Nascar . You can't throw a Merlin or 3350 together in a trailer in the pits between races. The cost and time makes it impossible to compete. We are lucky to field one race a year. Any more then that and you're dreaming. RARA knows that. So all the talking and threats really mean nothing. My suggestion is enjoy what we have now and hope the sand box is open next year. In regards to Vegas lets see how that works out. I have my doubts on that one too. I've seen a lot of promises before that fizzle out down the road. I think we should keep RARA happy and do our best to keep what sport we have alive.

Comment

Toy trailer/Free beer

.....Pylon 1 web site has been back, just not as many visitors as before.....good stuff there too......(thanks Wayne .....we need
                          a lot to satisfy our habit!)....
                          Mayday51
                          Jim Gallagher

Comment

Yeah it looks like his forum is still open but the main site appears to be inactive for some time now.

We wish him the best.

Comment

Working...
                            X