Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for photos of old racing Bearcats

Good day,

Am looking for any photos of Bearcats that raced in the 60's-70's.

In the meantime, this is a good read. (1972 Reno champion, and the story behind it)

GUNTHER BALZ - "Air Racing Terrified him"

Thanks
    Joseph

Re: Looking for photos of old racing Bearcats

Do these fit the bill?

#99 Bob Kucera
    #10 Walt Olrich
    #1 Darryl Greenamyer
    Attached Files

Comment

That was a GREAT Story, I was there and remeber the race. Dick Laidley in Conquest I definetely flew low. I have never seen anyone fly as low a course as he did. Rightfully so, he was disqualified. Was warned repeated times, and continued. Was fun to watch, but was on the edge.

Comment

...a few pictures of N1111L...

...Reno '64...

...Reno '68...

...Mojave '71...
        Attached Files

Comment

Good-evening,

Thanks for the excellent shots guys. Keep 'em coming!

Joseph

Comment

Great pictures of Conquest One. I never noticed the wingtip treatment before, but I have only seen her in the Smithsonian.

Comment

Interesting about Sledge's photos at Mojave '71.

This was a month after Darryl overflew the crowd at the east end of the field during the final at Reno, and failed to pull up during Mike Loening's emergency....and it was AT THE RACE at Mojave that the PRPA and FAA decided to set Schwartz down and the era of "if you can't beat 'em, ban 'em" began.

Shame, too, because Darryl had brought in a 'pressure refueler' for the '71 1000. While all the other teams were going with the 'over the wing' fueling from the truck, Darryl had his own fuel and a pressure fueler to speed up his pit stops. Would have been cool to see if the speed of faster pit stops and a fast airplane would have made up for 'more' pit stops because of his fuel capacity.

Comment

...Reno '64... N9885C Race 80

#1 Mira Slovak

#2 Chuck Lyford
                Attached Files

Comment

Right-on, Sledge! Once again, many thanks f/sharing your excellent priceless & timeless vintage color air racing photography!

DBD

Comment

Here are a couple of Smirnoff's from my collection to add to Sledge's....
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have some really cool pictures that my Dad took of Bearcats in the sixties, but the slide scanner is not cooperating.....yet. Big Jim can tell you really cool stuff. OK here is the deal scanner is now cooperating and these pictures were taken by a guy that later got too busy doing something else to walk around and take pictures all day. I hope you enjoy these. It was like King Tut's tomb when these pictures were finally found and unpacked. P.S there is some really cool trivia in most of these pictures. Please excuse the tail in front of a Bearcat on the last photo the Goldenrod colored numbered fin is not transparent.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: add pictures
                      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                        I have some really cool pictures that my Dad took of Bearcats in the sixties, but the slide scanner is not cooperating.....yet. Big Jim can tell you really cool stuff. OK here is the deal scanner is now cooperating and these pictures were taken by a guy that later got too busy doing something else to walk around and take pictures all day. I hope you enjoy these. It was like King Tut's tomb when these pictures were finally found and unpacked. P.S there is some really cool trivia in most of these pictures. Please excuse the tail in front of a Bearcat on the last photo the Goldenrod colored numbered fin is not transparent.
                        Dude....somebody needs to tell that guy in the first picture that there is no smoking in the hot pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Interesting about Sledge's photos at Mojave '71.

This was a month after Darryl overflew the crowd at the east end of the field during the final at Reno, and failed to pull up during Mike Loening's emergency....and it was AT THE RACE at Mojave that the PRPA and FAA decided to set Schwartz down and the era of "if you can't beat 'em, ban 'em" began.

Shame, too, because Darryl had brought in a 'pressure refueler' for the '71 1000. While all the other teams were going with the 'over the wing' fueling from the truck, Darryl had his own fuel and a pressure fueler to speed up his pit stops. Would have been cool to see if the speed of faster pit stops and a fast airplane would have made up for 'more' pit stops because of his fuel capacity.
                          Would've been interesting to see if they could get the gear up each time.

Did you happen to witness the crowd fly over, remember how low those stands were? Between the old flagpoles, it was scary.

I always thought that the Fed pulled his certificates and the Contest Committee fined him to save face. No?

Good thing he dove under everyone to pass for the lead during the Loening mayday, he'd have been fourth otherwise.

Chris...

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, John. Man, those Mustang's look good with the flaps up!
                            Chris...

Comment

The first picture is of "THE MAN" in front of the breed of machine he would build into a world beater, Able Cat was still just a 2 year old wreck, that was four years off into the unknown future then. The next year he would have a ride with Richard Vartanian in N66111. But for 1964 he was a crewman for Clay Lacy.
                              Attached Files
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X