Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Whiteside / Team Steadfast Time to Climb Video

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
    You really think wings would make much difference? I would think it's more a matter of gross weight and HP.

From the stories I've heard it was pretty much a max effort. Max power with the tail tied and a rope cut, or is that just embellishment over the years?

Maybe I should read "Racing for the Gold"?
    Just an FYI for everyone. If having a physical copy of Racing for the Gold isn't a requirement for you, you can download a copy off of Google Books for $3.03.
    Russ
    Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Interesting that the spinner wasn't used for the time-to-climb record. It makes intuitive sense- more cooling and top speed isn't the goal. But often intuition is wrong when it comes to aerodynamics and even thermodynamics.

Comment

Congratulations on your record.

At what point does the clock begin? Is it when the plane starts rolling?

Those little cameras really do a good job at recording everything.

Comment

Yes, the clock starts at the first forward movement of the aircraft.
          Thanks from Team SteadFast on the congratulations. We have one heck of a team and sponsors which make this form of Air Racing doable. We have used the Non-HD P.O.V. Cam, the GoPro2 and the NflightCam GPS to record our work. The cameras are a poor mans telemetry system and lots of fun to watch and learn from.
          More to come...
          SteadFast

Comment

Congrats Will! You are fast becoming a hero and legend in our favorite sport. Go get 'em!
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
              Congrats Will! You are fast becoming a hero and legend in our favorite sport. Go get 'em!
              "becoming"??

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                Not to drag this OT, but does anyone know where that Spit ended up? I saw it a PoF show years ago and always thought it was the coolest looking British fighter I'd ever seen. Sounded good too...
                that Spit a MK 19 went to France where the owner (Eric Goujon) flew it for a season (I saw it at Duxfordin 2009 with the contro prop on) and then replaced the prop and i think the engine too, the correct prop is a 5 blade Rotol prop

theres before and after videos on youtube

Comment

Whose was the old record 3:33 ?

Congrats Whiteside !
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

What will Will Whiteside fly now that "Voodoo" is up for sale? He was right up there with "Strega" in 2011. Great job with the "Yak" Will.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Guys,
                      Having never made a true maximum performance climb in SteadFast, we were not sure of how close to the record of 3:33 we would be. That record was set by a Piper Panther which is a modified Navajo. When we re-designed the exhaust exit air in 2007, we optimized it for pylon racing over maximum power climb at near best L/D speed which is a pretty slow airspeed for cooling. As it were, we do get better cooling at high power/slow speed with the removal of spinner/afterbody. It may look like no big deal but we were always able to beat ourselves during that race. It just takes one screw up by me or my guys!The races you stand the best chance of winning are the hardest and easiest to loose. Kerch has mentioned that to me on several occasions about his Dago Red days. The cooling turned out to be close to optimum so with a slight adjustment to mixture, we ran cool all week. The supercharger isn't optimized for this mission so out of 3000' I am full throttle and loosing Manifold Pressure all of the way up. That loss of power makes the oil and cylinder head temps fall quickly. I let the carb re-enrich at 7000' so the last 3000' were not at very much power either. We were quite conservative on our set up and execution of this record. Having no experience with a climb record, there are always things to learn in the process.
                      WW

Comment

WOW! Thanks very much, Will, for sharing this info w/us. That was both enlightening & exciting to read. Congrats on your team's recent great record-breaking achievements w/Steadfast. Bravo!

DBD

Comment

If the climb records are catagorized by weight class, I'm surprised no one with a Thunder Mustang has gone for the record....the specs on that thing claim a climb rate of 6000 ft pr min..I would think it would shatter any existing record by a mile...may even be able to beat Rare Bear's record...
                          Last edited by grampi; 03-29-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks SO much for sharing that kind of info with us. I fully understand you guys keeping your "secret $h*t"to yourselves, so what tech you do share is really appreciated. And congratulations again on the records. Now talk Mr. Button into letting you set a few in Voodoo... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                              Thanks SO much for sharing that kind of info with us. I fully understand you guys keeping your "secret $h*t"to yourselves, so what tech you do share is really appreciated. And congratulations again on the records. Now talk Mr. Button into letting you set a few in Voodoo...

..................at Reno

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                                ..................at Reno

Comment

Working...
                                X