Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Lancaster Ca. video

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
    And in the first video wasn't the dark Mustang that Lyford was racing alongside the Maytag Mustang, N332, flown by Russ Schleeh?
    Schleeh and the Maytag Mustang were at the '66 Lancaster races. Neither one raced at the '65 event.

I can't really tell from the video, but I THINK it's Ben Hall's Seattle Miss that is the 'dark' Mustang. It was silver in front, black in the back, and I think the camera is picking up on the black.

Comment

WOW!! Big Jim, I'm impressed with your knowledge of history and current names/locations/owners of these warbirds. I could ask thousands of questions, but time/space prevents this. Thanks for the updates on the listed AC.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        WOW!! Big Jim, I'm impressed with your knowledge of history and current names/locations/owners of these warbirds. I could ask thousands of questions, but time/space prevents this. Thanks for the updates on the listed AC.
        I agree!!!
        Across the few years I have been here, I've slowly been coming to realize what depth, range, and accuracy Big Jim's aviation history knowledge encompasses.

Holy mother of the spirit of all things (and people) that ever burned av-gas, I am impressed with him, and grateful to him!!!

Lately I've been beginning to wonder if maybe we should get some serious strategic asset security protocols in place to protect his brain...
        Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

V-1670 and C_roundy...thanks guys. Sorry, I was off 'airshow'in' all weekend and just saw this.

These videos were kind of personal in that I know Chuck Lyford and Ben Hall and Clay Lacy, have met Mira Slovak on many occasions, knew Lyle Shelton and his family, etc. I just love racing, have been around it (almost) from the beginning at Reno, and am a firm believer that you can't be a true fan of the sport if you don't know and understand the history of where it came from and how it got to be what it is today. So I have always tried to be a student of the sport and never stop learning about it.

Although I'm sure my attitude over the years has come across as a know-it-all and rubbed a lot of people (a LOT of people) the wrong way, I have tried to temper it to more of a 'sharing the knowledge' situation as I have become older. I kind of like to think it's the 'verbal' side of guys like Bucky and Neal and Sledge who have the 'visual' side of our history.

And given that a lot of the 'history' happened before the Interwebs came along, it is because of people like Wayne (and Scotty G, and Mark Kallio, etc.) who have taken the effort and money to have boards like this that give everyone the access to be able to share and talk about such stuff at our fingertips. "Back in my day...." we had to wait four or five months post-Reno to get Air Classics in the mail. Now you can literally stream stuff live to the world as it's happening from your iPhone.

I like sharing. So thanks.

Comment

SUPER GEEK!

Comment

sorry
              Last edited by taglialavore; 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you Big Jim for your worthful information.
                I always thank and appreciate people who shares the race knowledge to people who can not be so close to it. [/QUOTE]
                Last edited by taglialavore; 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I think y'all need to be a bit quieter about all this -- the guy's ego is big enough already...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    I think y'all need to be a bit quieter about all this -- the guy's ego is big enough already...

Neal
                    I LOVE YOU, MAN! :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X