Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And yet another air race inspired model...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And yet another air race inspired model...

Progress so far...

Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
      Progress so far...

I gotta say you are the man. Nice work. I even kinda like the dark wings and tail section.

Will

Comment

Thanks a heap Will, bit of a milestone tonight, its all in primer. Lots of finessing yet to go though, but its truly starting to look like something. Hopefully that something is PM!!

Comment

Amazing! I have a question: Is that an H-model kit (if there is one) or did you fabricate the tail yourself? The detail is awesome.
          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Looks fantastic, BUT you need to can't the nose down more from the firewall forward. There is a definite 'thrust line' deviation on the real plane...much more so than on a stock Mustang.

Comment

Thanks guys,
              Boomtown, I personally dont know of an "H" model kit in anyscale (doesnt mean one doesnt exist). This is an Airfix 1/24 P-51D kit, so yes, I modified the tail....among just about everything else on this plane.
              Brad, yup on that thrust line, I did lower the engine 6 scale inches. Trying to make a Griffon from a Merlin was quite the chore, I got the general idea, but the engine is still "smaller" than if I actually had an actual 1/24 scale Griffon. I think because of that the actual prop shaft is a smidge high, and to complicate things, the engine cowling doesnt quite have the "hump" to it and my spinner is also a smidge large where it meets the engine cowling. All that compounds the apperance that the engine is too high, and the cowling doesnt have that accute curve at the top near the intake....I could go on for days... I have been tinkering with the cowling for over a week, and cutting it back apart just doesnt sound appealling to me..LOL. I hope a few other folks tackle this racer, I would love to see some "real" modelers out there give it a go....I am far, very very far, from being one of those guys. Thanks for looking in.

Comment

I've done a few racer models, nothing really special or wild, but here are a couple.

I'm currently working on a Yak 3. Since they came with a V12 that was nearly the same displacement as a Griffon (with far less power mind you, and 300 less lbs weight) it got me thinking... I'll post pics when I'm done.

Will
                Last edited by RAD2LTR; 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

Finally getting pretty close to flight with the Red Baron.. Doing some taxi tests to be sure the plane tracks straight on the ground..

Comment

Working...
                  X