A little history for a newbie, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little history for a newbie, please

I remember about 10 years ago the T-6s and Unlimiteds came to Denver to race. It was great: Strega and the Super Corsair and several Sea Furies were there, among others. There was talk in the pits of making it an annual racing circuit with three or four stops in addition to Reno.

Can anyone give me a little history lesson, here? How did the Denver races come about, and what happened to prevent them from becoming an annual event? I seem to recall there were pretty good crowds at Front Range airport for the racing.

SteveZ
    SteveZ

I've heard of the Phoenix races, but nothing about Denver. That doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I'd love to have the racers come out here and give us a show. I'm affraid that since there's no money in air racing, we're just lucky to still have Reno. Let's keep counting our blessings for that!!

FBK

Comment

Denver Races

The Denver races out at Aururoa/Front Range were held in 1990, and again in 1992.

They were a product of the now-defunct ARU (Air Racing Unlimited), which attempted to get race sites at various venues across the U.S. They raced at Denver twice, Dallas once, and Kansas City once between 1990 and 1993.

Somehow the also-now-defunct NARA (National Air Racing Association) was directly involved with the two Denver races too.

Tiger Bill won both Denver races in Strega, in fields that were marked by a less-than-stellar field of racers. I think Super Corsair and Dreadnought raced at both, and then some super-stockers like Pardue's Fury and Del Williams in Pegasus. Rhino had Risky Business there too.

Why didn't the continue? I can't say for 100%, but Front Range was a bit too far outside of metro Denver, perhaps? Publicity for the races was literally nothing outside of air racing circles as well.

The writer mentioned good size crowds....I'm curious as to what qualifies as 'good size', because I don't remember them being overly crowded with spectators. But then, my memory fades much easier these days.

Denver became one of those sites on a long list of venues where it was tried, but didn't catch on: San Diego, Cape May, Lincoln City, Moose Jaw, San Francisco, Wendover, Dallas, and Kansas City. I'm sure there are a couple more. Aside from a moderate run of 8 or 9 years at Mojave in the '70's, nothing else has been able to match the success of Reno for longevity. And I believe that has more to do with the nightlife opportunities that Reno offers more than the fact that there is an air race there.

Just my .02

Comment

Re: Denver Races

Originally posted by speeddemon

[snip]

The writer mentioned good size crowds....I'm curious as to what qualifies as 'good size', because I don't remember them being overly crowded with spectators. But then, my memory fades much easier these days.

Denver became one of those sites on a long list of venues where it was tried, but didn't catch on: San Diego, Cape May, Lincoln City, Moose Jaw, San Francisco, Wendover, Dallas, and Kansas City. I'm sure there are a couple more. Aside from a moderate run of 8 or 9 years at Mojave in the '70's, nothing else has been able to match the success of Reno for longevity. And I believe that has more to do with the nightlife opportunities that Reno offers more than the fact that there is an air race there.

Just my .02

Interesting observations; thanks, speeddemon. My judgement concerning crowd size at Front Range is colored by the fact that I've nothing to compare it to: this September will be my first time at Reno. Compared to some big airshows I've attended the racing drew smallish crowds, but there were still several thousand fans there, I'm sure. Sean Tucker put on his amazing show between heats; I happened to be nearby as he was pushing out of the hangar to fly and was recruited to be a pole holder for his act. That was a rush!
        SteveZ

Comment

air races in denver

speeddemon wrote:

"Why didn't the continue? I can't say for 100%, but Front Range was a bit too far outside of metro Denver, perhaps? Publicity for the races was literally nothing outside of air racing circles as well. "

I agree that the publicity was probably not that great. I was living in the Denver area at that time, and I don't recall ever hearing anything about the air races at Front Range.

WARPT

Comment

A real nice air race event was the Shafter (Bakersfield) air race in 86.

But a new warehouse to the south put an end to that event.

I know many of you wouldn't have liked it because it was JUST unlimiteds. If I remember right, there were about three heat races each day, Saturday and Sunday. And three or four airshow acts, so the whole show was about five hours long.

It would have been great to see that event continue with T-6's and Formulas added.

Comment

Reno is still the best I've seen, but then I never made it to Pheonix, Denver, etc.
              I did make it to Mojave twice, and it was a miserable place to have a large event like that. Hot, windy, dusty and nowhere to go.
              Hamilton was great because it was close to home. As I remember it was three years running. At least thats how many pins are on the hat... The course had an interesting front straight with the turn in front of the crowd. The pylons were balloons in the bay.
              The biggest problem there was the admission. They charged you to get in the gate, then charged again to sit in the stands. If you did'nt pay for the stands, you could'nt see as the whole front of show center was blocked by them. I've worried about Reno getting that way. We general admission weenies may not pay as much for our tickets but I bet we account for more of the total take than all others.
              The Lincoln Air Races were out in the farmlands north of Sacramento 1 year in the early 70's (74? 75?). Pretty cool idea as there were bomber races and the spectator area was inside the course.
              None of these had the participation that Reno has, possibly excepting Mojave.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
              X