X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
    again with the "Considerably".

What constitutes "Considerably" in your book?

20mph?
    Are you new to air racing? If you've followed the unlimiteds over the years at all you'd know that the Dago of the early to mid 2000s was much faster than the same plane in the 90s.....I don't understand why so many of you are unopen to the idea that records can be broken...
    Last edited by grampi; 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Um, Dago qualified @ 490+ (Incidentally, just behind Rare Bear) in 1996, given today's course "adjustment" puts that right around the 500 mark. Even fingering race average speed, with the "adjustments" between the mid 90's and Dago's retirement the difference is still within 20mph as Flyingjbus pointed out to you...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
        .....I don't understand why so many of you are unopen to the idea that records can be broken...
        The same reason you're "Unopen" to the idea that Dago and Strega arent the 600mph beasts you seem to think they are?

Comment

The same reason you're "Unopen" to the idea that Dago and Strega arent the 600mph beasts you seem to think they are?
          I'm not unopen to that idea, I just believe they're faster than Bear...

Comment

I just believe they're faster than Bear...
            NOT faster than the Bear with the new 9 blade prop they are going to use. It's like 3 of the 3 blade props stacked and glued together, cause if 3 blades are good, then 9 are better......
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

How about a contra-prop such as the Republic XP72 with a R-4360-13. It had a Aero Products 13.5 ft. installed on it.It didn't do that well in testing but that was then.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Contra-rotating using the P-3 blades...
                It would probably either make so much drag with the prop interaction that Bear would barely fly, might just vibrate it apart, but the SOUND it would make!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                  I'm not unopen to that idea, I just believe they're faster than Bear...
                  Thats fine, but untill they go out and set a new 3km record they are NOT faster. That's how records work.

Comment

Thats fine, but untill they go out and set a new 3km record they are NOT faster. That's how records work.
                    Then why doesn't Bear win every year at Reno?

Comment

• Re: Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

i have been going to reno for 11 years now and have never seen a 3km "race"! your talking about two different things, and they dont compare
                      give it a rest...
                      Todd Smith

Comment

Peace. They are all good at what they do on any given day. Come on Reno.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                          i have been going to reno for 11 years now and have never seen a 3km "race"! your talking about two different things, and they dont compare
                          give it a rest...
                          Speed is speed and if Bear was faster, it would be winning at Reno...

Comment

ummmm... I think the Bear has more unlimited gold championships than any other aircraft over the 40+ years it has been out there. Unsure if any aircraft has been out there longer???? Its all good. Tried to do a quick look online however that makes my employer unhappy. If I am wrong I am sure everyone will let me know
                            Last edited by eldon2101; 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldon2101 View Post
                              ummmm... I think the Bear has more unlimited gold championships than any other aircraft over the 40+ years it has been out there. Unsure if any aircraft has been out there longer???? Its all good. Tried to do a quick look online however that makes my employer unhappy. If I am wrong I am sure everyone will let me know
                              You are correct, RB has won more golds at Reno, but P-51s have won more golds than any other plane type, and Bear's outings against the likes of Dago and Strega over the last 10-15 years haven't been good...

Comment

Looking back from 2009 to 2002 (not including 2010 due to sun gold not run) these are the winners and years. We have;

Aircraft wins
                                Rare Bear 2004,2005, 2006
                                Strega 2008, 2009
                                Dago Red 2002,2003
                                September Fury 2006

They are all fast, and it depends on any given day which one comes out on top. As far as the 3 Km speed record that is still held by the Bear at 528.33 set August 21, 1989.

just my .02 cents,

Dave
                                Last edited by catalinadave; 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM.
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X