Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

I was assuming that since they are flying through the traps it would be groundspeed, hence the runs in two directions.
    Published speeds I see in manuals are mostly slower than they are going now but thats apples to oranges.
    The sailplanes I fly VNE is based on flutter speeds and structural considerations (basically it becomes easier at higher speeds to overcontrol and pull important parts off).
    If VNE is based these items, and these factors have been dealt with on a record aircraft, at what point do you hit a wall, drag, critical mach, where it just wont go any faster (without monster power and no safety margin at all)?
    Just curiosity. They have to be getting close to "as fast as they can go".
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Mate?
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Ha. No. I was trying to change my profile pic and just wanted to check. it didn't work so I deleted. You were just too fast.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I here that a lot.
          All in fun.
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            "Those records don't say much about today's planes"? Are you kidding me? That record has stood for almost 25 years.

Talking about it and hearing tales about it are two completely different things. The record is at 529. If you think you can better it, go get it. Until then...it's all just talk. Every time this subject comes up the pundits and know-it-all's (i.e. those of you who aren't pilots or racers but did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night), you all talk a big game about how Dago, Strega, the Bear, and yes, even the Ghost have all gone XXX mph on the race course.

You know, 10 years ago in the race boat we had people saying that the hydroplanes were all exceeding the existing speed record at the end of the straighaways on each lap of racing. But trust me...maintaining those speeds consistently for 17 seconds through the traps are a world of difference from a couple of seconds during a lap. Well, we did it when nobody else could and when those that tried broke a LOT of equipment trying. It may look easy and effortless to you. It's not.

Yup...Strega, Dago, the Bear, etc. all go really fast on the race course. Until you do it in a straight line, for all the required runs, under the rules of the attempt, with the cameras rolling and functioning property, it don't count for crap.

Talk to anyone--ANYONE--who was involved with the last three successful attempts (Greenamyer, Hinton, Shelton), or even better, go talk to anyone from the Dago or Tsunami teams and ask them how 'easy' going for the record is, regardless of how fast the 'race speeds' of the airplanes are.

If the Bear guys can go out there and beat the existing record, they will have earned it, and I wish them all the best.

However, the more you guys debate about it, the more ignorant on the subject you sound.

Okay, back to obscurity again. Flame on.
            Lighten up Lenny! Nobody's trying to take any credit away from anyone, or say these records are easy to set/break. All I am saying is I think there are several planes today that can beat Bear's existing record...including Bear....
            Last edited by grampi; 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
              " I heard tale that just before Dago was taken out of racing it was capable of speeds in excess of 575..."

Ya, and then you woke up and found yourself stuck to the sheets.
              Don't shoot the messenger, I just repeated what someone else in this site said.....besides, what makes you think Dago won't go that fast? I don't know why certain people get so damn touchy when others say they think there are faster planes than Rare Bear. Being a fan is fine, but the reality is, there very well could be faster planes, and I happen to believe Dago and Strega are just that...
              Last edited by grampi; 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                Lighten up Lenny! Nobody's trying to take any credit away from anyone, or say these records are easy to set/break. All I am saying is I think there are several planes today that can beat Bear's existing record...imcluding Bear....
                *post deleted*....nevermind.
                Last edited by Big_Jim; 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I'll give you a couple of reasons Dago can't beat it.

1. It's a pile of parts in someones hanger right now.
                  2. The "Team" that got it to go so fast no longer exists as a team.

So to spout off and say Dago could be faster is ridiculous and insulting.

Persoanlly, I think the Bear camp will have a very hard time upping the record, and they are an actively competing race team with an owner with very deep pockets

Comment

There are planes that could, break the record. The only way to say they can, break the record is to PROVE IT!!

There is a very good reason only 4 people/planes have held this record since the 40's. It is extremely, hard to do.

As said above, Dago is not one of them. It's just a pile of Mustang parts, just like anybody else's pile of Mustang parts restoration project.
                    Last edited by T. Adams; 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      *post deleted*....nevermind.
                      WTF ? ......... that's two self deleted posts in one week. That's two less opportunities to smile this week!
                      Last edited by FuryFan; 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM. Reason: can't spurll

Comment

"Gentlemen Start Your Engines." Oh yeah thats NASCAR. They had a wild weekend,
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                          WTF ? ......... that's two self deleted posts in one week. That's two less opportunities to smile this week!
                          Who is the bigger fool? The one who opens his mouth, or the one who engages in response?

Some things just aren't worth the effort.

Comment

Some of you guys crack me up with your notions that Bear's record is untouchable. You also crack me up by saying how fast these planes run around the pylons at Reno has nothing to do with their ability to break speed records. And so what if Dago's lying around in parts? You think it can't be reassembled and made to run just as fast, if not faster than it ever did? Dago and Strega have both run considerably faster than Bear at Reno and that DOES indicate they would have a very good shot at breaking Bear's record. If Bear's record stands, it won't be because there are no other planes that are faster, it'll be because no one tried...
                            Last edited by grampi; 02-29-2012, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Some of you guys crack me up with your notions that Bear's record is untouchable. You also crack me up by saying how fast these planes run around the pylons at Reno has nothing to do with their ability to break speed records. And so what if Dago's lying around in parts? You think it can't be reassembled and made to run just as fast, if not faster than it ever did? Dago and Strega have both run considerably faster than Bear at Reno and that DOES indicate they would have a very good shot at breaking Bear's record. If Bear's record stands, it won't be because there are no other planes that are faster, it'll be because no one tried...
                              "Who is the bigger fool? The one who opens his mouth, or the one who engages in response?

Some things just aren't worth the effort. "

Well said Big Jim.

Comment

Considerably? please define.

"Could" and "Will" are to very different words. One of them is tethered by reality and money, the other is nothing but speculation and mental masturbation.
                                Last edited by flyingjibus; 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X