• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

1% will establish new record = 534
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I was thinking it was a 3% increase requirement as well but reviewing some notes I guess it is 1%.

Below is a chart of the records since 1939:

Comment

Notice how all the records were set in years ending in "9"....does that mean we have to wait 7 years? Nah.....Strega will smoke that 528 easily........

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell View Post
          I was thinking it was a 3% increase requirement as well but reviewing some notes I guess it is 1%.

Below is a chart of the records since 1939:

If I remember correctly I think Will Whiteside said he had to beat the old speed record in his class by 1 percent when he obliterated the in class speed record last fall unless its different for the Bears class...I wish the Rare Bear guys all the best, the airplane certainly has the cajones to do it...It should be interesting.

I also have to say that if the "Red Baron" was able to go 499mph back in 79 you have to think that the cleaned up updated P-51 packages like VooDoo or Strega would be able to up the ante quite a bit themselves...But man , Rare Bears standing record of 528mph was really haulin the mail!!!

Still would rather see them rounding the pylons though!!!
          Last edited by johnnyrace; 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

1% increase.

Comment

Last edited by knot4u; 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                Read Big Jims post about fluid capacity, it's not a one pass deal. The record would be alot faster if the bearcat hadn't run out of nitrous halfway through the attempt. Who'se gonna run the systems for this attempt?
                Ummn... Several crew, at least one pilot and, rarely, at least, one owner drop by here.. I was hoping that things might be overtaken by a bit of a deep breath within this thread...

If we're patient... never know, some of the usual suspects might join in and slice us off a few ounces of info... Pilot= stick in hand, Wrench=toolz in hand on the front lines info. (never know??)

With some luck, we might get some "off radar" commentary from the folks with their hands gettin' dirty!

Let 'em talk.. you never know...

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                  ...But man , Rare Bears standing record of 528mph was really haulin the mail!!!
                  Especially considering that record figure was averaged and it included a pass at 540mph! If only it hadn't run outta nitrous...

Comment

From EAA's Sport Aviation magazine, July 1969....
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenameyer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	224954

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

AKA "The Dave Cornell Grudge Attempt (or, You Guys Didn't Let Me Play Last Time, So It's Personal)"

528's awful fast. I'm sure FBDoR will be looking down upon high with supreme interest.
                      Now there's the Big Jim/Speedy I know. That's a cheep shot.

AKA to whom? Certainly not to anyone on the team or connected to it now. Grudge from someone in the past? Get over it, records are made to be broken.

And the three blade prop will not be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                        Now there's the Big Jim/Speedy I know. That's a cheep shot.

AKA to whom? Certainly not to anyone on the team or connected to it now. Grudge from someone in the past? Get over it, records are made to be broken.

And the three blade prop will not be used.
                        I think that flew right over your head.

He is simply saying that Cornell was not part of the record setting run and wants a shot at it.

Comment

I think that flew right over your head.

He is simply saying that Cornell was not part of the record setting run and wants a shot at it.
                          WOW, I am sure glade you cleared that up! Now I can let them two Chaps from Bletchley Park go back to retirement, and the mook who speaks in 'tounges' off the hook.

Maybe Google will stop calling me isisting I get my super computer off their servers...

CC
                          Last edited by CarolinaChuck; 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM.
                          "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaChuck View Post
                            WOW, I am sure glade you cleared that up! Now I can let them two Chaps from Bletchley Park go back to retirement, and the mook who speaks in 'tounges' off the hook.

Maybe Google will stop calling me isisting I get my super computer off their servers...

CC
                            That certainly flew right over my head.

Comment

I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact Dialtapper says no three blade.
                              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                                I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact Dialtapper says no three blade.
                                Funny story... Recently I was discussing with an uninformed friend the alure of this obscure sport that has only one event where people will travel thousands of miles to stand in the desert cheering for competitors who will never make the news unless something really bad happens...

She asked, "Do people cheer for their favorite airplanes or for the pilots?" I thought for a second and answered, "Some people are there cheering for their favorite engines and propellers"

Comment

Working...
                                X