Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

I'll have more info gathered and post up some details ASAP, but... that's the story for now.. I believe it's going to in the June-July time frame.... Sorry for the sketchy info, more coming....

I believe we may see some more record attempts this year by others...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

Rare Bear Speed Record Attempt This Year

AKA "The Dave Cornell Grudge Attempt (or, You Guys Didn't Let Me Play Last Time, So It's Personal)"

528's awful fast. I'm sure FBDoR will be looking down upon high with supreme interest.

Comment

Now, how fast do they have to go to set a new record?

Comment

Cool news on the speed attempt. I've been wanting to ask this since the Friday of race week. Was the Bear healthy during the Friday Gold Race, or was it having engine problems? Curious as to what Stew and the Bear crew thought as to how the Bear was performing during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
          Cool news on the speed attempt. I've been wanting to ask this since the Friday of race week. Was the Bear healthy during the Friday Gold Race, or was it having engine problems? Curious as to what Stew and the Bear crew thought as to how the Bear was performing during the week.
          I believe they had some issues that could not be completely fixed in time for Friday's heat race so they were taking it easy. It should have been back in top form on Sat. I don't think the issue was any sort of major engine issue.

Comment

Thanks for the info. on the Bear!

Comment

Speculation: In regards to Waynes post it sounds like "Rare Bear" & others will try to set new speed records. Do you think they are trying to do this & then put the racer(s) in the barn &/or museums if they don't race at Reno anymore? Just a thought.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                Speculation: In regards to Waynes post it sounds like "Rare Bear" & others will try to set new speed records. Do you think they are trying to do this & then put the racer(s) in the barn &/or museums if they don't race at Reno anymore? Just a thought.
                I know both the Strega and Furias camps have made noise about going after the Bear's record.

Talk is cheap, though. Until you actually lay out the dough for the sanctioning fee and actually make runs through the traps it's all just that--talk.

I'd personally like to see a pay-to-play 'open invitational' where you get a few teams interested to pool their monetary resources and have a two-week sanction with all comers making runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  I know both the Strega and Furias camps have made noise about going after the Bear's record.

Talk is cheap, though. Until you actually lay out the dough for the sanctioning fee and actually make runs through the traps it's all just that--talk.

I'd personally like to see a pay-to-play 'open invitational' where you get a few teams interested to pool their monetary resources and have a two-week sanction with all comers making runs.
                  I know that has been talked about for other aviation record attempts, but the FAI has some stupid rule forbidding that. They will only sanction one attempt at a time. They will not allow for any sort of record attempt "contest".

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    I know that has been talked about for other aviation record attempts, but the FAI has some stupid rule forbidding that. They will only sanction one attempt at a time. They will not allow for any sort of record attempt "contest".
                    Interestingly enough, in the boat racing world its the exact opposite. If you request a sanction through the UIM (Union of International Motorboating) which is the world governing body, and it is approved, it has to be a truly 'open' attempt. Anyone and everyone is free to come and run through the traps. So yes, the possibility exists that you could fork out your own bucks to have someone else walk away with the record. I can think of at least four other times where a hydroplane team has paid to have a Mile and Kilo course set up and at least one other team showed up to piggy-back off of them.

Comment

That's fine. Who needs the FAI deal anyway. The NAA will sanction about anything, just ask them. A new record series through the NAA, or anyone that wanted to make one up, could be done that way. In fact it could be a new form of racing. Just like the old Shell Speed Dashes.

For anyone to break the Bearcat's speed record they are going to have to go to somewhere that is higher than where Lyle did it. I think John told me that where Lyle did it was as high as one could find that has good topgraphy for the flight including turnarounds. That's all there is to it. That airplane was going as fast then as anyone can go now. If they are to choose a field elevation that is lower, they just gave any speed difference away.

I always figured that the reason no one has tried to break it is that they didn't have the speed and it would be a waste of time. Frank Taylor's record is breakable, he has even expressed how many errors he made in setting it himself, but it's hard enough to do when one does have the speed. Ask the Santa Monica crew.
                      Last edited by stuntflyr; 02-03-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                        That's fine. Who needs the FAI deal anyway. The NAA will sanction about anything, just ask them. A new record series through the NAA, or anyone that wanted to make one up, could be done that way. In fact it could be a new form of racing. Just like the old Shell Speed Dashes.

For anyone to break the Bearcat's speed record they are going to have to go to somewhere that is higher than where Lyle did it. I think John told me that where Lyle did it was as high as one could find that has good topgraphy for the flight including turnarounds. That's all there is to it. That airplane was going as fast then as anyone can go now. If they are to choose a field elevation that is lower, they just gave any speed difference away.

I always figured that the reason no one has tried to break it is that they didn't have the speed and it would be a waste of time. Frank Taylor's record is breakable, he has even expressed how many errors he made in setting it himself, but it's hard enough to do when one does have the speed. Ask the Santa Monica crew.

I've heard some people in the business of knowing such things discuss that they're not sure a Mustang like Strega (in this day and age) would have the fluid capacity to make the required runs. The requirement is four consecutive runs within the altitude and area limitations, but I THINK (not positive) you actually make six runs with the average of the four fastest consecutive. That's what the Bear had to do, IIRC. Could just be good fire-water talk.

And they'd have to eclipse the 528 by either 3 or 5%...can't remember as I get older.

You'd think, based on the 'roundy-round' speeds flown at Reno that it would be a piece of cake...but it's actually significantly harder because of the altitude and 'turn-around' restrictions you have to deal with going for the 3km. There is a reason Lyle considered it the peak accomplishment of his career...in a career that had a LOT of trophies.

I know Chris will agree....why don't you guys ask Frank Taylor and Ken Robertson how 'easy' it is to set the record. Or any of the Tsunami guys still around.

Comment

Come on boys, slap that three blade on the Bear and have at it!

Sure would be nice to see a round motor put the number even more out of reach.
                          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I wondered if the three blade was back in action and would be used for a new attempt.
                            Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                              Come on boys, slap that three blade on the Bear and have at it!

Sure would be nice to see a round motor put the number even more out of reach.

I just got goose bumsp, and that tingle all up and down my spine!!!

I really hope they say were they are going to do this, with plenty of lead time. Sure would be nice to try and make it there just to hear (feel) the Bear beat that record into submission.

Comment

Working...
                              X