Thunder Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    that's what I see as the issue here. Not what Parker did, maybe he is really a bad neighbor and hard to get along with and opened a can of bees. but what has that got to do with him racing? I think you pilot guys should stick up for each other or you are all just as apt to be swatted at some time in your raceing days if you step outside the box.

just my two cents,
    a concerned race fan who has never gotten to attend but always watches from afar
    I hope you will be able to attend sometime in the future.

There is NOTHING like the start of the unlimited gold final on Sunday.

Comment

I have read two pages of posts and the only thing I have gleened is that there is some issue about closing the airport to traffic at night. Can somebody PLEASE provide some background to this dispute?? Wayne, you have no "unnamed sources" that have given you details??I have no idea if Mr Parker's issues are legitimate or if RARA response was appropriate. See you in the pits in three weeks.

Chuck Luce

Campbell CA.

Comment

RARA's antics

Air Racing is a dying breed, and RARA has yet again successfully facilitated its impending extinction…

Reno stands as the last oasis in the otherwise arid field of sport aviation competition. With most every attainable GA world record and “firsts” set well beyond the reaches of anyone with financial limitations, Reno is still a place for pilots to come show their stuff one-to-one and compete on “level” field where honors can change every year. This fuels the suspense and competition that is Reno.

However, as I found myself further entrenched amongst the racers, teams, journalists, and the hosting organization [RARA], I discovered that the life blood of Reno runs black with politics. This is simply another case-in-point.

Furthermore, from what I can gather by reading the various stories, the feud between the tenants and RARA is a separate issue than that of the Racers and RARA. For RARA to “retaliate” in a fashion such to cross those lines is not only unprofessional, but exemplifies the many actions that I have witnessed by RARA over the recent years.

It is understood that RARA runs closer to the financial edge than anyone would like to admit and are struggling to fuel the growth of the sport. Likewise, the race teams also feel the burdens in increasing costs of maintaining and racing these aircraft as well. Many teams have already opted out of racing and are ‘retiring’. This is a pivotal time, when both RARA and the races teams must work together and make compromises to the good of the sport and sustain this form of entertainment (and addiction) for the fans who support the sport and those who risk their lives every minute in the air.

With urban encroachment shutting down more and more airfields every year (from Miegs Field in Chicago to Evergreen in Vancorver, WA) and environmental issues hindering development of new facilities to the point of virtual impossibilities, it is a crying shame to see such squandering amongst the ranks of the sport aviation groups. If such political self-righteous squandering continues, the sport aviation will continue to falter… and Reno will be no more.

I too have spent much time with Parker and have the utmost admiration for his dedication to the sport. John is immensely generous and truly dedicated to racing AND sustaining a small aviation business in a time and economy that is not favorable to the industry. John, I am rooting for you as well and wish you an expedient resolution and the best for the races…

Kraz.... out.

Comment

Chuck Luce,

Get busy,read ALL the posts and threads about John Parker
          and the incident......please(?)

Mayday51
          Mayday51
          Jim Gallagher

Comment

well since nobody answered some of my questions, I went out and found the Stead Notam at

and it says the airport is closed to ALL but racers and show participants. I guess tenants of the airport have to move during that time or close.
            They gave all power to RARA. Maybe next year they, the tenants, could get added to this list and go around RARA.
            ECVSteve
            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Read it again, dude.

Originally posted by ecvsteve
              well since nobody answered some of my questions, I went out and found the Stead Notam at

and it says the airport is closed to ALL but racers and show participants. I guess tenants of the airport have to move during that time or close.
              They gave all power to RARA. Maybe next year they, the tenants, could get added to this list and go around RARA.
              What's clear from the NOTAM is that the Air Races operate under a specially-issued FAA waiver which is in effect during certain hours as described in the NOTAM.

During the period the waiver is in effect, the airport is closed to all non-racing and non-airshow aircraft. Anybody think that's an unreasonable limitation?

It does not say that the airport is closed outside the waivered hours.

However, the airrace.org Web site notes that ramp space and services might be difficult or impossible to come by.

Also, having the home pylon sticking up in the air in close proximity to the runways is certainly worth some extra caution.

As for RARA having some sort of unlimited authority regarding aircraft operations at Stead when the waiver is *not* in effect - I would expect that authority still rests solely with the FAA and is implemented by the Airport Authority. And therefore it would be up to the FAA what happens outside of waivered hours, not RARA.

And I think there are FAA personnel on-site at Stead contiuously during the Races.

Comment

RARA/FAA waiver

It seems you're making the same argument that got John tossed!

Comment

As I read the posts and more info comes to light, I have to remind myself that the issue is not whether John Parker is right or wrong about access to Stead during race week.

The issue is why would this affect his racing in the event, right or wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X