Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready To Rumble? Who's Gonna Do What At Reno 2003?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely Unreasonable

I know this would be way too expensive, and is completely unreasonable, but wouldn't it be cool if we had some live web cams at Stead?!?!?!? One mounted at the Home pylon, one up on the control tower, and possibly another viewing the movement in the pits!!!! Even if they were turned off during the actual races and the show, for revanue purposes. It would be great to see the airport as the planes and crews arrive, as well as to see the action during qualifying!!

Wayne, you could charge a $10 or so fee for access to the cams. You'd probably get less than 1% back for what you put into it. It would be about the same ratio as what the race teams get.

Oh well, I'm sure some great pics will be posted as the races get closer.

FBK

Comment

• Re: Completely Unreasonable

Originally posted by Fly-By Knight
      I know this would be way too expensive, and is completely unreasonable, but wouldn't it be cool if we had some live web cams at Stead?!?!?!?
      It would be very cool but totally impossible for a website other than RARA's to do it, or, without special approval from them.

In our media package, we sign a contract that allows us only something like 3 minutes a day of "live" type coverage.. This meaning, moving media or sound coverage. I'm sure this is done to protect those who might have a contract to provide moving coverage from the event..

From what I understand, if it comes off, the Nellis Air Show is planning on doing something like this.

Technically, it's not that difficult to impliment, pretty costly tho.. For each feed, you'd need a camera, very fast computer and a wireless network connection, then an upload to a server, so a pretty fast broadband connetcion at the base.

Mebbie someday but not this time...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

• What about the T-6 racers

I think there is going to be some real close racing again this year and I am pulling for Two Of Hearts, Mary Dilda.

I keep watching their hangar to see what race preparations they are making but no luck, all I have seen is the crew changing the oil in the diesel generator. They must be ready and just waiting for race day.

Go get em' Mary D!

Wally

Comment

• Formula 1, BooRay??

Maybe someone can give me some info: I have really wondered why someone hasn't purchased Booray. It seems to me that would be an easy way to get into racing.
          Wally

Comment

• Wally,

You've probably not seen anything since 2 of Hearts is still in Oshkosh getting it's engine changed. In case you missed the news, Mary's engine siezed as she was taxiing back in after her aerobatic show. Inside reports say that she'll be ready for Reno, but only time will tell.

Good luck 2 o'Hearts

FBK

Comment

• 2 Of Hearts

Wow, thanks for the update! Not only is air racing the fastest sport, it is one of the most expensive! Sure glad it gave up AFTER the flying and not during. That is also why they have a spare engine - and sponsors. She and Steve are great people!
              Wally

Comment

• Chatted with Steve over the weekend... I'll add this to the "rolling" update as soon as I can put out a fire here and there and get time but... what he told me happend was that the impeller seal let go, this then took out the rest of the engine.. Doubtless, this is incomplete information on the cause/effect.. but.. They are planning on going up on Thursday and replacing the engine then fly the airplane home after testing..

Plan is to be at Reno barring any unforetold problems..

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

• Hey ecvsteve! 13 days until the beginning of the races. Have your inline buddies started to look nervous yet?

I see the Bear by the length of a CR Reserve bottle.

CLAY
                  Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo
                    A lot of expensive, shiney planes are going to go fast and turn left....
                    Wayne's truck will beat Sparky for the Bronze by a hood ornament, only to be penalized for multiple pylon cuts. Wayne claims they are safety cuts, the sun was in his eyes, judges tell him to clean his windows next time.

Leo

Looking forward to some competition this year!
                    Hey Leo... you're not supposed to notice the bugs on my windoze!

Funny, though *totally* unrelated "Bug Story" is in order here...

I think it was last year at PRS, maybe the year before.. those funny *HUGE* flying bugs were having their own little version of PRS out at Stead..

I'd collected a HUGE amount of bugs on the front of my truck on the way down.... I mean.. HUGE... like you could not see the paint or grill. It looked pretty... well.. disgusting..

Sitting there on a chair in front of my truck talking up a storm with a few buddies, the picture did not really strike me, since the truck and it's decoration was behind me... Then someone broke the conversation with the question... "soooo.. Wayne... are you into bugs?..."

Turns out, one of the big flying buggers had landed on my cap and was sitting there on my head, with me sitting in front of my trophy case of bugs on the nose of my Chevy...

One of those moments that I wish someone had taken a picture of!

But... just the same.... Those were not pylon cuts!!!!!!!!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

• Bugs

We get some big ones here. Last week a Morman Cricket landed at the Stead tanker base and they pumped 500 gallons of slurry into it before they realized it was'nt a C-54.....

Gettin' the fever! Workin a lot of overtime now so I can cruise a little that week. Going in at around 4:00 a.m. so I can be there in the afternoons on my way home from work.
                      All day Wednesday, Sat. and Sunday. If you're anywhere my un-press person can go I'll look ya up Wayne!

Here's to the Bear, Dago, Sept. Fury, Critical and the Buick (I think she's more of a Caddy) fighting each other in the Gold!
                      May the best man win!

Whoops, not PC, May the best PERSON win.

Leo
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by claylemon
                        Hey ecvsteve! 13 days until the beginning of the races. Have your inline buddies started to look nervous yet?

I see the Bear by the length of a CR Reserve bottle.

CLAY
                        Clay your missing with Voodoo now, your gunna wake up with a chicken head on yer pillow.
                        Inline or radial I think their all sweat'n bullets right now and just as questionable as to who will it be. Whos motor is the longest lasting. Who can stay on them pylons and short'n that course just a bit to make up for that extra MPH his competitor has.
                        Nobody can fly the pylons better than Skip. Bear will be on the outside of the course looking in and down on dago passing the flag.
                        And we will celebrate the greatest race on Earth.
                        I still got a bottle of JD on Dago to win.
                        ECVSteve
                        E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                        Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

• and the winner is...

All the air race fans that attend the races in 2003!

Ok, I 've been holding back on my predictions for the Unlimited Gold in '03...here goes...

Tiger shows up in his Spitfire Mk XIV built-to-the-hilt, is the first to break 500 mph in qualifying and then goes on to take it ALL!!!

1st Tiger in the Spit-witch

2nd Sani-hut in Double Threat

3rd ? in Mach Buster

But I AM serious!?!!?!?

Ok, ok...

1. Dago Red - hands down.

2. Critical Mass

3. September Fury

4. Voodoo

5. Dreadnought

6. Rare Bear - puffin' a little

7. Czech Mate

8. Spirit of Texas

WARPT

Comment

• Originally posted by ecvsteve

I still got a bottle of JD on Dago to win.

Your on Steve! This is going to be a great time in Reno. The competition will be great.

By the way, I was not trying to "mess" with VooDoo. I just like some fun rivalry. Oh, what happens if neither plane wins(Rare Bear or Dago). Does Wayne buy the JD?

Clay
                            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

• Me Buy?????

Originally posted by claylemon
                              Oh, what happens if neither plane wins(Rare Bear or Dago). Does Wayne buy the JD?
                              What... Me buy???

Hah!

So what if Critical Mass wins it.. or if those boys up in Seattle did a bit more than "paintin ground equpment" this year???

Hummn... nope.. left Nevada a long time ago cause I'm not a bettin man...

But always on the lookout for FREE BEEER

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

• Re: Me Buy?????

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                                FREE BEEER
                                Wayne

Free Beer?! Did somebody say Free Beer?

Clay
                                Rare Bear Fan Sponsor