Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready To Rumble? Who's Gonna Do What At Reno 2003?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the kind of situation that can get out of hand in a hurry. The action that RARA appears to have taken does not make any logical sense. Why p##s off one of your major competitors and run the risk that others will take up his cause. These guys aren't building these planes to get rich. I bet that many would choose to walk away before taking much crap.

I realize that there are saftey and legal issues to deal with during race week. But Stead is a working airport. There should be windows of time for the tenants to come and go.

Unfortunatly, the lack of competing events leaves RARA in the catbirds seat....for now.

Comment

....I wish I could get as much boost (pressure) as some
      of the egos in politics........

..........I've seen several "ruling" venues do similar things as described in this thread (all of it,both sites).....

.........politics just smells like fertilizer....
      ...............it doesn't grow anything.

Mayday51
      Jim Gallagher
      Mayday51
      Jim Gallagher

Comment

I couldn't beleive that this was for real until I had read the entire thread. I understand how passionate people can get about air racing. John and Mike are at heart speed freaks and great guys. I emplore you to send Mike an email. houghton@airrace.org

Chris
        "Two men, equally informed, seldom disagree"

Comment

T-6 Class

Should be an interesting year in the T-6 class.........RG
          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

T-6 Class

Has anyone seen any pics of Ken Dwelle's "new" T-6? I've heard a bit about it, but haven't actually seen it. Also, I was a bit disappointed to see that only 17 planes were registered in the T-6 class. That's not even enough to put 6 in each of the 3 classes (I know, I'm a math genious!!) Is there any chance that more will register between now and the races?? Let me know if you have any info!!

FBK

Go Race 12
            "Thumper"
            SNJ-5 (Secret Navy Jet)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
              Prove me a liar and I will be happy because John is racing. But I'm afraid it is real.
              Bill, I've never known you to be dishonest to me (or anyone) and I did not intend to imply so... Something like this is just sort of hard to fathom...

I hate negative information and hate to write about it, I suppose, since this is Air Race News, and that's what we're about here at AAFO.COM, I'll have to check into this further and see what's at the bottom of it all..

I only hope that I do not offend anyone and lose any standing with RARA. This website has always been about PROMOTING the sport of Air Racing and as many of the participants as humanly possible..

We'll continue to do that.. I guess sometimes we have to write about the bad news, as well as the good..

Wish me luck!

Wayne Sagar
              Editor,
              All Aviation FlightLine OnLine
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Made a little detour to Auburn today. CM looking pretty good. I didn't see too many people around the hangar.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever
                  Made a little detour to Auburn today. CM looking pretty good. I didn't see to many people around the hangar.
                  Well... that's GOOD news!!!!!!!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"Bill, I've never known you to be dishonest to me (or anyone) and I did not intend to imply so... Something like this is just sort of hard to fathom... "

I did not take it that Wayne. I just meant that if RARA says "What is all this about? What are you talking about? Of course John can race, he always could!" and I'm made the fool, it's okay by me.

I'd watch your press creditials dude. Tread lightly with RARA unless you do not care or want to take picture from the pits only. If they will uninvite a racer because he wants rights as a tenant, they won't think for a second about yanking your credentials. I know of a photographer that got kicked out last year. I think it was because he was too good.

Lastly, Wayne, can you move the John Parker stuff to it's own thread? I've kinda gummed up the works.

Bill Pearce
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I'm one of those dudes that got his credentials yanked a few years ago. I sent some critical emails to RARA and that was it!

That's okay with me. It saves me about $500 in photo expenses, and I started enjoying the races again, after ten years.

Comment

PARKER

RE JOHN PARKER; Is this anything like the RARA teck inspector that got uninvited by
                        RARA for finding domed pistons wile checking for them, and
                        then was "uninvited" for finding them?????????

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                          I'd watch your press creditials dude. Tread lightly with RARA unless you do not care or want to take picture from the pits only. If they will uninvite a racer because he wants rights as a tenant, they won't think for a second about yanking your credentials. I know of a photographer that got kicked out last year. I think it was because he was too good.
                          Well Bill, I'd sincerely hope that would not happen. I am trying to take the "unbiased" journalistic stance that we who call ourselves "Media" are unoficially "sworn" to take.

I only know what I've read here and elsewhere on this. I've been recouperating from a very shocking event of a couple weeks ago, losing someone I really liked and admired a lot. I have been a bit slow on the uptake on this particular subject.

As much as I'd just like this to "go away".. I will have to do my job and try to get to the bottom of this, get both sides of the story and report it in as unbiased of a way possible.

Or, perhaps, the "litigants" would like to speak here directly.

I'm just the person who pays the bills on this website, the person who tries only to pull messages that are directly personally insulting or inflammatory.

All I see here is a message thread that is very disappointing, so far, not personally insulting or damaging to anyone so I take no responsiblity for the content, if others see this differently and I have to watch the races from the pits this year and lose my credibility as a photojournalist.. then that will be what happens.

I do not think that this will happen.. I sincerely hope not.

I've just begun to climb ontop of a very long ladder, at least a few rungs up it anyway as an aviation photographer. If I can not get the photos, that will pretty much come to a quick end..

I find this whole thing very disappointing.. VERY...

Wayne Sagar
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

But Stead is a working airport.

You're right big bro!

This is a complete outrage! This man is a CUSTOMER of the airport. It is usually not very good for business to make your clients angry. They are the source of income for your business. I think I learned that in 1st or 2nd grade.

I hope somebody see's the error in this ordeal(other than the vast majority of us) and lets this man race his great airplane.

Clay P. Lloyd
                            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

I used to keep my sailplane at a small private airport. Whenever there was a competition held there, we tenants were required, if not participating, to remove our aircraft or at least trailer and store them in the "back lot". Unless participating, you could not fly from the field and tows were not available to you. A few got tweaked, I figured I knew it when I signed on so....
                              BUT, once the last competitor was down, the field was open to anyone.
                              My point is, what about all the after hours flying that does go on? In all the years I have been going the sky is filled in the evenings. There are even skydivers out near the Red Rock area. Are these all test and press flights? Does RARA have power over the FAA or the Airport Authority?
                              Just uninformed as I never have been sure who "closes" a public airport.

Leo
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

John Parker

If anybody can be unbiased, it's me!! I'm a relatively new follower of airracing (2 years) and do not know John Parker or any of the RARA officials at all, let alone on a personal basis.

From what I've read, it seems like Mr. Parker was being a little obnoxious with his request for 30 after-hours flight slots. However, if what has been written is true, this did not justify being uninvited to the races. I have to believe there is much more to this story than a dispute over some flight slots.

I saw the Thunder Mustang race last year, and it sure was a pretty sight. It would be a shame for the crowd be denied the privlidge of seeing that beautiful airplaned because a couple of over-aged adolesents need to flex their muscles.

The simple fact is that the two biggest airshows in the country, Oshkosh and Sun-N-Fun both have designated hours for the airport to be open to traffic. There is no reason why Stead can not be open after 5:00 when the races and shows are over.

Now, I also agree with Wayne that this site has been developed so that we can build up our excitment for the races and extend our enjoyment of this spectacle that only happens once a year. So lets get out of this depressing, political discussion, and talk about the racing that will thrill us in 3 weeks!!

FBK

Comment

Working...
                                X