Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great (running) Bristol Hercules video

What power these things have.

I feel a little funny sometimes watching these sleeve-valve machines run and thinking of what's gong on inside, with all those inner cylinder liner/valves moving up and down and twisting left and right dozens of times a second while the pistons go up and down inside them twice as fast(!), and what seems like dozens of valve-train gears up front spinning quickly like a Rolex watch running on Nitro, making all the bits mentioned above go 'round in perfect sync.

I bow to the masters who can and have designed such monsters that live and breathe and have SUCH great power! There be Dragons among us!

At around 3:27 watch the people to the left of the screen as he runs the revs up...

(Note: The video ends while the engine is still running).

Bristol Hercules demo
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEbDlNeMtLM&feature=related[/YT]
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM.

Re: Great (running) Bristol Hercules video

Very cool videos...
    here is another cool hercules vid..... 2 hercs running up
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFXn5JzGljc&feature=youtu.be[/YT]
    Last edited by kiwiracefan; 01-08-2012, 11:50 AM.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Awesome bird. If only the video had good audio. 2 Hercs would have sounded incredible.

I see a lot of engine run-up vids on Youtube, but not many have audio tracks that sound and FEEL like you are there. The latter is so important when witnessing these big recips to truly appreciate their power.

Sometimes at Stead when Rare Bear was cranking-up near the pits, I would want to (but didn't) lie flat on my back on the asphalt nearby and feel the vibrations and power course through my whole body. The soles of my feet can already lay claim to that pleasure .
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Sometimes at Stead when Rare Bear was cranking-up near the pits, I would want to (but didn't) lie flat on my back on the asphalt nearby and feel the vibrations and power course through my whole body. The soles of my feet can already lay claim to that pleasure

I had the privilage of working on the ramp for several years on Tow Seven.

One year they had The Bear out on the ramp to do some run ups.
        We got pretty close with no second looks.I got out of the rig and walked up as close as I dared.Probably 10' from the wing tip.Not sure what power setting they had run up to.What I can say is with ear plugs and earmuffs BOTH it still hurt my ears.The most sensational feeling though was the preception of feeling the power through out my whole body.
        It felt as awesome as it sounded.3000-4000 hp close up is very fun indeed!

They backed down the power and slowly brought it back to idle, then shut down.I walked back to the truck and my buddy Ray asked if my face hurt? I said what? He said "I never seen anybody with such a big smile in their face.Just wanted to know if your face hurt"

I know what they mean when they say "feel the power"

Brian(B2)

Live Free or Die
        Last edited by BKB; 01-09-2012, 10:40 PM. Reason: content

Comment

Working...
        X