modified merlin heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: modified merlin heads

Hi guys, first post for me on here, I'm the guy doing the modifications to these heads, thought I should get on here & give some insight into the work & the gains expected.

I'm going to keep this in laymans terms as much as possible - I don't know how much you guys in general know about engine design & modification, so I'll keep it in simple terms, if anyone want more in depth info just ask.

First up, the stock port design is very poor, not really suprising considering they were designed in the 20's before anyone really knew a lot about airflow through cylinder heads.
    There are a few important things to consider when designing a port - flow is only one of them, also of critical importance is port size (or cross sectional area), the size of the port determines air speed through the port. Too large a port has very low air speed, low air speed does not produce any significant inertia ram effect - air has weight, like anything else, inertia is a function of weight & speed, increase the speed & you increase the inertia. Get the speed 'right' & the effect is that once on the induction stroke the inertia of the air built during the downstroke of the piston allows the air to keep flowing into the cylinder even after the piston has reached bottom dead centre & pressure in the cylinder is actually higher than that in the intake runner - the inertia of the air keeps it moving into the cylinder. This allows for greater than 100% fill of the cylinder.
    Another critical dimension is intake runner length, the intake valve as it shuts creates a high pressure pulse that runs up the intake runner & is reflected off the runner entry (a pressure pulse will reflect from a significant change in cross section - like a runner entry), if the intake runner is 'tuned' to the right length you can set it up so that that reflectedhigh pressure pulse arrives back at the intake valve just as it is opening, giving the intake charge a head start on cylinder fill.
    Both the runner cross section & runner length (& taper) can be calculated for any engine, this is common practice in modern competition engines, merlins are no different, they will respond in the same way as any other engine.
    Now I'm gonna talk about flow, flow is measured in cubic feet per minute on a flow bench - a depression is pulled across the port & the valve/s opened at set intervals (usually .100" steps), the amount of air moving through the port is measured by the flow bench.
    As well as measuring raw flow on a flow bench you can also look at the quality of the air flow - is it turbulent, does it separate from the port short turn at higher lift, how much does it swirl into the chamber etc etc.

The stock merling ports are very turbulent, no need to even use a velocity probe to determine the pulsing, you can hear it - very loudly! They have an ear piercing screech, the worst sound you can hear when flowing a head, that noise says the port is fighting itself & air is bouncing around where it shouldn't, the manometer on the flow bench was bouncing up & down to the point where actually taking a measurement was difficult & ended up having to be averaged from several tests.

In contrast the modified ports on these head have a nice stable sound & the manometer remained steady.

The average intake velocity on the stock heads was down under 200ft/s - hard to measure with the port behaving so badly, but somewhere around there.
    The modified heads were much higher, around 280ft/s, very close to ideal for inertia ram.

So basically the new ports are much smaller, faster & a massive amount more stable than the stock ports, they flow a massive 23% better than the stock ports despite being around 1/2 the cross section.

In simple terms more intake flow means less boost is required to move the same amount of air, or more air can be moved at the same boost.
    This has further knock on effects, the lower boost requirement means the source of the boost (be it a supercharger or tubocharger) is not working as hard to move the air, which for a supercharger means it does not require as much engine power to drive & for a turbo means less backpressure (which means less pumping losses & residual ex gas left in the cylnder), both of which will see significant net gains in engine power above the gains see by improved air flow & quality of air flow, so you basically double dip - you get more power from better flowing heads & reduce parasitic losses into the bargain.

All this means that these heads along with new intake & ehxaust manifolds *should* produce power gains in the region of 35-40%, provided the turbo's do not run out of puff - which they may well do.

Comment

KnightEngines,

Thank you for jumping on here and explaining everything! If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

1. How stable were you able to make the flow in the modified heads? 50% of modern high-po heads, 75%?
      2. What is the effect of stable flow on reliability. Less chance of detonation since the amount of air entering the cylinders is more consistent?

Thanks,
      Serge.

Comment

They were dead stable up to .700" lift - as high as we could go before retainer clearance stopped us opening the valves any more.
        As good as any modern head.

Stable flow (not seperating or turbulent) simply results in better cylinder fill, the air is not fighting itself to get into the cylinder so the full potential of the port size is utilised - basically allowing a smaller port to move more air at higher velocity & increasing the efficiency.

Stable flow can also improve in-cylinder fuel distribution, reducing pockets of lean and rich mixtures, so yes, the chance of detonation can be reduced.

Comment

Is your intake tract filled with air/fuel mixture or do you inject fuel at the ports?

You might also want to read the thread linked below and see what happened here last time someone suggested using modern engine management.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
          Last edited by IcePaq; 01-30-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Fuel is injected at the top of the intake manifold runners with injectors firing straight down the runner entries, intake is yet to be made but it'll be a single plenum design with optimal runner lengths.

I had a bit of a read in that link - do the air race guys really believe modern EFI would not benefit them reliability wise?
            Hell, I thought some car racers were a bit backwards!

I find it almost comical that the air race guys don't look to automotive developments for ideas, they just plod away doing it the same way they always have & blowing it up for the same reasons they always have.

Full sequential EFI gives precise metering of fuel to each individual cylinder, eliminating the risk of any rouge lean cylinders & the damage that can be caused by them & allowing significant power gains via being able to tune each cylinder to optimum rather than running the whole lot pig rich to cover the lean cylinders.

Not to mention superchargers - the merlin blowers are ancient & very inneficient, I can understand why turbo's are not used, the plumbing would be more than a little tricky, but there are now modern centrifugal blowers much, much more efficient than the old style blowers.
            A pair of, for example, Prochargers, would be capable of easily pumping more air than a merlin blower whilst draining significantly less engine power to drive them, they could even be mounted in the same position & driven by the original shaft & a splitter gearbox.

Combine modern supercharger technology, modern EFI, modern manifold design & modern head port design & there is no reason power output approaching 5000hp with as little as 30psi boost is not feasable along with better reliability. Assuming of corse that engine components are not pushed beyond their physical strength.

Comment

I was thinking that one could inject the fuel close to the port to ensure that as little of the induction system as possible is filled with an explosive mixture of fuel and air.

The ADI could be injected where it is currently injected.

This would allow you to get rid of the backfire screens because the charge is not combustible until it passes the fuel injectors.
              Last edited by IcePaq; 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

So when you get that motor all assembled and broke in, run it at the same rpm/power and load as the planes run. I have a sneaky feeling you will be bumping your head against the same walls as the backward tuners your talking about here.

A tractor pulling rig runs at max HP for what 1-3 seconds?
                A race prepped merlin aircraft motor runs at 90%+ power for what 10 minutes? Plus the aircraft motors in these planes must also fly them to the races and in most cases fly them home also. In an airplane you dont get the option of shutting it down and walking back to the pits. Blow a motor and you have many many things you must deal with while still maintaining control. So whats your solution for connecting rods, bearings, cranks and all the fasteners that hold these monsters together? Also remember that your not spinning gears and wheels, you have a flexing/vibrating prop out front that is controlled by a mechanism that adjusts the prop pitch.

They use the ancient technology because it works, and works well. Many have tried what your talking about and always seem to go back to what gets the pilot back down with all the whirly bits in their proper places. To me, a safe recovery is the most important part of racing aircraft.

I am not knocking you or your efforts and I fully support your efforts to produce a monster tractor pull motor. I just feel its an apples to oranges comparison.

Anyway, I would love to be proven wrong.

Bob

Comment

EFI can only add to reliability - even if it is not used to make more power better cyl/cyl fuel distribution eliminating lean cylinder can only be a good thing.

I've had a hand in several open class (turbocharged big block) ski race engines - those things will sit at peak power rpm for 40 minutes or more & be subjected to massively varying loads & vibration - far worse than any plane.
                  I also build for speedway, which, without doubt, is the most brutal form of motorsport when it comes to engine loads.

In short, given the needed budget there is nothing that cannot be overcome - weak rods? - get new ones carved from billet (won't be cheap, but how much do inferior allison rods sell for?).
                  If bearings are failing then the oiling system or bearing material needs looking at - modern dry sump pumps, carefull porting of oil galleries & external feeds where required could sort any issues.

The cranks are plenty strong, if they are breaking then it's time to look at harmonics & dynamically balance them at every main journal - failing that I know of several companies capable of machining a crank from scratch from billet.

Fasteners? - if ARP cannot supply what is required there are plenty of other options.

This is all exactly what I'm saying, guys are having problems, why not look at what automotive racers are doing to solve these same problems, it's all been seen before & solutions have been found.

With the cost of sourcing & preparing 70 year old engine components it makes far more sense to basically pull the engine down & throw away pretty much everything bar the block & head castings then start from scratch will billet pieces designed to take the loads rather than 70 year old stuff that was never designed to do what is being asked & was made a long time before current manufacturing technology massively increased quality control. Not to mention modern materials - if the designers back then had the alloys & alloyed steels we have now to work with you wouldn't be having as many failures.

Comment

If you have the money and time to develop the program, redesign and mill the parts needed, then go for it. I'm sure more than one team would be interested if you could prove the stability/reliability of the program and make it AFFORDABLE to them.

BUT...

You have to remember, these planes fly *maybe* 5 or 6 times a year if that, and are only pushed to their limits at Reno. The prize money they get for winning a one time a year event, doesn't even cover their expenses for the week at Reno.

Lets face it even with the newest of new tech/parts/metals, you never know when an engine will make metal, or grenade. Is it really worth it to these guys to invest that kind of money and time into an unproven program? Esp with the return they get for winning the gold.

Up the prize money to that of NASCAR, F1, and INDY Car, add about 6 more races to the calendar year. You would see more and more, the time and money invested to develop the engine programs, and new parts made of the strongest/lightest materials.

Rite now it is a labor of love for the teams, Not a career.

Comment

Yeah, I know that, I couldn't even do most of the development myself anyway - just making a point.

Dunno what it costs to build a race merlin - can't imagine it being a cheap excersize tho, it'd definately cost more to develop an engine with a more modern approach, but I would think in terms of long term cost effectiveness it'd be worthwile.
                      A dead merlin costs a lot, if you can make it live significantly longer it'd pay for itself in the long run.

IMHO if you can afford to run an unlimited reno racer $$ is not your primary concern in life..................

Comment

One think you need to realise as I've read your comments pertaining to what you percieve as poor quality aircraft part's, is the fact is the stuff your working on is the junk. Meteor engine's were originally made by Rolls and the parts used in them were culls from the aircraft lines. Later on the engine's were built entirely by Rover-----non-aircraft basically autmotive style stuff, for tanks. Rolls parts in particular were very nicely made, extensively engineered and well thought out. So in all fairness, don't compare Meteor tank engine parts to the RR Merlin 724 (or other Rolls aircraft) parts, there is no comparison, other than likeness of shape.

Comment

Eh? - those WERE merlin aircraft heads, the engine uses a tank block as it's iron (heavy is good in a tractor puller) & cheap, crank & rods are aircraft merlin.

This stuff was designed over 70 years ago, yes it was very good in it's time - but that time is out of living memory for most people.
                          Both engineering smarts & materials developments have progressed a huge amount in those 70 years, stuff from back then cannot be compared to modern gear.

The valves were a prime example - massive thick stems required for strength due to better materials not being available, resulting in very heavy valves whose stems take up a proportionally huge amound of space in the port. By comparison I replaced them with Ferrea competition valves, literally 1/2 the weight, much, much stronger, much better fatiuge life cycle, much higher temperature handling, much harder on the contact face & stems so they wear much less & smaller stem size takes up heaps less room in the port (more room for air).

The merlin valves were the best they could do back then, nowadays we can do a whole lot better.
                          Pick any part of a merlin engine & you could say the same thing - it could be stronger, lighter, more wear resistant, handle more duty cycles & be made to closer tolerances if it was made using modern techniques & materials.
                          Last edited by KnightEngines; 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

No, those are not aircraft heads--- those are tank heads.......

Comment

Knight engines, thanks for sharing pics and info on this project, very impressive!

Wolfee, my guess is the payout at a tractor pull makes the Reno purse look like a NASCAR purse. To say don't make any improvements cause it might blow up is silly. They already BLOW UP! There isn't a top contender that hasn't had several major failures in the development of their engine program. My uneducated guess is that this port & revolve job is much less involved than an Allison rod conversion is.

Comment

Cat,

That is what I was saying, please re read that paragraph.

An engine new or old, titanium or cast iron is going to blow when pushed to it's limits. It's just a matter of when.

Also, while the prize money may be less, they have tractor pulls almost every weekend. There is what 50 to 100 unlimited tractors, under contract with 2 or 3 promoters, doing pulls 40 to 45 shows a year. The prize money at the end of the year for the top contenders makes the total purse for the gold look like chump change.

I really have no clue how may tractors, promoters, or shows they do a year. I just pulled some reasonable numbers out of my head. Either way, it's a lot more than we have in Air racing.

Comment

Working...
                                X