Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AvWeb poll

I totally agree Cindy.
    A problem is the general public's knowledge of what goes on is what they read in the paper or see on the news and they see experimental as just that, do anything you want without regard for safety. It has been stated that way in editorial after editorial I've read.
    It would go a long way if the RGJ could do a series of fairly simple articles outlining pilot requirements, aircraft safety, course safety and a little history. Something for the non-aviation minded. Maybe more would see it differently. I won't hold my breath for that.
    Local news stations this morning ran the story of the NTSB hearings today. All of them that I saw (2) stated the hearings were about air racing "around the country" and ran a continuous loop of the crash video.
    I don't see how anything practical would make it safer and don't want it ruined by some over-eager changes.
    I still think that for the short term and the future the public's perception of what this sport really is, is going to be key to survival. the jeannie is out of the bottle so to say and now it has to be controlled.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

As a current Tech Inspector in another form of racing, I can tell you that it is the most thankless job in the world, and a very efficient way of taking years and years worth of personal friendships and throwing them out the window because those friends don't want ot hear what you have to say.

Well, the way I look at it is that crack that I just pointed out to you? I found it because you obviously DIDN'T when you did your pre/post race check. It was pretty obvious to me...how did you manage to miss it? I know it's expensive. I know it's going to be a bitch to fix. But wouldn't you rather I point it out to you in the pits BEFORE it breaks on the race course? I'm not out to get you...I'm out to save you...with an indifferent set of eyes.

A lot of racers are more worried about what the other guys is doing rather than tending to their own charge.

I am going to trust that you're smart enough to know the rules, and by the time you show up at the race your mount is going to be race-worthy (i.e. your airplane should have already had it's Annual, and therefore have the blessings of the FAA to go flying in it's licensed category as well as within the specific rules of the race class). And that includes having thoroughly tested any new modifications you've made BEFORE you get here.

I don't know what the policy is at Reno as far as the role of the Tech Inspectors. I know in my sport I kind of have the carte blanche to open up and look into anything I want at any time during the event. I kind of make it my business to 'see and be seen' by all the teams, and I try to check out each team before and after each heat race. Not so much to be a d*ck about it, but more as a reminder that I'm there looking to catch stuff that you may have missed and that maybe you want to go double-check everything to find things wrong before I catch them.

So while a 'different level' of the Tech Inspection may very well be a valid suggestion, I think before that happens everyone needs to understand what the job description actually is. What exactly is it you want them to look for? And if the right person isn't assigned to the job, you can end up with what one of the classes ran into last year that caused all sorts of issues....which is even worse than not having a definition of what to look for.

Bottom line, I would tend to put more of the responsibility back on the race teams themselves to be more prepared when they show up, as opposed to putting the responsibility on the Tech Inspectors to 'find it'.

Just my worthless .02.

Comment

I, for one would love to se some "simple" articles on FAA requirements for experimental/racing aircraft and their check procedures. This earth bound knucklehead couldn't make heads or tails of the FAA site. ( if somebody here wants to give an abreviated version, please do)

Big Jim I agree completely on your post, having come from auto racing.

But, if there is more placed on the experimental/racer inspection/flight worthyness criteria....with that I believe would come even more inspector responsibility, and possible litigation ramifications. Those wanting to sign on the perverbial dotted line may become extinct. IMHnewbO
        Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Working...
        X