Our response to hearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our response to hearings

According to this, it would appear the NTSB hearings on air race/airshow saftey would like our opinion by Feb 17th...what do you think?

Press release date: December 20, 2011

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) today announced the preliminary agenda for a one-day hearing on air show and air race safety. The hearing, which is open to all and free to attend (there is no registration), will be held on Tuesday, January 10, 2012, and will begin at 9:30 am EST.

The NTSB has invited to the proceedings, entitled "Air Race and Air Show Safety Hearing", government agencies, aviation event trade associations, show organizers, and air show participants to serves as witnesses. During the hearing, they will give presentations on regulations and oversight and aviation event operations. Following each topic area presentation, there will be a question and answer discussion with Board Members.

The purpose of the meeting is to (1) bring public attention to the safety issues involved in aviation event operations; and (2) provide NTSB Members and investigative staff with a deeper understanding of regulations, protocols and practices used in the planning and operations of air shows and air races. Information gathered in the hearing will assist NTSB staff in the investigation of air show and air race incidents and accidents.

Organizations and individuals can submit written materials for inclusion in the NTSB's Public Docket for this hearing. Submissions should directly address one or more of the hearing's topic areas and should be submitted to airrace_airshow@ntsb.gov. The deadline for receipt is February 17, 2012.

The hearing will be held in the NTSB Board Room and Conference Center, located at 429 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W., Washington, D.C. (directions may be found at http://www.ntsb.gov/about/contact.html). The public can view the forum in person or by webcast at www.ntsb.gov.

NTSB Media Contact:
    Terry Williams
    terry.williams@ntsb.gov
    202-314-6100

Re: Our response to hearings

I plan to make a submission. I haven't started composing it just yet, but I fully intend to.

Comment

Just a quick thought to keep in mind...

The NTSB is not a regulatory agency. It's mission is investigatory only and because of that, it has no ability to impose a decision, positive or negative. It is because of this structure that they have been able to remain more neutral and objective throughout their history and we have enjoyed (in my opinion, mind you) a safer transportation system, both in the air and on the surface - land and sea. That is not to say they (or the FAA) are immune to political pressure...just that the initial framework is fairly sound.

I offer this not to discourage anyone from submitting information to them during this process. On the contrary, I think it is important to work to influence their opinions to the greatest degree possible, just as RARA will do. Instead I share it to help us all keep in mind the target audience when we write (as I intend to do.) The NTSB will have the public eye and state an opinion - which is important but not as important as the ability to say go/no-go.

The true regulatory decision will be made by the folks in several of the FAA Safety offices. Having just a bit of experience with them, I believe they will be tough but fair and will rely much more heavily on what real experts in the field have to say. Truthfully, at times this has been much to the chagrin of the NTSB and has been a long standing tension - the NTSB recommends and the FAA decides and those two don't always match up. Not digging at either entity...both have had their moments good and bad. Just pointing out the different goals/missions.

I, for one, am hopeful. Maybe I'm a bit naive but in our case I think that the expert knowledge, trust, and personal relationships will trump any political posturing. The fact that, in all honesty, 99.9% of the population doesn't care what we run off and do in the desert of Nevada (see Burning Man!) means there isn't much political clout to be flexed. Combine that with the fact the ranking Senator (who is from the current administration's own party) doesn't care to lose $85M worth of economic stimulus for his state...means there simply isn't political will of any significance to overcome. In theory that means a decision based much more on reality than on spin...and that greatly favors our objective.

Finances still seem to me to be the biggest obstacle but RARA didn't really paint a horrible picture on that end at the presser. Instead, they clearly communicated a plan to go forward no matter what indicating money has been or will be worked out. Good news in my book.

In the end, if we need to be made safer, we will. After that, I think we will be going racing...

Best,

James

Comment

James,
        Well stated. Makes perfect sense to me. S~

Comment

Yes, very well stated indeed! I would encourage everyone to send in a statement. Its your way of voting. I have no idea if they will be getting 200 or whatever statements from house owners that dont like airplanes or not and I dont care. I would just like to stand up and be counted.
          I too remain optomistic.

Great evil is down when good men do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
            Just a quick thought to keep in mind...

The NTSB is not a regulatory agency. It's mission is investigatory only and because of that, it has no ability to impose a decision, positive or negative. It is because of this structure that they have been able to remain more neutral and objective throughout their history and we have enjoyed (in my opinion, mind you) a safer transportation system, both in the air and on the surface - land and sea. That is not to say they (or the FAA) are immune to political pressure...just that the initial framework is fairly sound.

I offer this not to discourage anyone from submitting information to them during this process. On the contrary, I think it is important to work to influence their opinions to the greatest degree possible, just as RARA will do. Instead I share it to help us all keep in mind the target audience when we write (as I intend to do.) The NTSB will have the public eye and state an opinion - which is important but not as important as the ability to say go/no-go.

The true regulatory decision will be made by the folks in several of the FAA Safety offices. Having just a bit of experience with them, I believe they will be tough but fair and will rely much more heavily on what real experts in the field have to say. Truthfully, at times this has been much to the chagrin of the NTSB and has been a long standing tension - the NTSB recommends and the FAA decides and those two don't always match up. Not digging at either entity...both have had their moments good and bad. Just pointing out the different goals/missions.

I, for one, am hopeful. Maybe I'm a bit naive but in our case I think that the expert knowledge, trust, and personal relationships will trump any political posturing. The fact that, in all honesty, 99.9% of the population doesn't care what we run off and do in the desert of Nevada (see Burning Man!) means there isn't much political clout to be flexed. Combine that with the fact the ranking Senator (who is from the current administration's own party) doesn't care to lose $85M worth of economic stimulus for his state...means there simply isn't political will of any significance to overcome. In theory that means a decision based much more on reality than on spin...and that greatly favors our objective.

Finances still seem to me to be the biggest obstacle but RARA didn't really paint a horrible picture on that end at the presser. Instead, they clearly communicated a plan to go forward no matter what indicating money has been or will be worked out. Good news in my book.

In the end, if we need to be made safer, we will. After that, I think we will be going racing...

Best,

James

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Well said!

Comment

Well put. You hit the nail on the head. This is just heresay. I know a pilot who talked to an FAA person who regulated Air Shows and he conveyed to said pilot that in his opinion the Air Races will happen. Cross your fingers and throw some salt over your shoulder.

Frank C.

Comment

Working...
              X