Mystery P-47 in Beckwourth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery P-47 in Beckwourth?

Does any one have any information on a P-47 parked on the ramp at the Beckwourth, CA. airport. A week ago Sunday, we were driving from Truckee to Honey Lake to see a MX race and I decited to take what I thought would be a shot cut up Hwy 89. I made a wrong turn on Hwy 70 and turned around at the airport and of course I was trying to check out the airplanes on the ramp and here is this P-47 setting there on the ramp. It looked complete and flyable not pristine, but ready to go. It was overall aluminum, not polished, with D-day stripes and I think it had a white rudder. Didn't have time to see the N' number as I was on the gas and the wife was telling me to quit looking at the damn airplanes and watch the road. I was really surprised to see a P-47, maybe a P-51 or T-28 or something like that but a P-47!
    Anyway does anyone know about the plane?
    Thanks
    Mike

Yo Mike,

this plane is based out of Beckworth. Saw it flying one day and thot I was hearing one of the unlimiteds. Like you said, it isn't polished up, but sure did look good flying. Noticed it when we passed the airport on the way back home. It was late and didn't see anyone at the airport to talk too. But I do know from some friends that it is based there. Will try this weekend to find out for you. MG
    MG

Comment

That P-47 that was mentioned a couple of weeks ago is based at Beckwourth (for now). It will leave for Knoxville Tn in Sept. It is owned by John Shofner who also owns the Albatross that is at the same airport. There is a flyin/pancake breakfast on Sept 7th and they are asking if any of the pilots from the air races who would like to do a fly -by, to please do so. And if they want to land, the runway length is 4500'. Just resurfaced a couple of monthes ago. Mike G
      MG

Comment

Working...
      X