"THE GALLOPING GHOST" Qualifying Reno 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE GALLOPING GHOST" Qualifying Reno 2011

I put some footage together for the NTSB and thought I’d throw it up on line.
    Here is Jimmy Leeward ripping off a 465mph qual lap during the early part of the week, Reno 2011.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason S.; 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM.
    Jason Schillereff

Re: "THE GALLOPING GHOST" Qualifying Reno 2011

Thanks Jason

Comment

Jason, thanks, indeed...

I noticed something in your video, can't tell for sure where on the course he is, because you're so well up on him that the pylon does not show but I'm thinking about just before pylon 4, Ghost belches a big puff of... extra thick vapor?... Exactly what we saw on Friday on his last time round us.

I'm thinking this was something related to the lay of the land between pylon 3, guide, and 4, exiting for 5... would he have been "pushing" a bit there following the descending terrain? If the boiler suddenly had a bit of negative or even neutral "G", would that cause a bit of a "flutter" in what we would see out the steam vent? (maybe some solid water gets up there and vaporizes, visibly, loudly out the vent)....

Saw some brief speculation that the "puff" seen on Friday *could* have something to do with what happened a quarter lap later.. I'm betting it is completely unrelated.

Again, Thanks Jason!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Jason, thanks, indeed...

I noticed something in your video, can't tell for sure where on the course he is, because you're so well up on him that the pylon does not show but I'm thinking about just before pylon 4, Ghost belches a big puff of... extra thick vapor?... Exactly what we saw on Friday on his last time round us.

I'm thinking this was something related to the lay of the land between pylon 3, guide, and 4, exiting for 5... would he have been "pushing" a bit there following the descending terrain? If the boiler suddenly had a bit of negative or even neutral "G", would that cause a bit of a "flutter" in what we would see out the steam vent? (maybe some solid water gets up there and vaporizes, visibly, loudly out the vent)....

Saw some brief speculation that the "puff" seen on Friday *could* have something to do with what happened a quarter lap later.. I'm betting it is completely unrelated.

Again, Thanks Jason!
        Thanks guys and yes Wayne, I believe you are correct about the negative G’s causing the boiler to “purge” at the pylon 4 area.
        Jason
        P.S. I’ll be posting more qualifying from other planes next, check back soon.
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Jason,

Thank you very much. As always nicely done.

Comment

Outstanding, Jason, Thankyou for bringing a tear to my eye. Rad

Comment

Thanks Jason.

Frank C.

Comment

Once again- Thanks, Jason f/sharing your excellent video footage.

Here's a still of Jimmy & The Ghost's 465.807-mph Q-Run on Tue. 9/13/11 taken fm Outer 7 Pylon to go w/your motion picture capture.

DBD
                Attached Files

Comment

Simply Beautiful...

Comment

Beautiful video Jason, thanks so much for sharing .....

Comment

What a beautiful sight, sheer poetry from start to finish. A maestro and his instrument.

Comment

Outstanding work Jason.
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust
                        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I am going to miss that airplane
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust
                          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Noticed this at Reno this year as well as in your vid, the GG has some very unique harmonics coming out of that plane at high speeds. Very different from any other mustang racer I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post
                              Noticed this at Reno this year as well as in your vid, the GG has some very unique harmonics coming out of that plane at high speeds. Very different from any other mustang racer I've ever heard.
                              I thought it was just me and my newb status.....but I would like to think I have an ear for "go fast"....whether its a stroked small block Chevy or a hopped up Merlin. It just sounded fast in the different vids I've seen....BTW great vid....I haven't decided if I picked the worst or the best time to become consumed by this sport.....but do feel jipped not having met Jimmy or seen GG.
                              Last edited by xmh53wrench; 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM.
                              Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Working...
                              X