Family Assistance Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Assistance Fund

I wanted to let you know that I've been asked to be a member of the Family Assistance Fund Committee, and I've said yes, which means I'll be helping to make decisions about how the funds are distributed to the survivors (I hate the word "victim") and families.

The Committee has received its first urgent request. At the moment this is all I know. A gentleman in Washington State (I don't know if it's Larry, can someone check?) is being released from the hospital on November 6th and work needs to be done to make his home accessible. Work has begun to find donations of material and workmen.

One of the things that may be needed is pilots who are willing to fly volunteers to Washington to do the work.

Obviously if you know people who can help in Washington, that would make more sense, but we're sort of planning for the less than best case scenario.

So, if you have contacts in Washington that might be able to help with materials, if you know tradesmen, please give them a heads up. If you might be able to fly volunteers from Reno to Washington, please let me know.

I'm waiting for details and I'll post them as soon as I have them.

As always, thanks everyone for the help.
    Last edited by sandramore; 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Family Assistance Fund

What town in Washington?

Comment

Originally posted by RBB View Post
      What town in Washington?
      I have a call in trying to find out. When I posted that, they were supposed to call me right back with details. Obviously that hasn't happened. lol

Comment

I may be able to assist assuming location and schedule permit. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Hey everyone,

I spoke with Tracy Cruz. She and Larry are the family in Washington. They live in Graham. She tells me that Larry is due to be home on November 13th.

Tracy's brother is a contractor, so he's drawn up the plans. Here's what they're doing:

Her brother is going to start demolition on the bathroom this coming Wednesday. They are going to enlarge the bathroom by 3ft, and enlarge the entry into the bathroom. They're going to need some items for the bathroom, to make it easier for Larry to shower, etc. They're also planning to build a ramp for Larry's use until he can get rid of the wheelchair.

Tracy tells me that more than manpower, they need materials or the money to cover the materials. Tracy's brother is taking unpaid leave from his job to try to get this done. He anticipates 72 hours to do it all. If we have a couple of people who can help do the work, that will cut down on the money he will lose while working at Larry's. Also, if you can donate, so we can try to make up some of his lost wages that would help also.

A call is in to Home Depot Corporate to ask their permission for a local store to donate materials. If you know anyone at a local Home Depot there that can call from that end, or someone else in the business that can help by donating material, please give them a call and let me know how it goes.

Think Kindness is going to do its best to cover whatever needs to be bought, but obviously, if we can get it donated, the funds will go further and help more families.

Next, Tracy says her friend in the box seats next to them lost her husband at the airport. Their 16-year old son is trying to step up and do everything. She hasn't been willing to ask for help from "strangers." Apparently Larry has also said he doesn't want "strangers" in the house touching his stuff. lol As Tracy and I discussed, we're not strangers.

Anyway, Tracy's friend has 10 acres and needs help related to the property. Anybody know how to drive a tractor?

I understand she also needs help getting some wood in. At a minimum, Tracy says she has the wood, but the rounds need splitting and then the wood needs to be delivered the six miles down the road to the friend.

If you can help or can help me coordinate this so Tracy's not inundated with calls, drop me a PM or an email.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X