Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

I read the whole thread looking for an XB-70, and Bill posted one right above me!

Everyday flyer
    My stock Bearcat

Racer
    Super clean late model Spitfire with a race prepped Griffon

My nuclear deterrent bomber
    XB-70

Or

Perhaps I will just buy the whole U.S. Air Force Museum?
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
      I read the whole thread looking for an XB-70, and Bill posted one right above me!

Everyday flyer
      My stock Bearcat

Racer
      Super clean late model Spitfire with a race prepped Griffon

My nuclear deterrent bomber
      XB-70

Or

Perhaps I will just buy the whole U.S. Air Force Museum?
      I have to say seeing an XB70 fly would be really cool. I read a quote from one of the crew members or pilots in one of my books on the Sr71 (I guess it would have been the A12 program at the time. Might have been the YF12 program as well ) that went something to the tune of (A12 pilot) "We flew higher and faster than you guys did today" (The XB70 guy) "Oh yeah, well we lost pieces of the plane bigger than your entire airplane" I think the quote can be found in "Blackbird Rising" by Donn Brynes and Kennith Hurley. I think it was Ken Hurley who was working on both projects at the same time. Some of the things such as navigation system started on the XB70 but were incorporated into the A12/YF12/Sr71 program. Blackbird Rising is a good book, worth reading.

I think I need an A26 Invader, an AD6 Skyraider, A P2V Neptune, as well as a Griffon powered Spitfire (the one with clipped wings and a bubble canopy.) to add to the collection as well. The Ryan Fireball is an interesting one, my great uncle flew them. Is there one still down in Chino?

Will

Comment

I would most definately start with a Mustang. Then move on to a Corsair, a Spitfire, and a Bearcat to round out the high performance machines. Then a Fat Face Skyraider would do nicely! As for jets, I have always been and will always be in love with the F-86 thanks to a book I read as a kid about Joseph McConnell Jr. A T-38 or F-5 would make a great toy in addition to the Sabre. I need a 450 horse Stearman also. Also need a DC-3 to haul my friends around in. Not very fast but a whole lot of round engine fun!

On the practical side, a T-6 to keep me honest, a C-180 or 185 to hit those back country camping spots with the family, and a Husky or Super Cub to keep dropping salt blocks here on the ranch. Oh yeah,also for the ranch work, some sort of helicopter would be great, like a Long Ranger.

Oh yeah, I forgot! If I had the funds, I would most definately save my all time favorite racer Dago Red and hire a team to help me round the pylons every year. Or.....just run the practice laps and let Skip actually do the serioius racin' !!!

Man....this is fun!!! Do you all know how much time I have waisted in my life thinking of this very question!? I don't know how many times I would get singled out in school by the teacher because I wasn't paying attention, usually becasue I was dreaming of this very subject (or possibily girls)!

Thanks for posting this. It is fun!!!!

Comment

P-51 BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL and rebuild RED BARON, Conquest and old style Miss America. (also a Mosquito & Fokker D-VIII). Thanks, KC

Comment

damn it how could i forget the westland whirlwind!!!!!
            and to round off the twins a sparrow build merlin powered dh hornet

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
              Does anyone remember the Fiat fighter that was at Reno many years ago, that needs to be back here in the states every September!

I agree with the Tigercat and the others since I last commented. I'm realizing the first purchase needs to be an airport! Maybe a decomissioned airforce base... wonder what Stead would cost?

The A-26 was one I realized last night as I was falling asleep was one I forgot, in fact to be honest, if I ended up "slightly rich" that would actually be my first choice.

How about a Westland Whirlwind? I am a fan of those and I'm not sure there are any remaining? Also an HE-100 in speed record form seems to be something we should all want to see!

We sort of already have an MB-5 although I might want to see one done more accurately, we also need someone to bring back a CA-15! If I was still involved in R/C warbird racing that would be my next model.

Another aircraft that would incredible to see would be an XP-72! Wonder how fast you could make one of those go around the course?

Here is a question, am I the only one that wonders what someone could have done with a P-47 as the base for an unlimited racer?

Oh, some folks have noticed you need an off field smaller plane for some types of the fun you want to have with a plane, so I'd definitely see a Cessna Bird Dog and maybe Westland Lysander in my collected for those bush flying days, heck even a Super Cub would have to be part of the stable!

Anyways, thanks for the answers so far! Can't wait to see what other folks come up with!

Spacegrrrl
              Grrrl; I believe that was Guido Zuccoli(sp) flying the Fiat G59 in 1987 my first year at Reno.
              And NO you aren't the only one that's wondered about a P-47 unlimited! MEEEEE 2!

Comment

it was guido's g59b
                she still belongs to his family(though it hasnt flown for awhile)

a beautiful plane

Comment

Boy did this thread inspire a lot wild imaginations!

As for me I think I'd start with something nice and little(?)and intimate: an F3F-3 just like the one in the static display this year but all flush rivited and slickened up for more speed with a blueprinted engine, slick cowl and a big prop spinner.
                  For something bigger and Meaner it'd have to be the Hawker Tempest V. I was surprised to see someone else with the same thought.
                  And to get really wild the Kyushu J7W-1 Shinden (Divine Wind) would be a one of a kind in any crowd!

Comment

Are you kidding? P-51..the only way to fly. Well.....if it's UNLIMITED funds, add in a deHavilland Hornet or a Dornier Do-335 (always wondered about the potential of a pull & push arrangement)

Comment

How about a Ryan Fireball....and then spend some time wondering which class to race in!!

At the end of the day though...Corsairs just make me giddy.

Comment

TA-4F Skyhawk for the jet class and for longer trips.
                        T6 for the T6 class, and just plain fun to fly! looks like all the Mustangs are taken!
                        would have to save up for one though.would give alot to bring Lefty's P38 back home where it belongs.
                        Ric Taylor

Comment

Racers:

Find another F2G Corsair wreck (yeah right) and have Bob Odegaard restore it with the markings of either the plane that Ben McKillen flew or the one that Tony Janazzo flew at Cleveland. Failing finding a wreck (very likely) have Bob build a replica F2G from a F4U project.

Griffon Mustang with the contra props like Precious or Ashley. Lear wing and horizontal looked cool too.

T-20 Sea Fury with a R-4360 and a slicked up airframe and small double canopy. Call this plane ????? nought.

Someone else suggested a P-82 Twin Mustang - great idea !!!! How about a fully race-prepped clipped-wing Douglas A-26 with TWO R-4360s and skyraider props......

Buy Mr. Awesome (see Yak-11 thread on this board) rebuild it with R-3350 TC and race it !!!

Stock warbirds:

Hawker Typhoon Mk 1B with bubble canopy four-blade prop and Napier Sabre engine (always wanted to hear one of those).

Spitfire Mk. 9 for my Dad

Spitfire Mk 24 with Griffon and five-blade prop.

Seafire F-47 with Griffon, contra props and tailhook.

P-51A with Allison

F8F-2 Bearcat

DeHavilland Beaver with round engine - Gotta have one of those -I am Canadian !!!!
                          Last edited by Unlimited Fan; 10-23-2011, 08:49 AM. Reason: Added material

Comment

With these unlimited funds, I'm going finish Shock Wave and with what I have left I will finish American Spirit and Maybe throw a few coins to Tsunami and Wildfire Maybe with those homebuilts we can create a lot interest in air racing!

For daily driver it will be a Sikorsky S56 (CH37B), just to keep the mechanics busy!

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                              With these unlimited funds, I'm going finish Shock Wave and with what I have left I will finish American Spirit and Maybe throw a few coins to Tsunami and Wildfire Maybe with those homebuilts we can create a lot interest in air racing!
                              What!!? No Machbuster?

Comment

I'm going for Sani-Hut & the Duct Tape plane. One with a Rolls Merlin & the other with a P&W 4360.
                                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X