Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

DeHavilland Hornet or a Rufe (Zero seaplane fighter)

DBD

Comment

I know the question was probably intended to be more "what type..." but if I could have ANY single warbird, I'd bring N25Y back to Texas.

Comment

I'd start out with a 450 Stearman with lots of smoke oil.

Unlimited funds would mean I would be able to track down the Iranian F-14's and pick those up and bargain basement prices In a few years I'd be bending the pylons in my Tomcat!!!!

A super cleaned up P-51 like Bobby Converse's "Huntress III" would be in order.

I cant forget that I'd need a beautiful Hangar/House on my own airstrip in Northern Idaho, With a J-3 and an L-19 sitting there on the apron ready to have some summer fun.

and finally a "Fat Face" skyraider as my machine that I'd haul all my buddies off to fly-ins and breakfast in.

Comment

All I want is a simple P-51 Mustang. It doesn't get any better

Comment

Wow so many great choices out there. I love 'em all. Just me maybe, but I couldn't start with anything else but a Mustang. I agree, it doesn't get any better! Cheers!
            Last edited by nuts-n-volts; 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Not one Tigercat on the list?? Simply the sexiest piston engine aircraft ever built.

Comment

My choice for a daily flyer with pretty much unlimited funds would be a f-111 Aardvark. Two seater with good cargo and supercruise. Makes those LA to NY flights short.

As for a racer, I'd love to do a hot rodded spitfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  Be ready Wayne, in your B-25, as I come by in my ground up build of a highly modified RACING MUSTANG with a Sparrow Merlin!
                  It's good to see us all feeling a bit better! This thread was a great idea!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well it's almost a warbird, and I'll wait to hear the flying reports,
                    but make mine the Bugatti 100p
                    Last edited by Apteryx; 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

My "Unlimited" would be in Sports... Thunder Mustang with clipped wings, small racing canopy, Falconer V-12 on "real" turbos......kinda "mini Strega"..........boil off ? maybe........removed dog house? Just dreams...

Comment

Does anyone remember the Fiat fighter that was at Reno many years ago, that needs to be back here in the states every September!

I agree with the Tigercat and the others since I last commented. I'm realizing the first purchase needs to be an airport! Maybe a decomissioned airforce base... wonder what Stead would cost?

The A-26 was one I realized last night as I was falling asleep was one I forgot, in fact to be honest, if I ended up "slightly rich" that would actually be my first choice.

How about a Westland Whirlwind? I am a fan of those and I'm not sure there are any remaining? Also an HE-100 in speed record form seems to be something we should all want to see!

We sort of already have an MB-5 although I might want to see one done more accurately, we also need someone to bring back a CA-15! If I was still involved in R/C warbird racing that would be my next model.

Another aircraft that would incredible to see would be an XP-72! Wonder how fast you could make one of those go around the course?

Here is a question, am I the only one that wonders what someone could have done with a P-47 as the base for an unlimited racer?

Oh, some folks have noticed you need an off field smaller plane for some types of the fun you want to have with a plane, so I'd definitely see a Cessna Bird Dog and maybe Westland Lysander in my collected for those bush flying days, heck even a Super Cub would have to be part of the stable!

Anyways, thanks for the answers so far! Can't wait to see what other folks come up with!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

If it was for air racing, nothing beats a P-51. Just to have a warbird though, it would be a Bearcat...

Comment

Guess I'd start with the Jug, love those Thunderbolts. Nice D model mustang, a turbine Goose to water ski behind. 450 horse Stearman to play with, race # 74, F-86, Staggerwing, Howard, Carbon Cub, throw in a P-38, a good 185, opps got one of those. Buy the Johnson Creek strip from the State of Idaho, Bill Harrah's old lodge on the Thomas Creek strip in Idaho, and a hell'va good producing gold mine in Alaska to fund more warbirds. Now if it's a big lottery, ......
                            Ron

Comment

I think a Bt-13, Howard, PA-12 with flaps an O-320, F-86E/F, P-51D, L-19 Birddog, T-6, P-47, and an F-16 for those days when someone considers building within 50 miles of my North Idaho Strip+ Hangar/House. I little afterburner on the hood of thier car would fix that problem

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                                Here is a question, am I the only one that wonders what someone could have done with a P-47 as the base for an unlimited racer?

Spacegrrrl
                                Somewhere between the XP-47J and the XP-72 is your answer. Or get a Bearcat and call it a P-47R.

My picks of the minute:

Single:
                                XP-72 or Spiteful (Sabre powered Sea Fury gets honorable mention)

Twin:
                                XA-38 or Hornet (R-2800-77 powered XP-61E gets honorable mention)

Jet:
                                XB-70 or B-58 w/o pod

Racer:
                                RR Crecy turbo compound powered Tsunami with CR props AND Bugatti 100P
                                Last edited by W J Pearce; 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM.
                                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                                X