Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

In another thread I offered that if I could own any warbird I'd like to have a Hurricane. I realized this would be a fun thought exersise!

So you all just won the biggest ever lottery. What would you buy? Here is my list with some insight into the thinking.

For a "daily flyer" - Hawker Hurricane - I'd paint it like the "Last of Many" in the royal blue, gold and white scheme as it was raced in England in the 50's. (I personally think giving it a military scheme when it never was in the miltary and had a rich history in the civilian scheme was a crime). I picked it because I everything I've read about flying them makes them seem like a great plan to just enjoy and it would stand out at the fly-ins.

If I decided to "race" something I would build a serious program around the F-190 airframe and a race prepped R-2800. (that assumes I wouldn't do something radical like starting with an Iskra airframe and bulding something like Shockwave around an R-2800, which I think is the engine of the future for unlimited!)

If I had a LOT of money I'd also have a replica of the "Beguine" and the P-40Q.

If after that I still had some cash the Red Baron would be the next replica project. After that try and get a replica one of the P-39 racers and maybe a P-63 back in the air in racing colors.

Finally, given unlimited resources I'd try and find if the wreck of the F-15a Reporter I saw in a hangar in Santa Monica was still around and build a new one from those parts to get an F-15a back in the air.

I could think of a ton of other things I'd try and get "back in the air" (likely as replicas) like the Bellanca Tri-motor long distance racer of the 30's but that should be enough to get the conversation started!

So what would be in your giant hangars?

Spacegrrrl

Re: A fun thought exercise - if you could have any Warbird?

An HU-16 Albatross for airborne RVing, lake to lake. Turbine mod it for reliability.

A Bearcat, of course. Maybe get two to race prep one...clone it out same as Rare Bear. Buy that 3 blade prop. Hire John Penney

If it's unlimited funds...build a new Mosquito. I don't think too many (if any) are airworthy anymore.

Aquire a B-36 and get it running/flying again. (it really is UNLIMITED FUNDS!!)

Jet wise: A B737 for "everyday" use, a T-38 for hotrodding, a U-2 for birdseye's viewing.

Don Hatten
    Go Bear!

Comment

First things first...

I would buy the Buzzard Areomotive hanger along with the Electra from the Thies's in Reno/Stead and keep it there. As many times as I have seen that Electra inside and out, it still amazes me the condition it's in for being 100% original. And it has to be the lowest flying time AC in the world for it's age.

Then I would REALLY have to look at getting a stagger wing. One of my all time faves.

Might want to invest in flying lessons and getting certs for my AC's .. and I would be pretty happy with that.

Hehe you did say warbird didnt you.. In that case I would buy the RedBull P-38, and bring her back home were she belongs! Dunno if I would repaint her though.. she looks really sexy in that polished aluminum dress she wears now. Though I would have to remove the Redbull markings and have some tribute to lefty and son painted on it for the nose art.

Wolfee
      Last edited by wolfee; 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... First purchase, probably a T-34 just cuz. Oh, and then a PBY-4. That would be a good start.
        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

From the beginning of the post it seemed that this was a one shot deal, so therefore, an XP-72.
          John Slack

Comment

Got to love those SU-27's for sale these days.

Comment

I couldn't agree more! Remove the Red Bull stuff, put the red lightning logos back on the engines and leave it polished aluminium!

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
              First things first...

I would buy the Buzzard Areomotive hanger along with the Electra from the Thies's in Reno/Stead and keep it there. As many times as I have seen that Electra inside and out, it still amazes me the condition it's in for being 100% original. And it has to be the lowest flying time AC in the world for it's age.

Then I would REALLY have to look at getting a stagger wing. One of my all time faves.

Might want to invest in flying lessons and getting certs for my AC's .. and I would be pretty happy with that.

Hehe you did say warbird didnt you.. In that case I would buy the RedBull P-38, and bring her back home were she belongs! Dunno if I would repaint her though.. she looks really sexy in that polished aluminum dress she wears now. Though I would have to remove the Redbull markings and have some tribute to lefty and son painted on it for the nose art.

Wolfee
              10-32 - John
              Reno, NV Fan since 1978
              Long Live the Reno Championship Air Races!

Comment

Hmmmmmmm....................unlimited resources.

Daily flyer would have to be a TF-51,so my friends could fly it too.

Build some sort of racing platform around a Nixon race prepped Griffon.
                Skip would have to be at the controls for sure.

I'd also have some sort of corperate plane and make it available to Angels Flight,and Doctors without Borders.Anyone needing medical care that needed to be somewhere they otherwise couldn't get.

B2

Comment

Dornier DO-335
                  P-61 Black Widow
                  A or T-37 (re-engined)
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Daily flyer would be a Storch. Nice and slow and I can get up and fly from the field behind the house.

Airshow and long haul for vacations would be the good ol’ C-47 in WWII attire with a Willy’s in the back. Gotta go out to dinner in style.

Pipe dream for a racer would be a ground up build using a Henschel Hs-129 with Wright R-2600’s.

Performance warbird for me is a toss up between a FW-190D9 and the Hawker Typhoon Mk Ib. Loved both since I was a kid.

One to reproduce from the ground up to the last rivet in detail….Ta-152 H-1.
                    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Have to agree with the Red Bull -38. I was in Munich over the summer and I made a special stop in Austria to see what used to be White Lightnin'. It is beautiful in person, truly a sight to behold.

Dido on the Do-335, assuming that you could wrestle the last one (I believe) from the Smithsonian. Not sure that any amount of money would help there! Oh well, scratch build it then.

But the airplane that I'd have and fly as often as possible would be a Spitfire. I recently went to an EAA meeting in southern California and a gentleman shared his experiences from WWII. He joined up, learned to fly P-51's and then was sent to England. He was told he would get to fly mustangs there (as the British were supposed to start getting them) but he was very upset when this wasnt the case. He said that he was "stuck" flying Spitfires for four months while he waited for the -51's, but he said that it wad the greatest four months of flying in his entire life. He said that any fighter pilot that wasnt fortunate enough to fly the spitfire he truly felt bad for, it was the best handleing, best flying plane. Well he convinced me, of course those sexy elliptical wings don't hurt either .
                      Last edited by Ebehne; 10-12-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post
                        Have to agree with the Red Bull -38. I was in Munich over the summer and I made a special stop in Austria to see what used to be White Lightnin'. It is beautiful in person, truly a sight to behold.
                        I didn't know she'd ended up in Austria...
                        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Only DAGO will feed my desires!!

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                            I didn't know she'd ended up in Austria...
                            Yep, it's now the Red Bull p-38. When it's not flying at airshows it's on display at the Red Bull "Hanger 7" in Salzburg, Austria. They also have the most BEAUTIFUL fully polished B-25, a corsair, and several alpha jets just to name a few. It's free to get in and I highly recommend it if any of you make it to Austria or Southern Germany!

Comment

- Sea Fury (might as well make it Sept. Fury)
                              - Tempest mk V (with the Sabre powerplant!)
                              - Lockheed XF-90 (Buck Rogers all the way!)

Kevin
                              Last edited by FuryFan; 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X