Racing Wildcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Wildcats

Looking over the Unlimited entry list I noticed that Thomas Camp had entered a FM-2 Wildcat this year. According to the RARA database it shows that there has only been two other Wildcats entered which were Gerald Martin's in 1977 and Howard Pardue's in 1982. With race speeds in the mid-200's and Howard Pardue qualifying his at 325.044 (5 mph slower than last years slowest qualifier), plus the number of entrants this year, what are the odds that this years entry won't make the field? It would be an interesting sight to see a Wildcat flying next to the Tigercat though, even if it's only as they come down the chute.

Posted Image of Howard Pardue's Wildcat prior to the start of the Bronze finals in 1982.

Rick
    Attached Files

I am hoping someone brings a Hellcat up for the show. Then some talking amongst pilots and owners and.... tada ... Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat and Tigercat all form up for a few flybys. Any one else want to see this?

Bill Pearce
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Throw in a Tomcat and call it a Grumman Heritage Flight.

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
        Throw in a Tomcat and call it a Grumman Heritage Flight.
        Wow... would that be cool!!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

While we're at it, can we have a Panther, Cougar and a Tiger? I think that would round out the cats.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
            While we're at it, can we have a Panther, Cougar and a Tiger? I think that would round out the cats.
            Be still my heart!

Is there still a flyable "Panther" anywhere??

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Flyable Panther

Comment

Re: Flyable Panther

Originally posted by Unregistered
                http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com...her/Page1.html
                Do you know if they are still flying it?

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

GRUMMAN FLYBY

I'd have to look at my tapes, but was'nt there an after hours flight a few years ago?, which included the Air Museums F6F, an F8F, a F-14 and a F7F if I remember.
                  They flew around on Friday or Saturday evening just before dusk.

Would be great to see them as part of the show.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Yes there was. They went out over the mountains. I think a B-25 was along as a photo platform. They did not make any passes except for the landing break. It kinda bummed me because I was eagerly sitting and waiting with my camera. But no joy. I hope to have the opprtunity again. Maybe this year.

Bill Pearce
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                      Yes there was. They went out over the mountains. I think a B-25 was along as a photo platform. They did not make any passes except for the landing break. It kinda bummed me because I was eagerly sitting and waiting with my camera. But no joy. I hope to have the opprtunity again. Maybe this year.

Bill Pearce
                      Bill... There's sort of a long story about this flight, unsure what the "real" story is on it but a NUMBER of media types were gathered out at the end of the north hangars on the west end... a certain, print, editor was in charge of the flight and as those who were listening on the radio have told me, he broke the flight prior to anyone on the ground being able to get a shot...

The reaction of the group at the hangars when said editor came taxiing in, in the back of the airplane flown by Alan Preston was.. well, shall we say that the shot that former contributor to aafo.com, Mark Daniels took, that was subsequently run in Pacific Flyer, was dubbed..... "The Wall Of Fingers"...

If Mark reads this, he may feel totally free to upload same.. I have a copy but do not feel "legal" using anything of his further than what we have already published....

I was there.. it was funny... very funny!... Although, I'm not sure Alan Preston was totaly sure why all those idiots with cameras were giving *him* the single digit salute... he, apparantly did not realize that the "gesture" was not aimed at him........

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Cat Flight

No Ag-Cat in the "Cat" flight???? bummer......hehehehehe

I see Warlock behind Howards Wildcat.......kinda!

All the best, Randy
                        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I figured it was something like that. I think I have one shot when they were getting close and started to break. Maybe this year we'll have another shot at it and it will be for us all to enjoy. And I 'd love to see the "Wall of Fingers". (are you out there Bear?)

BP
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Wildcat pylon polishing

As I recall that Wildcat in 1977 made some of the tightest (albiet among the slowest) pylon turns I'd ever seen in Unlimited Class racing. Pylon photographers be ready!

Comment

I think it was Gerald Martin who was flying the lead Hispano 109 in the Battle of France sequence in the movie Battle of Britain. This is where he just barely is visible until he breaks the fence line , just barely missing it!

I miss those old guys.
                              Chris...

Comment

Working...
                              X