This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Whiteside and Steadfast Speed Record Info Here

Thank you guys for all of the nice comments on our efforts. Its really precise flying and its really fun to have an airport all to yourself to race on!
    Team SteadFast is a great bunch of guys and we proved that this week. These guys are dedicated and they are out for blood.

Stay SteadFast
    Will Whiteside
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice to see CJ!!!!

Comment

Will Whiteside.... How do we thank this "young" (sorry Will) man for what he has done for the grand sport of National Championship Air Racing by undertaking and conquering this speed record!

Let this be the first of several speed record challenges we might see over the next months!

Be sure to visit the Team Steadfast website... visit his SPONSOR page and if you happen across one of them.. make sure you give them a big thank you from the fans of the sport who do their best to help them support race pilot's and teams like Team Steadfast!

Thank You Will!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: World Speed Record Broken - Streadfast Will Whiteside

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
          Will Whiteside, His Crew, and Steadfast have set a currently UNOFFICIAL Speed Record in Class 1C1D at 407mph...They are getting ready for another attempt to increase the record as this is written...Photos below.

Wendover, Ut On Monday October 10, the world turned it's attention to perhaps the most historic ground on earth for speed records, the Bonneville salt flats. At 407 MPH, Will Whiteside and his Reno Air racer "SteadFast" unofficially shattered the previously held three Kilometer speed record by 102 MPH. Originally set in 2002 by the Howard Hughes designed H1 replica Racer, and previously established by Howard Hughes himself in the original H1 in 1935.

40 year old Veteran Reno air racer Will Whiteside claimed the second fastest qualifying time at the 2011 Reno National Championship Air Races in the P-51 VooDoo and was a contender for the overall win. "SteadFast", Will's WWII era Russian fighter/racer appropriately named for it's yearly prowess on the racecourse at Reno Stead airport is in its sixth year of speed refinements. This powerful piston powered, propeller aircraft was chosen to break the three Kilometer closed course for the under 6600 lb. world aviation record because of its significant power to weight design characteristics.

TUESDAY October 11 , 2011... SPEED NOW IS THE NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD OF 416mph!!!!
          Congratulations to the whole team!
          Great Job Will and Team Steadfeast!
          Santa Rosa know has a whole bunch of new record holders.

Bill

Comment

Let this be the first of several speed record challenges we might see over the next months!
            Seems you might know of a couple more record attempts to be made some time soon Wayne.. Care to elaborate on some details for us not in the know?

If it's info to be kept quiet, then I understand, But info like that I wouldnt think would be hush hush material.

Wolfee

Comment

Originally posted by RBriscoe View Post
              No! The original killed enough people.

Jimmy Doolittle is one of the few men to have flown it and lived to tell the tale.
              That is no where near the original GeeBee design. It could be done safely, and I really hope someone builds that in full scale some day. That is also not an American design. It was originally penned by Mirco Pecorrary (sp) who designed the paint scheme for Relentless and others. Unfortunately the design has been stolen by several RC aircraft companies.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                Seems you might know of a couple more record attempts to be made some time soon Wayne.. Care to elaborate on some details for us not in the know?

If it's info to be kept quiet, then I understand, But info like that I wouldnt think would be hush hush material.
                To be honest, I know of nothing... Will didn't even tell me about his attempt and I learned about it here!

I'm just guessing there is some unspent money and energy within the Unlimited ranks... and there were always plans for the Bear to make some attempts...

Believe me, I'd love to be "in the know" on this, because I'd love to attempt to be there to record them for the history of the sport..
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Congrats to Will and his team! Curious about other aircraft speed records, I went to the FAI website and it says the Class C, aeroplanes, records are currently unavailable on-line..."contact the FAI. " What's up with that?
                  Is this all some big secret or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                    Congrats to Will and his team! Curious about other aircraft speed records, I went to the FAI website and it says the Class C, aeroplanes, records are currently unavailable on-line..."contact the FAI. " What's up with that?
                    Is this all some big secret or what?
                    I can't imagine it is a secret. I read about it on the AvWeb email today.

Great job guys. I need to get a new SteadFast sticker, as it is time to upgrade laptops.

Comment

I dont mean Will's record...that's no secret...I meant looking up all records of aeroplane speeds.

Comment

Who is the official keeper of aircraft records? FIA? I'm new to aircraft records.

Comment

Guys, thanks for the support. It was my honor to set the record and practice for higher speeds. Its tricky flying, demanding flying and really fun to race the clock.
                          I prefer the Reno racecourse but its still a race! My crew is superb and really made the event a smooth one.
                          Thank you for all of your kind words, we do this for lots of reasons and the fans are a big part of that.
                          Thanks again
                          Will Whiteside

Friends/Crew:
                          Larry Childs Crew Chief
                          Johnny Maloney pilot
                          Mike Stephens
                          Chris Seppeler
                          Bryan Lee
                          Bill Whitlatch
                          Don Mcmullin Sponsor and
                          CJ Stephens Technical Advisor
                          Mark Kandianis Sponsor of event.
                          Last edited by Whiteside; 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Congrats to Will and the whole team! Wearing my 5 year old Steadfast T-shirt right now as I sit in Turlock CA at a family gathering. When I get back to Santa Rosa I sure would like to represent with a new shirt as I'm about to be wearing a holy rag(pun intended). Any chance of a new run to support the team?

Comment

It's great to see another fast Yak coming of age so to speak.
                              This is just the way Bob Yancy did it in Czech Mate when it was still Perestroika. Started out about 380-390 or so in 1987 or 88 and got a bit faster each year till it began passing planes in the Gold race.
                              Congratulations Will and crew!

Comment

Thanks Will, you have really inspired me!! time to get flying!!

Comment

Working...
                                X