Vid That Really Shows Pull Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vid That Really Shows Pull Up

Maybe this was already posted, if so I apologize, but I had not seen this angle before aside from when it happened...This person was very close to where we were and this is what we saw from the VOS...I think the violence of the pitch up is obvious in this vid...Can be viewed at 1080p

Another view - from far away - of the " Galloping Ghost " crash. Our condolences to the families of all who were lost and best wishes to those who were injured.

Re: Vid That Really Shows Pull Up

Just makes my head hurt...
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
      Just makes my head hurt...
      Me too

Comment

You might want to take a look at the video linked in this thread.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
        Last edited by RBriscoe; 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by RBriscoe View Post
          You might want to take a look at the video linked in this thread.

http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=9356
          Thanks, I had seen Jason's video...I just thought from this videos angle that, though distant, it showed the tightness of the path of flight in a more dramatic way because you can see it's position relative to the stands and pits...I saw it with my own eyes and kinda felt like maybe I had imagined it happened so quickly and in such a compact box of airspace until looking at this video.

Sorry if I am harping on it, but even from this distance it was very shocking and surreal and seeing this video confirmed to me what had been replaying in my head for so long...I also figured maybe the few people out there I have heard say the pitch up did not seem that severe to them may see this and realize just how violent it really was.

Comment

There are 10 seconds of really great footage in this video from the 2:00 mark to 2:10 showing Jimmy passing the Bear. Best footage of the pass I have seen.

Also I am amazed at how empty most of the reserved seat grandstands are.

Comment

Very interesting....this vid does show just how severe a 10 g pullup is. It also shows the accident was much closer to Section 3 than I thought.
              I was also amazed and just how empty the expensive seats were...
              Chris starting to sleep at night without drugs....

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                I also figured maybe the few people out there I have heard say the pitch up did not seem that severe to them may see this and realize just how violent it really was.
                I think the most gut wrenching thing is to look at Jason's video and this one and compare the two. The vid at the top of this thread shows the *vertical* motion, but that MISSES the most severe pitch-up relative to the airplane itself. The most violent instant of pitch appears to happen while banked almost 90 degrees left, so the distant video never shows that- Jason's video does, and it looks to me like you can see the wings flex under the loading. The vertical pullup shown so well by this video is abrupt... but its got nothing on the initial snap which was directed horizontally (relative to the earth) due to the 90 degree bank. The tail-wheel was already out before the Ghost ever started gaining significant altitude as shown by Jason's video.
                Last edited by 440_Magnum; 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glider90 View Post
                  There are 10 seconds of really great footage in this video from the 2:00 mark to 2:10 showing Jimmy passing the Bear. Best footage of the pass I have seen.

Also I am amazed at how empty most of the reserved seat grandstands are.
                  Was kind of strange how empty the reserved seats were. I bet Jimmy had a big smile on his face passing the Bear.

Comment

The Pass
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dang, just started shaking watching that. Still too close.

Comment

The reserved seating to me has dwindled down the last couple of years. Been at the air races for 10+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                          Very interesting....this vid does show just how severe a 10 g pullup is. It also shows the accident was much closer to Section 3 than I thought.
                          I was also amazed and just how empty the expensive seats were...
                          Chris starting to sleep at night without drugs....
                          It was pointed straight at us for a moment.

Comment

The tragic event was further away from the Chairmans Club than I thought and also a very steep climb and roll, a terrible day for sure. Thanks, KC
                            Last edited by KAHNZILLA; 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Looking at the vid again makes me wonder what Stewart Dawson in the Bear saw. Looks like he was not far behind the Ghost.

Comment

Working...
                              X