A Master at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Master at work

Birgitta truly does not care about the airplanes. She's at Reno because I'm there, and because by this time she has many friends to see every year. It was no surprise at all to me when reviewing her Pylon 5 memory card to find that she had taken time out during the jet race to shoot some shots of one of her friends.

I still remember when I first saw some of Victor Archer's work on AAFO some years ago. I was flabbergasted! I thought I was pretty good, but this stuff was amazing! Victor truly raised the bar for all of us trying to do this stuff. He forced me to get better, and I'm thankful for that...

Neal

Re: A Master at work

Ya know when I saw the title of the thread I thought I'm gonna post something like "hey, I don't see a picture of me here".
    There are people I look forward to seeing each year and the two of you are on the top of my list! You both challenge me in the way I try to capture what we all love, imaging that split second in time.
    Birgitta and I had had the most interesting conversation on using your visual skills and how you interpret what you see and why.
    Hope you are both well and don't be too surprised if one day you see me in Death Valley.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

How are these experts keeping something moving that fast in frame at all?

Do they use both eyes with one acquiring on it's own, a viewfinder that is not through the lens, or are they actually viewfinding through the lens?

Comment

A few I know do shoot with both eyes open -- I do not. I find that if I am looking at something, and then bring the camera to my eye, then there the subject is in the finder. I find the same true of binoculars -- I look at a distant object with naked eye, then bring up the binocs and there it is. I have no idea if this is true for everybody.

An interesting question, actually -- I've been doing this for so long that I don't even think much about how I do it. I too would be interested in other shooters' perspectives and insights...

Victor -- check your PMs.

Neal

Comment

I shoot with my left eye like I do a shotgun as I'm left eye dominant.
          When I first got my camera and lens I found it was harder to find the airplanes in the viewfinder than I thought it would be. Good thing is it didn't take too long to get decent at finding the airplanes and it's not really a problem now.
          Now if only I could hold it half as steady as Victor.

Jarrod
          Last edited by jarrodeu; 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X