Final Flight of the Ghost *video*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Flight of the Ghost *video*

Wayne asked for me to say a few words on the video just released. This is an incredible release and certainly shows what Jimmy was dealing with. I can tell you from my experience with Stiletto that being in that same spot with a pitching stallion Jimmy had his hands full. The video clearly shows the upset from the dirty air he flew through to the sudden dig and overloading of the aircraft great enough to pop the tailwheel out. In addition you will notice that the elevator flutter did not occur until almost half way through the pull indicating that the flutter did in fact not cause the pitch up. Its pretty evident with the violence of the pull up that Jimmy was put to sleep almost immediately as his head never reappears. He made a great recovery on the roll portion only to be hit with a sudden and uncontrollable pitch up. King Kong could not have save this plane. Jimmy was as seasoned as they get and certainly was qualified to race this plane contrary to what some have said in the media. It was just being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a super clipped little aileron airplane. Its a real shame to loose a gentleman like Jimmy and have this tragedy affect so many people on the ground.

Comment

Thanks Matt for the expert opinion.....

Comment

Matt thanks for confirming what littel my pea-brain knows about avaition. I saw the same thing...& your interview on local AM radio was informative too. Thanks again.

GregS

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
          Wayne asked for me to say a few words on the video just released. This is an incredible release and certainly shows what Jimmy was dealing with. I can tell you from my experience with Stiletto that being in that same spot with a pitching stallion Jimmy had his hands full. The video clearly shows the upset from the dirty air he flew through to the sudden dig and overloading of the aircraft great enough to pop the tailwheel out. In addition you will notice that the elevator flutter did not occur until almost half way through the pull indicating that the flutter did in fact not cause the pitch up. Its pretty evident with the violence of the pull up that Jimmy was put to sleep almost immediately as his head never reappears. He made a great recovery on the roll portion only to be hit with a sudden and uncontrollable pitch up. King Kong could not have save this plane. Jimmy was as seasoned as they get and certainly was qualified to race this plane contrary to what some have said in the media. It was just being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a super clipped little aileron airplane. Its a real shame to loose a gentleman like Jimmy and have this tragedy affect so many people on the ground.
          Matt, I listened to your interview with Bill Manders yesterday on KOH, it was very informative and answered alot of questions, thank you for what you do it is nice to hear from some one in the know and not from a reporter that has no idea what they are talking about.

Comment

Same here Matt, thank you for a great explantion. And thanks also to you Jason for your brilliant tribute. Thanks to both of you.

Comment

Re: Final Flight of the Ghost *video* Update!!

Originally posted by Jason S. View Post
              Here you go.
              This is a video of Jimmy Leeward's final race. This video shows no impact with the ground just the events leading up to the accident, segments of this footage…

Jason
              Great video Jason! Thank you for doing this I am in tears again but it is part of the healing process.

Comment

That came out of Matt Jackson??
                Man I was excited to see Furias look so fast. I think you made some rounds on Thursday? Flying low and fast Furias looked so bad to the bone.
                Corncobs are cool. As a spectator, that was a highlight for Hank. I heard Furias had to ride the truck home. I wish I had 40 years experience in Pratt and Whitney's.

Comment

Thanks Matt and Jason.

As I studied the video it really seems like the high G "pitch up" starts right at the "over bank". There was the roll to the left with a clear massive "pull back/pitch" component. I think maybe Matt said "dig in" which really describes it. You see GG have a pitch input while rolled vertical to the left. We see GG start to roll level then head up but the tail wheel is already coming out before GG has rolled back to level and clearly GG is in the process of a massive high G pull up.

Flutter itself was clearly as Matt said a secondary event to the primary pull up. From everything I've ever read flutter usually doesn't result in a deviation in flight path until some component failure results. So it would make sense the flutter has nothing to do with the pull up.

It will be interesting to see if the NTSB ends up concluding what the root cause of that high positive G "pull up/back" associated with the left roll and momentary hard bank left turn the video so clearly shows. Sure still seem to me that the tab failed in that vertical left bank, disabling Jimmy and resulting what we all now know as the final outcome.

Can't be in Reno Sunday for any memorial service but I am going to spend Sunday in my own way memorializing Jimmy and all the other aviators of any kind that have touched my life and made me a better person for having shared the dream that lives in all of us, of flying.

Again, hugs to all of you in the community of aviators, pilots and enthusiasts alike. You all make this a very much richer world.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Thanks everyone, I wasn’t sure how this would be taken and I’m glad it was accepted well. When I was editing all the footage together I could almost picture Jimmy standing behind me and saying with a smile on his face “did you see how I blew by the Bear”. Thank you Matt for commenting as well, the wake turbulence issue was what I was thinking while watching him through the camera; it was windy which was nice for carrying the turbulence off the course but unfortunately the wind was right down the runway and they just lingered from pylon 8 to 1. While watching the cockpit footage from Voodoo Will got knocked around just as he was going around 1, about the same time Jimmy was going out of control at 8.
                    I ended up re-editing the video so I could upload it to YouTube; the music at the end was what threw up the copyright flag. I ended up using some of my stepdads music which I think turned out well.

Jason
                    P.S. I added the YouTube link to the first page.
                    P.S.S. I’ll look into how much it will cost to send out single disk through the mail and I’ll let everyone know ASAP.
                    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Thank you for the excellent and tasteful way you covered a sensitive subject. I am glad that I did not have to endure another view of the inevitable conclusion. A fitting tribute to the final ride of The Ghost.

Comment

Hi Jason,

I am also interested in purchasing a copy of your video.

I am on dial-up out here in the Alaska bush and it takes forever to download a video.

Let us know when and how much to send.

Don Hatten
                        Go Bear
                        Last edited by hattend; 09-24-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                          Matt, are you judging the time of the flutter by the sound, or by something you see. If so, I believe that due to the distance involved, the sound is delayed. For an example of that, watch Jason's video of Kevin's prop explosion from last year. In that video, the visual of the prop coming off is well under well before you hear the audio of the over speed start. Also, if the trim tab actuator failed, couldn't that have caused the initial pitch movement with the flutter and subsequent departure of the tab coming after it started going up?

Comment

Excellent work, Jason....and a great tribute....tear falls.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S. View Post
                              Thanks everyone, I wasn’t sure how this would be taken and I’m glad it was accepted well. When I was editing all the footage together I could almost picture Jimmy standing behind me and saying with a smile on his face “did you see how I blew by the Bear”. Thank you Matt for commenting as well, the wake turbulence issue was what I was thinking while watching him through the camera; it was windy which was nice for carrying the turbulence off the course but unfortunately the wind was right down the runway and they just lingered from pylon 8 to 1. While watching the cockpit footage from Voodoo Will got knocked around just as he was going around 1, about the same time Jimmy was going out of control at 8.
                              I ended up re-editing the video so I could upload it to YouTube; the music at the end was what threw up the copyright flag. I ended up using some of my stepdads music which I think turned out well.

Jason
                              P.S. I added the YouTube link to the first page.
                              P.S.S. I’ll look into how much it will cost to send out single disk through the mail and I’ll let everyone know ASAP.
                              I think Jimmy was with you! Just thinking about him blasting past the Bear, wow, I really believe as fast as Strega and Voodoo were this year Jimmy had a surprise in store and we would have seen the 500+ he kept hinting about.

By the way, shout out to the Voodoo team, you guys looked so strong! I think next year you are going to finally get the glory you've worked so hard for!

Jason, you worked a miracle and found the "right way" share something in as positive way as possible, you gave us answers and reminded us why we were there in the first place (and why we will be back!! )

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Excellent work, thank you for sharing it with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X