Therapy? Where were you, what did you feel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Therapy? Where were you, what did you feel

We had so many calls and emails starting 20 minutes after crash. That continue on still. I wrote a letter for all our friends. Most have no sport avation desire or understanding. Yet they all know we do! Sorry I'm always long winded, more so when upset!

What we saw
    Sunday 18 September 2011
    You don’t know how much it meant to hear from you. We appreciate it so much. I was amazed to find out how many people really cared! (though we already knew that about some of you!) Once we gathered up some of our dear friends on Friday and were headed back into town, I started down my cell list in calling as many of those I could - knowing, they knew we would be at the Air Races. Although still shaking we did not want anyone out there to worry and we knew this was going to hit the news media big time. If I forgot you, please know it was not on purpose! We’re on the road south today - the plan to camp out in the quiet. This day we should be in the stands at Reno anticipating the next great race. We hurt inside - hallow aching pit - last 2 nights reliving in 3D what I wish to never have seen. John says instead of constantly repeating myself write it all out.

Just to cover events completely for everyone, once and for all. Yes we were there. Yes it was bad, very bad. But it could have been so much worse! In our view whether the grace of God, Leeward’s last efforts, or just the shift of a wing. We live to see another day.

Leeward’s modified Mustang had structural failure - we saw photos on net first night from professional photographers we knew were out in the field. This of course yet to be proven or stated by the NTSB

He lost controllability on pylon 9 and it bucked rolled and spin it’s way straight at us in the reserve seats - yes we looked death in the face, in a very sudden up close and personal way - there was no time to react - no time or place to run - I just thought ‘oh well this is it’ - then at the last 100th of a second it rolls and dives back at the field. 100 yards in front of us she came straight in. She didn’t make it clear of the VIP Box seats. For the first time since they built the new stands I’m sorry to have the perfect view we have in section E! The unbelievable shock of the plane dissapearing into the ground, the debris flying as if a bomb had gone off.

After the impact / blast, our group in stands, in shock did head count, hugged and then quickly started thinking about everyone else we personally needed to account for.
    In the mean time the announcers preformed as the professionals that they were. Asking the unhurt to clear the field then asking first for all with professional medic ability to come onto the field immediately! Next for everyone else to please leave their seats in calm orderly manner.
    So many people rushed straight to the site, ripping clothing from their bodies to prepare tunicates’ and field bandages for those who survived. Disregarding the smell of 130 octane fuel and the possibility that there could still be fire! EMT’s and those always in state preparedness from start of every race - Civilians there for a day at the races - Military there to support and perform. Immediate use of Vietnam ere Huey there on static display. (www.25thhuey.com) In the air in only moments to carry 6 or 8 at a time on it’s veteran stretchers to the hospital with all haste. This backed up 2 person limited medic choppers.

In mean time we realize we have friends in box seats just feet from the box that was hit point blank, Calling frantically on phone I cannot reach him / them. Then in panic hunting the carnage with binoculars saying he cannot be in that! He will be ok. Our friend finally answers . . .they’re ok They all have only minor injuries but ok, Tell him to meet us at gate with those who wish and we will fit them and get them back to town! (They arrived by bus, but we have immediate front gate parking)
    There was no panic - no running - the screaming is now over, nearly everyone was in abject shock and horror of it all, everyone remained quite calm. There were people everywhere stopping to ask anyone appearing lost or in shock “can I help, do you need anything?”. As I’m briskly walking up to find our dear friend sitting on the curb - a woman asking him ‘do you need anything, can I help you?’ - He said ‘No my friend told me to wait here, I must wait right here.’

Our Reno Air Race crowd is made up of a special breed of folks! The best of the best, Most everyone's whole concern was to make sure all around them were ok, able and moving.

John and I have could never have imagined how many people would call / email “We know you attend call us / text us / anything to let us know you are ok.

Thank you everyone for your concern!!! It was horrific, it was traumatic and it is over. We have the best support system anyone can have in all our friends!!

And I want to still empathize - though our hearts still grieve for those lost. For 28 years with each ticket we bought - we knew the risks and the possibilities. If anyone looks very carefully at the Air Races 48 year record with up to 6 races per day, 5 days in a week. Though we have never lost spectators before this day, we have lost pilots, they have always known the risks.

I am terrified every time we get on the highway at rush hour, all the people, fools, that might end our lives doing something stupid! And a much higher chance of that happening! You buy your ticket you take your chances.

This time it looked that for us personally it was not meant to be. And had it been well . . . - such is life I would have no regrets, I knew the risks. And maybe this is easier to say being an un-injured survivor, but still after staring death in the face, if they will sell us our reserve seat tickets next year - we will be there.

There is no other sport like it in the whole world - these men and women are the best of the best - test pilots / stunt pilots / astronauts / airline pilots / veterans of the skies! We so hope the media will back off let it rest! Quit the sensationalizing! Maybe say this was horrific but look how many years the races have run, look at the hours of time they have in total! Look at the quality of those racing!

I’m sure some are saying already: ‘The sport is too dangerous, it must be ended’ In reply I would say: Maybe we should disallow all boating, driving, flying in general, river rafting, bicycling, mountain climbing - because there could be risk. How many have died because another boat hit them? How many have died because a car hit a bicycle, a pedestrian, another car? - Rafting tour and it tips? Climb Mt Everest, yes was your choice but maybe the guide should not be allowed to take you anymore because of the risk. Some of these do not happen often, but they have happened! If you choose to walk that sidewalk, ride that bike, you know no matter what, there is a risk no matter how small. We personally will continue to honor the brave and adventurous among us by embracing their forums such as they are willing to share with us!

Thank you again everyone for all your outpouring of love and support!
    Sincerely
    Linda & John
    What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
    Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

bajadreamers, you should put that up on Facebook if you have an account.

Or a letter to the editor at the Reno Gazette Journal.

Well said.

Don Hatten
      Go Bear!

Comment

Well, a week and a half in. Finally decided to reregister after reading all this, since I couldn't remember my log in. Every time I saw a video, it seemed strange. Everytime I see it in my mind. I see it in slow motion. The pitch up, roll, and all the way to the ground. It still doesn't seem real sometimes...

Comment

Acorn, I know how you feel. I'm a long time lurking member, and wanted to say thanks to you all for sharing. It helps to see that others who were there feel the same way I do. Standing on the back of our pickup in the Jet Pits watching everything is something I will not get out of my mind soon. I'm just thankful my kids were in the RV and didn't see it. That said, we'll be ready to race come September 2012 - I think that is going to be therapy for us too.

Also wanted to let folks on this board know of a group being run by the Bill Wilson Center and Kara Grief Counseling is going to meet in San Jose tomorrow evening for anyone affected. They are both great organizations - my best friend who was with me at the races works for one of them. If your interested in finding out more information, here's a link to their site below. (Hope I do this right). If you think you would find comfort in talking with others who were there and you are in the area, I suggest checking it out.

http://www.billwilsoncenter.org/news...-wed-sept-28th

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGirlKat View Post
            That said, we'll be ready to race come September 2012 - I think that is going to be therapy for us too.
            I agree. There are people I want to see, just to give them a hug and tell them how important they are to me. So many of the people I love have passed... but somehow I thought Jimmy would live forever.

Instead of avoiding the races because of who's no longer there, I need to go so that I'm not left like I was this year, wishing I had gone out one day sooner...
            sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
            http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I too felt like Jimmy would last forever...

Still numb here... flashes of what I'd describe as anger... also some anxiousness in the pit of my stomach. Mind you, I was on outer four... I only saw, quite briefly, Jimmy headed straight down, with the first thought, "someone's making a desperate grab for a runway" followed in the next instant by the reality of the situation.

I was emotional while we were being held at the pylon, very concerned when I heard fans had been hurt...

EXTREMELY shaken when we got into the press area, helped tend to DB (who had his wife and best friends only 40' away) for a bit. Then it hit me that I needed to close the MB for a while. Roger Cain helped me (I think it was Roger, sort of a blank) by letting me use his computer.. took me forever to get it done I was shaking badly...

Then, at some point, numb... nothing. No love, no joy... no pain.. nothing.

I ain't gonna get no counselling! How anyone can understand my brain would be completely beyond my understanding.. I'll work it out, in time..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                I ain't gonna get no counselling! How anyone can understand my brain would be completely beyond my understanding.. I'll work it out, in time..
                No one really understands except another air racer. <hugs>

Comment

I don't begin to understand the feelings of those close or far away from the scene of Friday, September 16. I've expressed my feelings elsewhere on this board and I'm not ashamed to say I cried, as did my wife, like a baby at what I was seeing that afternoon on the TV. We had guests arriving that afternoon that we had planned to take them to their first air race on Sunday. When they arrived, our front door was open and they came in to find me and my wife literally sobbing. They didn't know what to do and tried to console us as best they could. Once we calmed down, we explained to them as best we could what it was they had walked into. After many hours of talking and showing them every bit of photos, memorbilia and "stuff", they simply said they want to come back and try it again. Now, how's that for solidarity!!!

When we heard the memorial was being organized, we didn't hasitate for a second. All we knew was that we had to be there! I am so thankful to have met Sandra and Split-S. It gave me a closeness to AAFO that I hadn't expected and I'm grateful to have this board to express that feeling.

Others here have said that they had taken the NCAR for granted, and I freely admit that I fall into this catagory. But, with Jimmy's passing, I feel a sense of new awareness taking shape within the air race community in general, and AAFO in particular, that we will no longer be so complacent. Especially, now that there is the very real possibility we may lose our beloved NCAR forever. Don't get me wrong, I am keeping positive thoughts that doesn't happen.

I'm just regret that being a member of AAFO since 2004 that it took THIS to get me to come out of the hangar and start posting!

Ramjets

Comment

Sorry folks - I usually only read posts here - rarely sharing - ancient email address now updated.
                    What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
                    Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGirlKat View Post
                      Acorn, I know how you feel. I'm a long time lurking member, and wanted to say thanks to you all for sharing. It helps to see that others who were there feel the same way I do. Standing on the back of our pickup in the Jet Pits watching everything is something I will not get out of my mind soon. I'm just thankful my kids were in the RV and didn't see it. That said, we'll be ready to race come September 2012 - I think that is going to be therapy for us too.

Also wanted to let folks on this board know of a group being run by the Bill Wilson Center and Kara Grief Counseling is going to meet in San Jose tomorrow evening for anyone affected. They are both great organizations - my best friend who was with me at the races works for one of them. If your interested in finding out more information, here's a link to their site below. (Hope I do this right). If you think you would find comfort in talking with others who were there and you are in the area, I suggest checking it out.

http://www.billwilsoncenter.org/news...-wed-sept-28th
                      Kat~ Thanks for the info. I've forwarded it to some other folks I know who were there as well, told them to forward it on to anyone who might find it helpful.
                      Thanks again!
                      Acorn

Comment

I was there.
                        Sitting at home now, dealing with a broken leg and ankle troubles.
                        Expect to recover.
                        Was in Boxes C-99 and 100
                        My wife and sons were still here in the bay area. A lot of people jumped to help get a message to her, as she cannot hear and I wanted to get a message to her before people started asking if she had heard from me yet.

Saw things I do not wish to discuss. Caught some debris from the impact energy blast. Been dealing with a combination of relief that my friends and I survived and survivors guilt. Feeling of helplessness for the injured and families of injured and perished seems to be the most troubling.

Words escaping me........

Tim

Comment

Tim, prayers going up for a complete and speedy recovery. Hopefully, time will ease the rest. Please try not to feel guilty. We're so glad you're still with us.

Hugs,
                          Sandra

Comment

Had my first dream about this incident last night. Strange that in my dream I was watching it on video, but the sound was like I was right there again.

I've pretty much forced the images out of my head, they appear all greyed out and faded now, but the one thing I can still see clear as day is Jimmy's paracute sitting on the tarmac flapping in the wind.

Comment

Last night was the first time I dreamed about the accident. Crazy, I wasn't even there. And strangely, I feel guilty about that.

Today I can't seem to focus at all, and the tears keep creeping up on me....

Comment

After YEARS of "Lurking" on this board - reading the posts (usually right before the Air Races, to get all the latest scoop) This has finally prompted me to register and post. Maybe some good can come of this.....

I was there. RIGHT There. Our group, Cascade Warbirds, has had Boxes A-41 and B-40 at the Races for about 10 years. A-41 was Bill & Moya Lear's box until she died. On Friday, I was standing with many friends in the aisle between A-41 and B-40, thrilled at what a great race we were seeing. The Ghost hit right in that aisle, between A-41 and B-40 about 6 feet from me.

I don't have to go over what happened - that's been pretty well covered. I do remember looking up at the reflection in GG's polished spinner (a pretty surreal sight!), and thinking "You're kidding, right??" Then trying to figure out which way to jump. I felt the plane as it brushed past and impacted the ground. There was a huge pressure wave, and something hit me hard in the back. At least I managed to get the right part of my anatomy pointed at the event!

My Girlfriend who was right next to me got a broken foot. I got cuts and bruises, a few stitches and some shrapnel. We had just been talking to our good friends George & Wendy Hewitt, and making plans with them for the evening as the racers came down the chute. (We were going to go race Go-Karts) We've flown many places with them, and done many formation flights together. We turned to watch the race, and never saw George & Wendy again. GG came down right on top of them. Our Friend Larry who has the box just East of ours lost his right hand and had a bad head wound. When I got up off the ground and saw Larry, I thought he was dead. Another of his friends in his box was.

The great thing was the response afterward - both immediately and in the following days. I didn't see anyone lose their cool. Everybody just picked themselves up (if they could), started looking for what needed to be done, and DID it. Within 2 or 3 minutes, I'll bet we had 800 1st responders and helpers in the immediate area. One of our Cascade Warbird Members, Anne - who is an ER Nurse - also saw Larry, and decided "Not on MY Watch!!". She gathered up curtain material from the boxes, and started applying tourniquets and providing immediate care to Larry and several others. Larry not only survived, but we were in his ICU room 72 hours later, telling Fish Stories and jokes. We were checked on by at least one of the Race Pilots, who was playing Surgical Nurse to a former Vietnam Corpsman rendering aid. You may have heard of the Crew of the Vietnam era Huey that was on display in the Rolls Royce Heritage area - they pulled it out, fired it up, and were Medevacing people in it in minutes. I remember looking over and thinking "Where the *#&$% did the HUEY come from??" Now I know.

I was completely AWED by the response. They wanted to put my Girlfriend and I on a helicopter, I said "you will NOT - you use them for somebody who's HURT!" (Thinking of Larry, and some others in equally bad shape I'd seen) When we did get to the Hospital, I figured I'd be waiting for DAYS. in very little time, I had 3 people working on me, cleaning and stitching up wounds. I asked "Isn't there somebody really hurt that needs you more?", they said "No, we're here for YOU". The next day when George & Wendy's Family started arriving in Reno, our Hotel (Circus Circus) insisted on Comp-ing their rooms. We were met by Managers, asking if there was anything they could do to help. The FBO where I had parked my plane (Million Air @ RNO) retrieved it from it's remote parking spot, and put it right in front of their doors. They had 2 BIG Lineboys at our beck and call to help get my Girlfriend into it. It was 5 days later when things were finally arranged for George & Wendy, and we finally DID leave - and it and the plane and the lineboys were still there. (It's a Navion, so a fair bit of climbing was involved - with her broken foot). Then Million Air waived the parking fees, and arranged to return our rental car for us, even though we had Not rented it through them.

The entire community - at the Races, and in town, was 150% supportive. It was great to see people all pulling together to take care of one another, and to get done what needed to be done.

Even now, our Cascade Warbird members are continuing to check on one another, and offers of assistance are still coming in at 10 times the rate we could possibly use. It was terrible to lose our friends that way, but it happened. We can't change it. Feeling bad won't help. What we can do now is to go forward, and make some good out of it. We need to continue to look out for each other, and do some good. I think we need to insure that we save the Air Races. Larry and I already have a pact to be standing in the Same Spot Next Year, drinkin' Margaritas, Smokin' Cee-gars, and watching the Races.

I know that several of you are in the Pacific NW - Wayne, we've met once, and Space-Grrrl, I think you're up here, too? The Cascade Warbirds will be having our regular meeting Sat. Oct. 8th at the Museum of Flight (Boeing Field, downtown Seattle). Many of us who were there will be at the Meeting, and will continue to talk about this together. You guys and any others in the area are welcome to join us. The meeting starts at 10 AM.

Also - we will be having a Celebration of George & Wendy's lives at the Heritage Flight Museum at the Bellingham Airport on Sat., Oct. 22, starting at 2 PM. Cascade Warbirds will be performing a flyover and Missing Man (Wx permitting!), most likely with Navions that Flew with George regularly, and one that he used to fly. You are welcome to come join us there, as well.

Don't look back (TOO much), look forward, and let's see what we can do together.

Dave Desmon
                                XO, Cascade Warbirds

Comment

Working...
                                X