Therapy? Where were you, what did you feel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Therapy? Where were you, what did you feel

Keep talking...keep posting...post whenever you need to talk to someone who understands.. keep helping us all to start healing...
    Thank you all so much for sharing...
    ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Comment

We were in section I row 27 with a couple of friends that had never been to the races before. When GG snaped up off the course, I thought the flight path was odd for a mayday. I then realized he was inverted over the stands and knew he was in bad trouble. As the nose came down I thought it was going to end up behind the stands in the vendor area but the arc continued. For a moment I thought it might clear the stands and box seats. The next thing I remember was trying to decide if the debris cloud was going to make it to our area. We heard bits and pieces pelting the stands aound us but luckily we weren't hit. Just then we felt a mist drift across us which I believe was part fuel and part ADI and boil-off fluids. We stood there in shock and disbelief for several minutes and then decided it was safe to leave. On our way back to the RV, we heard the staff asking for anyone with medical training to assist. We also witnessed a reunion between what appeared to be friends that were in or very close to the impact area that found each other alive. We weren't able to head home until Sunday due to a lack of sleep. We were both replaying the last few seconds over and over in our minds all night. Our thoughts are now with the Leeward family, crew and the lost and injured fans. We've already decided to attend next year provided the races continue. Our prayers are with you all.
      Sky Critter

Comment

Brand New Here. Have been an aviation enthusiast for many years. This was the first year my husband and I got to vacation away from our son. It was also our first visit to the Reno Air Races. My husband recently started a new job so we had to cut our visit short two days since they wouldnt allow for the extra time off. We would have been there otherwise. Our seats were second row behind the VIP boxes. I am glad you all have this community and seem like a big family. It's helped me work through my own "survivors guilt" reading all of these posts, knowing I am not the only one freaked out about the whole thing. I may not have known Jimmy personally or any of the others that past, but I do know that the world of aviation enthusiasts is a small world and rather tight knit community, hence my hunt to find such a forum as this one. Thanks again for being an awesome group and sticking by the sport and each other through this crisis.

Comment

I wasn't there this year, but I was there in '99 and saw the Gary Levitz crash. When you witness something like that, that feeling doesn't go away. To this day I still feel it....

Comment

My wife Linda and I were just to the right of the announcers stand. Section E, Row 1, Seats 5 and 6. This was our third year in a row with these incredible seats. We were both excited to watch this race as we wanted to see Galloping Ghost strut her stuff. Well as we watched her turn that last pylon and pull up we figured at first he must have an issue and will call mayday. However, as he pulled up and rolled over I knew something was very wrong and it appeared to me he was going to be heading for the parking lot. Then when it started to come down all I could say was ‘Linda, look out’ and we both were frozen just staring at the spinner and prop coming right at us. When it was over we were hit with what I believe was small pieces of asphalt. We just were in shock at what just happened and hugged each other while crying at the sight only 40 feet or so in front of us. Once we were back at my van we just sat there for quite awhile as we were just to shaken up to drive back to the hotel.

The first responders onsite were so quick to respond and help the injured. The announcer was able to keep his composure and keep people calm. So I would like to thank everyone that came to the aid of the injured so quickly, You saved many lives this day.

We ended up checking out of the hotel Saturday morning and driving back to Phoenix. We keep talking to each other and reading this board for therapy.

This is my first post on AAFO, however I have been reading on this site for years to get my Reno Air Racing fix throughout the year of what is happening.

After all this we are hoping that Reno 2012 is not affected and are ready to buy our tickets in the same place as the last three years.
            Our prayers go out to the family and friends of all involved in this great tragedy.

Blue Skies and Godspeed, Jimmy.

David Borrow

Comment

I've been to the races 38 times. Dad brought me in 1972 for the first time. I lost my hobby shop 5 years ago, been rather poor since. Boss finally gave me a car (for redoing his website)
              and was packing to leave when I checked the web. My heart sank. Yes the races have a good safety record. Yes horrible accidents involving spectators have happened in motorsports before, Indy 1973 comes to mind, as does Monaco 1955. As to what happened I'll wait for the NTSB report. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable, I saw Miss Ashley 2 break up and yet didn't understand the sequence of events until I saw a video in slow motion. The press is regrettably the press, in time the furor will die out. I hope racing continues. Perhaps the teams themselves should look into the structural integrity of trim tabs. Beyond that what can I say, I'm hanging in there

Comment

As we ducked I remember pulling my hat dwn tighter to protect my head.
                Those that kmow me and see me year after year know it is a big, floppy. old-mans cloth hat that offers protection from nothing but the sun, and sometimes fails at that!
                Reflecting on the actual impact, there are so many things that happened right in respect to saving lives. It missed the stands, hitting in a relatively unpopulated area. The angle it hit at was a huge factor. The energy and a large portion of the debris was carried AWAY from the crowd, around 75d vertical and about 45d from perpendicular to the stands. Just about any other impact angle would have sent the forces (and the big debris) into the crowd.
                I can't help but think that if the failure happened a fraction of a second earlier it would have gone into the pits full of people and combustables. A fraction of a second later and it would have gone into ME (it is hard not to personalize things), on that crowded ramp space. Even another fraction and it could have ended up in the static area, again a very bad spot.
                Last but not least it happened on Friday, when the boxes are nowhere near as crowded as say, Sunday.
                Not trivializing the losses in ANY way, but it could have been much worse. I am not a religious person in any way, but fate, luck, or something was watching this too. I have had to try and find a positive in all this.
                For the Leewards and those who grieve the loss of loved ones, we grieve with you.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
                  Robert,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so very glad to know you are okay (physically) after being that close. I was further east of you and can't imaging what it was like that close. For what it is worth reading stories like yours helps me. Like I told my wife when she picked me up (she was the last car let into the area before they closed all traffic into the area) "I wish I could un-see, un-hear, and un-smell what I experience."

Thank you again for sharing your story!
                  Double up, thanks for your kind words. I wasn't in a quick hurry to come back to this thread, but the contacts in all directions, both receiving and giving emotional support have made a big difference.

The un-see, un-hear, etc., those words strike true to my heart.
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

One way I have been making my self feel better about Friday, is telling my self what I am thankful for from Friday, and the rest of that week for that matter.

Thanks Leo

wolfee

Comment

Hi All,

Like some others, I'm new to Hangar Talk, but have attended the races for years. My friends and I were up in the top of the GA stands on the very west end by the Reserved stands. Saw what everyone else has already posted.

Huge Mustang fan. Huge race fan since the beginning. I organize and run R/C Reno Racing back home for everyone's and my enjoyment. Aviation, full size and modeled, is all of my life.

It's already Thursday. I'm tryin' not to think about it. And yet it's absolutely the only thing I can think about.

We, my buddy and his fiancee, got back home Saturday night. It was good as I was able to get Southwest to change our flight with no fees. The Legacy was no problem. Saved us some dinero. But, after getting home and getting back into the everyday stuff, life feels so mundane... boring, unsatisfying. Whether at home or work or driving around, I feel like - "I have to concentrate. I'm back in the 'real' world again. Time to shake it off." But, there's no way. I find myself back here, because I want it solved or fixed or... made right. I'm really gonna miss Jimmy and the Ghost.

When I'm at the races its almost as if it's the place where I belong. It feels right. I go every year. My girlfriend knows. "Off to your second home", she says. Certainly, for that part of the year. Even the word, September, means nothing more than Reno. Reno taken away, I know would hurt bad. I'd get along for sure. But, I don't think I'd ever get over it. Life would be a little less fun. There is so much anticipation all year long. Even after the Sunday Gold, I (and all of us I'm sure) are already thinking of next September. I don't want to feel cheated, as most certainly, it is part of the chances we take going each year. But, I will admit that there is a hole, a heaviness, something that is just gnawing the heck out of me, when I consider the possibilities that it might all end.

You would think that life is more than that. That your home life with those around you, in your town, every day could take away those thoughts. That's why I'm askin'. Is it just me? And maybe, too... Why are these damn planes and this one event so special.

I did get to talk to Jimmy a few different times. Great guy. Amazing guy! My thoughts are so with his family and crew. They must be feeling terrible. I pray God helps them to recover and to know how good Jimmy was and how great their team is. They can hold their heads high for him and themselves.

My heartfelt prayers for all those lost, those who lost someone, and those hurt.

I found your forum years ago and have always just observed, cause I'm not so much into discussions. But, I liked what I saw. And, I really admire you all for having such a tight community. Most excellent bunch of people! Thanks for letting me post. Thank-you, Wayne for the site and to let me vent. I hope we can all meet up next year at our second home.

Greg Rullman

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        As we ducked I remember pulling my hat dwn tighter to protect my head.
                        Tho
                        I can't help but think that if the failure happened a fraction of a second earlier it would have gone into the pits full of people and combustables. A.
                        True. My friends and I that always stand there in the space/alley next to the Voodoo trailer (where Pete Law always is on a golf cart) know how lucky we are. I started taking evasive action as soon as it pulled up, but man, it must have been 1.5-2 seconds from pull up to over my head in the pit lane. There would be no escape if it landed where we were. I've timed the whole sequence from pull up to ground as about 8 seconds.

Comment

A friend is a trauma therapist and on Tuesday he asked if I wanted to sit down and talk about last Friday, but I declined.

However I was screwed up this whole week-reliving the sequence in my mind on a continuous loop of bad energy.

Yesterday we sat down in his hangar and did some talking and some EMDR therapy (bilateral stimulation).

Relief from my internal stress and the massive knot in my chest was VERY impressive and I feel almost like a normal person again. I had been very numb, distant and irritable all week prior to this.

For me, very helpful.
                          Tom Johnson
                          Tom Johnson,
                          Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                          www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                            True. My friends and I that always stand there in the space/alley next to the Voodoo trailer (where Pete Law always is on a golf cart) know how lucky we are. I started taking evasive action as soon as it pulled up, but man, it must have been 1.5-2 seconds from pull up to over my head in the pit lane. There would be no escape if it landed where we were. I've timed the whole sequence from pull up to ground as about 8 seconds.
                            Longest 8 seconds of my life.

Comment

One week in and I am not going to lie to you folks. I am having a very tough time dealing with what I saw, heard and smelled. Wish I could erase these memories. Wish I could un-see what I have seen, wish I could un-hear the things I heard, wish I could un-smell the things I smelled.

My brain won't turn off. I am nervous almost all day and I can't get the images out of my head.

...hoping for sleep tonight!

Comment

I am new to this site but have visited many times in the past just to read what others have posted. I have been coming to the Air Races since the begining. ( I was only 3 when they started. ) In all that time I have only missed out on 1 year. This has been and always will be a big part of my life. I was in the stands about mid way up next to the stairwell ,directly behind where Jimmy Crashed. I too thought I was going to Get hit untill the last 1 or 2 seconds. At that time I was so full of emotions, Fear for my Life, Relief when I realized I would be OK, and great sorrow for those who couldnt get out of harms way. Devistated and shocked after the impact, Greatfull for all those who ran too the scene to help in stead of running away. Just wish I could have helped in some way but only people with proper training were allowed to get in to the area to help.
                                The first few nights afterwards I had a very hard time getting any sleep, but has been better the last few days. Now that it has been a week past, I still hear the roar of the engine, and have visions of the accident , even with my eyes wide open. Guess it will ease with time. I will be attending the memorial on sunday. Hope to see many of you there. I LOVE this sport and I WILL ALWAYS RETURN to THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD, with THE GREATEST PEOPLE ON EARTH.
                                TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AIR RACES AND AIR SHOW FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                                X