True potential of the Ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True potential of the Ghost?

Soul, perhaps not, but personality it undoubtedly had. I've found this with restoring, driving and racing vintage cars. Each one is different. Heck, even two of the same cars set up with the identical parts have different personalities. It might have something to do with who put it together, and in the case of all the unlimited racers, it was someone (more like a group of people) and not something that assembled each one. Mechanical, yes, but they do have their own feel/vibe/life. I can tell when my car is feeling cranky, unhappy, or just ready to rip, much like a person. Its very subtle, but if you get to know it well enough through working on it, driving it and just being around it, you can sense it. I have no doubt in my mind that anyone one who flies/has flown/ worked on any one of these racers will tell you that each one is its own being. I never got to see the Ghost fly or for that matter run, but when I got to see it in person last year, you could tell there was something special about it. The same thing could be said about all the unlimiteds and the T6s for that matter.

The Ghost was special because it had such a long and colorful career. Even if it wasn't the same plane that ran in Cleveland, just the history from Reno makes it important. No, it wasn't exactly the most winning racer on the ramp, but it was a player for so long, and had so many changes, and last but most importantly it was always a racer. When you stop and think how many current racers were around in the early days, you only come up with a small handful. Rare Bear, Miss America, and the Ghost being the earliest ones I can think of (no they weren't in order) and following those, I can only think of Ridge Runner and Cloud Dancer even being close to the same era. Of those, only two of them have been dedicated racers and remained so from the begining, Galloping Ghost and Rare Bear.

Like others have said, I think the pass on Rare Bear was all we were going to see for Friday. Jimmy said he was going to show a card in that race, and he did. I think he was planning on holding off Rare Bear and sitting in 3rd. I think he was biding his time for Sunday partly hoping the other two would push each other till one or both popped and left the door open for him. Come Sunday afternoon, I think we would have seen the hand revealed. Its anyone's guess as to who would have won. I'd like to think it would have been Jimmy in the Ghost.

As for seeing another similar to Stiletto or the Ghost, it just takes someone who wants to be different. Who knows, perhaps Dago Red will come back scoopless and ready to race, or Bob Button will take the plunge and do it to Voodoo. Maybe Precious Metal will loose the Griffon, and the scoop. I can't see Strega doing it since they are the current plane to beat. Its not broken, and there is no need to fix it. Voodoo on the other hand could be the next. Those guys just can't get a break. Perhaps the decision will be made to go for it. ( I know I'd be frustrated if I were in their shoes.) Perhaps Thom Richard will do something really crazy with PM. I know pulling a racer out of mothballs and taking it racing is no small task and a lot to ask. I don't see PM being a gold contender with the likes of Strega, Voodoo, Czech Mate, Rare Bear, Furias, September Fury and (if/when its rebuilt and goes racing,) Tsunami, in its current form. Don't get me wrong, PM is super cool, it just doesn't seem to be fast enough to play with the leaders. No one goes air racing because it makes financial sense, they do it because they love the sport. Heck, if I ever win the lotto big, you can bet I'll be there with something... perhaps a clipped wing p51 with a race canopy, hot merlin, and a missing radiator scoop.

Galloping Ghost and Stiletto were the ideal looking unlimiteds in my mind. They were as clean as you could get, no scoops or blunt radial engined noses. Just clean, sleek, purpose built, minimalist, predators of the pylons. Of the two however, the Ghost was the prettiest and most elegant. It looked good from all angles, all the time. We shouldn't dwell for a moment on what the Ghost didn't do, but what it did do through out its long career. It was always evolving to be faster and better. Always one of the first to go in a new direction in the name of winning.

I can only hope and wish we would have seen the evolution of this Thoroughbred come to fruition this year with a win on Sunday. I truly hope someone will pick up the design and start again so we can realize the potential of the scoopless mustang.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Besides my interest in aviation I am also a geek, there was a quote from a favorite movie that I think speaks to the idea of things that fly having a soul...

I hope you all find it fitting..

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.

River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels. Makes her a home.

I think GG felt all our love and it made her special.... makes them all special....

Spacegrrrl

Comment

woot!!! another Brown coat.
        but some how that quote fits perfectly.
        from miss candace to ghost and all the names in between she really was part of the flesh and blood of reno and she was loved!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatter View Post
          Albeit a sick bear.
          I have had this numb feeling since Friday, that doesn't seem to go away. Hearing what other have posted I guess I am not the only one feeling that way.

I remember seeing the "Galloping Ghost" for the first time in 1980 when Mac McClain raced her and it was actually called "Jeannie". I had the privilege of being on the ramp to see the arrival and will never forget when Willey Sanders who owned her (Jeannie) made a low pass down runway 8 with Willey and his family in the company jet and "Jeannie" on one side and another P-51 mustang on the other side. It was quite a site to see 2 propeller driven airplanes sandwiched in between a jet at 100 feet off the ground at Stead Airport doing 400 mph down runway 8.

Memoreies that will last a life time!

Blue Skies Jimmy, I will miss your freindly smile.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            Who knows, perhaps Dago Red will come back scoopless and ready to race,

Will
            Yes, yes please! As everybody is, I too am incredibly deeply (the words cant describe) saddened by the loss of Jimmy, but the plane as well. This was a gold contender and kills me to know how its gone. I need somebody to make a scoopless stang to commemorate GG. I was waiting to see this amazing Mustang contend for the gold and sadly it all ended too soon. Seeing Dago come back scoopless almost sounds like a dream, but looking at it I would see the Ghost in red. Hopefully someday!!! The Ghost filled in the lack of capable planes to take the title from Strega and it absolutely sucks it ended this way!!! We will miss you and your stang forever Jimmy!
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AEROBAT View Post
              For what its worth, I spoke to someone in Minden a few weeks ago and He stated that GG was timed at speeds well in excess of 525 just recently and still had more in her. All I know is she was moovin up fast. Sure will miss both of them. Blue Skys and gentle breeze's Jimmy and GG
              I know I'm not the first to tell I'm not normally an inline engine fan but this year was different! I didn't care(for once)who won as long as Jimmy and Ghost proved all the naysayers and doubters wrong and made them eat their shorts. I really wanted to see THEM up front!

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                I know I'm not the first to tell I'm not normally an inline engine fan but this year was different! I didn't care(for once)who won as long as Jimmy and Ghost proved all the naysayers and doubters wrong and made them eat their shorts. I really wanted to see THEM up front!
                I love Radials, especially ever since the first time I saw Rare Bear with that beautiful three bladed prop! Now though it feels less fun to root for Rare Bear since they have all the money in the world and so that stubby winged little P-51 was quickly becoming my underdog favorite. There was something about the way the Ghost looked that made it look so much more appealing then the other 51's to me. The short wings, no scoop and that awesome canopy/turtle deck off of Sumthin' Else were just so slick! I was looking forward to a Ghostly upset in 2009, 2010 and 2011. All I can hope is that I live long enough or make enough money to see a 'stang built in the Ghost's image return to haunt the likes of Strega .

Comment

I don't think this was a "stock" engine.... This motor was put in the GG just prior to Reno.
                  Attached Files

Comment

When GG went by the Bear the on ground telemetry said she was doing 501mph.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinjack View Post
                      When GG went by the Bear the on ground telemetry said she was doing 501mph.
                      Is that GS or IAS?
                      Sky Critter

Comment

A 500 mph lap puts the GS through the valley at 520-530 depending on the chosen line. GPS based telemetry is not that accurate in this condition anyway, but this means that he was likely on a 470ish pace considering also that 7 & 5 had already started slowing.
                        Red
                        chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by AEROBAT View Post
                          For what its worth, I spoke to someone in Minden a few weeks ago and He stated that GG was timed at speeds well in excess of 525 just recently and still had more in her. All I know is she was moovin up fast. Sure will miss both of them. Blue Skys and gentle breeze's Jimmy and GG
                          I had heard a similar thing. We were sitting in the parking lot Friday, talking to people that came by. One of them had friends that lived near Minden that went out and were timing him. We heard 'multiple laps in excess of 500mph'. Would have been nice to see.

Comment

Straight line speeds in a dive and actual laps around a course are wildly different things. c'mon really, how could anyone time a "lap" at Minden? There is no course, no ground reference point, nothing at all.
                            Red
                            chanting...400+

Comment

Well, as I wasn't there, I can only forward what we were told. But the way GG was moving up makes me think it's not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Acorn View Post
                                I had heard a similar thing. We were sitting in the parking lot Friday, talking to people that came by. One of them had friends that lived near Minden that went out and were timing him. We heard 'multiple laps in excess of 500mph'. Would have been nice to see.
                                So this guys is saying there is a marked 10 mile oval around Minden someplace While possible, I find it unlikely.
                                If anything I'm betting that the times recorded are strait line passes at speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X