Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True potential of the Ghost?

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
    And I thought I was the only one and was feeling really weird about it. Now I don't feel so bad.
    I have had the same feeling. She was soooooo special, so beautiful and with such a rich history. It's hard for me to let go of both pilot and plane in this case. The only solace I get is knowing that Jimmy was flying his special plane and they were able to pass over together. I known a few people who have been denied their ability to fly when they were in their 70's and I know that they would've preferred to fly that final flight with their special machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
      That's pretty much the way I'm feeling right now, and why I started the thread. To me, it's kind of like the death of a child vs. someone that lives into their 90's or beyond. In the child there are lost dreams, unrealized potential, etc., but with the 90+ year old, you can say that they lived a long, productive life and more easily be at peace with the circumstances.

The Ghost certainly lived a long and fruitful life as a racer, but it had been reincarnated, and we ALL wanted to see it elevate the bar in it's new lease on life.
      That's a good way to look at it and could explain some of these feelings.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

i have similar feeling about the ghost i was really pulling for her and jimmy to do well this year,so i'm gutted about what has happened.
        i didnt think you could feel these things about aircraft till i saw the duxford accident,i had been following the history of that mustang for a large amount of my life.
        tha ghost has a very similar sensation as i've been following the reno airaces since i was quiet young(i used to steal my fathers copies of the magazines when the reno issues came out) i still remember the issue of airclassics when the rb51 was destroyed, so the story of the ghost is pretty much indelibly painted in my mind.
        Paul
        blue skies and tailwinds jimmy

Comment

For what its worth, I spoke to someone in Minden a few weeks ago and He stated that GG was timed at speeds well in excess of 525 just recently and still had more in her. All I know is she was moovin up fast. Sure will miss both of them. Blue Skys and gentle breeze's Jimmy and GG

Comment

Was that in straight and level flight, or on a practice course of some kind? I thought I had read they had a course setup in the desert? Good info to know, thanks!

Comment

I'm glad to see many of us realize what a loss never seeing GG have her moment of glory is. She had history that can never be replaced and I don't believe unless something dramatically changes in the economy there will ever be a similarly modified mustang.

I feel very lucky to have seen her in the air at speed. What a beauty!

I am going on the record once again and saying I believe Jimmy would have taken the gold at well over 500 MPH lap averages on Sunday. I also think Voodoo was ready to surprise us winning a close battle for second with Strega. This year was not the year of the Bear and Furias would have been a half lap back at fourth.

Not ever getting to know what we might have seen makes the hole in my heart even larger.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by AEROBAT View Post
                He stated that GG was timed at speeds well in excess of 525 just recently and still had more in her.
                I find that very hard to believe... The canopy was already blowing open at 470 mph.

When Skip test flew Tsunami, he tore off the belly scoop and the horz. stab in MN, to make sure nothing fell off in Reno.

If the GG went that fast in Minden, the canopy surely would have departed.

Comment

"I'm still trying to figure out if its normal for a person (me) to have such feelings towards a mechnical object."

Make no mistake Hans.The Ghost was just a mechanical object with no soul.

The instant Jimmy Leeward strapped in and fired her up it became a living breathing machine.He gave her a soul.An extension of himself.Man and machine become one and the same.

I hope with all hope that this is really what happens.I hope too that they both are glad they where together till the end.................................

Not so far fetched to have feelings for such a being.

I'm sure she sat with great anticipation everytime they prepped for a flight.Just knowing she would be freed of all earthly bonds,and to be given the chance once again to be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by BKB View Post
                    The Ghost was just a mechanical object with no soul.

The instant Jimmy Leeward strapped in and fired her up it became a living breathing machine.He gave her a soul.An extension of himself.Man and machine become one and the same.
                    With all the hundreds on nice things said about Jimmy in the last week..... this statement is head and shoulders above the rest...

..... and its the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev
                      Big Jim, you make some excellent points however I prefer "melodramatic hype". Jimmy was posturing Galloping Ghost to move up in Strega and Voodoo territory and no one can prove differently.
                      Jimmy was catching up to Voodoo and Strega, 'nuff said.
                      Why break it on friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                        Jimmy was catching up to Voodoo and Strega, 'nuff said.
                        Why break it on friday?
                        Especially since Jimmy had said Thursday they weren't even showing all their cards yet. All I know is that the ghost hauled-ass passed the bear, and none of the first four airplanes were taking it easy. In Jason's video it looks like the ghost was really moving down the VOS/around pylon 8, even more so than Voodoo just prior. Given a few more laps in that race and I think the ghost would have made substantial gains on voodoo and strega. Given two more days, as we all know, anything could have happened!

Comment

The G/G in her human form.....

She'll live on forever..... shrouded in both fame and mystery

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl

I only wish this is a conversation we could all be having over cold beers sitting in the shade of a hangar on a warm day overlooking a runway with some active war bird traffic, now in that setting we could really settle this once and for all... or maybe come to the realization that the conversation, not the conclusion is the point, just as so many times the journey is more important than the destination..

Spacegrrrl
                            Spacegrrrl,

I can feel the breeze, hear both the raucous laughter and the moments of quiet reflection, and taste the libations.

How you live truly is just as important as what you do. Ever since that fateful day, I've vowed to spend more time around my local fields and with the people who share my love. Guess that is why I am so much more active here now than ever before.

Thanks for painting a great picture in my mind. I look forward to the day that as a group we can be together to make it a reality.

Best,

James
                            Last edited by Fawkes; 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

spacegrrrl
                              beautifully said and i will raise a glass to jimmy every September from now on.

Comment

Amen spacegrrrl, VERYwell said!

Comment

Working...
                                X