Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghost photo w/out trimtab

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
    Also, reports of a mayday keep being stated. I had my scanner on full and earphones buried, I never once heard a mayday call.. only thing my mind hears is red flag red flag. Them a few minutes later pilots calling for a run way and being told to land on another. One pilot (not sure who it was) was insistent to land 2 6. Was there infact a mayday called and I didnt hear it?

Wolfee, I had my radio on race control, and I never heard a mayday. I did hear the red flag call. I'm convinced Jimmy didn't have time to call mayday.

--md

Comment

For the time being, my friend's have not put the picture of the trim tab departing in the public domain. Other pictures like it are out there. Here are the order of events like they saw it. I have not seen any video of the events that led up to the departure of controlled flight, since most of the media is concerned with the impact.

- GG completes the last turn and over banks to approx 100 degrees left bank or so
      - plane rolls to level and experiences a series of quick pitch excursions and pitches up hard. The tailwheel extends during the pitch excursions
      -GG pitches hard up, and rolls to the right towards the crowd. One of my friends pictures shows JL's helmet forward and to the right, presumably against the panel. The trim tab is still attatched at this point, and some slight oil canning appears in both wings.
      -GG's trim tab departs the left elevator while the plane arcs over the crowd, continuing with positive G and right roll. JL's helmet still appears to be forward and to the right. No change in power is noted by my friends from the beginning to the end.

I hope this isn't the end of the Races as we know them, but it may be. Lawyers will see to that.

I sad for everyone who has been affected by this crash, from Jimmy Leeward, to the victims and survivors, and even the witnesses. Hopefully we can honor them by learning what we can about the cause, and continuing the races.

SLCPilot

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
        Quote: " From a video that was on youtube from the fenceline,"

Where, the only thing I see is grandstand videos. Can you link please?
        Maybe this one:

"GALLOPING GHOST" on final pass at the Reno Air Races seconds before fatal crash. Nothing wrong with the plane or pilot at this point.

Comment

Question ... if Jimmy was unconsious/incapacitated as postulated in previous posts, and slumped forward against the instrument panel, wouldn't the seat belt shoulder straps prevent this from happening? In other words, wouldn't the safety belts hold him in place so even if he was unconsious his helmet would still be visible in the canopy in the photos we've seen?

All the photos I've seen look enhanced and Photoshop'd so am I seeing a real image from the event? Help me here ... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cwbspeed View Post
            Question ... if Jimmy was unconsious/incapacitated as postulated in previous posts, and slumped forward against the instrument panel, wouldn't the seat belt shoulder straps prevent this from happening? In other words, wouldn't the safety belts hold him in place so even if he was unconsious his helmet would still be visible in the canopy in the photos we've seen?

All the photos I've seen look enhanced and Photoshop'd so am I seeing a real image from the event? Help me here ... Thanks
            Can't answer why he wasn't visible...But have seen some other images taken by a person right there with me and he was NOT visible...Very strange to be certain, but definitely the case.

Comment

In the voodoo case the pilot was pulled out of the harness.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

It's easier to see while holding the newspaper (which I just opened), but it's all there: Trim tab missing and the helmet is against the panel. Despite what some have said (including idiot media) due to the GLoc there clearly was no chance for last second heroic control changes here or a mayday. The helmet never pops up in any pics at all.

Im not hot linking it but it's here if you wish to see it:

Last edited by John H; 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I spoke with Buckwheat's better half last night, both are having problems sleeping..

He has invaluable insight into this, since he may well be the only person who has survived a similar (pretty much exactly) the same problem.

I await a phone call from Bob, with hopefully, an interview will shed light on what happened yesterday.
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My uncle heard a loud POP right before he pitched up. Could this be the control surfaces "disconnecting" from the stick?
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Wayne, Bob was the first one I thought of when this happened and all these years later he is lucky and I am glad he is alright. I think those who understand his deal understand just what he went through.

It is easy to look at a still photo and think "well why isnt his head up" but 10 gs, even if you are awake, will pin your head to your lap if you are not expecting it. Just ask Buckwheat.
                      Last edited by wyhdah; 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

i heard that telementry recoreded ten and a half G's in the pullup.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinjack View Post
                          i heard that telementry recoreded ten and a half G's in the pullup.
                          Are you stating that "someone" can verify Ghost had up and running tylemmetry onboard?

Recorded for analysis like Dago had?

Doc

Comment

NTSB has reported GG had telemetry and video onboard. All shipped to DC for analysis.
                            F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

He might have been refering to the Voodoo incident. It was reported at 10 Gs. That is what I was discussing in the post above it. But it would be consistent with that accident in speed, and loss of the elevator trim tab so the data the NTSB has should be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by De Camara View Post
                                Are you stating that "someone" can verify Ghost had up and running tylemmetry onboard?

Recorded for analysis like Dago had?

Doc
                                NTSB says that Ghost had both telemetry and video onboard. The telemetry sent data to the crew, which NTSB has now, and also saved it to a memory card. Video was recording to a memory card as well. NTSB says they've recovered a number of memory cards at the crash site, and all are being sent to their lab in DC tomorrow. Hope that helps.
                                sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                                http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Working...
                                X