Reno News - Dwight Thorne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno News - Dwight Thorne

Thought you'd all like to know how The Doctor was doing..

Air Racing, Reno Air Races News: Rolls-Royce Merlin engine guru Dwight Thorne Returns to building engines...

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

How's the fur now, Bear

I can just feel the fur raising on the back of that Bear.

No telling what the Doctor was thinking about during that time off, but I bet it had to do with speed.

God Bless ya Dwight.
    ECVSteve
    E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
    Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Re: How's the fur now, Bear

Originally posted by ecvsteve
      I can just feel the fur raising on the back of that Bear.

No telling what the Doctor was thinking about during that time off, but I bet it had to do with speed.

God Bless ya Dwight.
      Well, from talking with John Slack at least once he got him thinkin about it, Dwight was thinking engines...

I truly have to be careful about what I ever say from conversations with the racers, that's how it is and how it should be, it's a competitive game and they will only talk with me if they know that I do not take stuff from one place to another, or worse, publish things that were not meant for public view..

I do think that what John told me about how the engine process went, early on, while Dwight was still in the hospital can be talked about..

They were actually bringing in parts on gurneys for Dwight to inspect/discuss.. One evening, John and Dwight had a very long conversation about the Merlin and what had gone into it over the years to make it faster... sort of all of it..

At the end of the conversation, John told me that Dwight said....

"of course you know, now I have to kill you"

The gang down there are in good spirits, my story was deliberately short, there's much more human interest that could have gone into it..

In fact, I just got off the phone with Kerch, he's now down at Mystery Aire also "this engine is a thing of beauty"... was what he had to say about it.

I may have to update the story I wrote yesterday actually... or maybe not..

I can tell by talking with the guys down there.. they are not thinking they have a "buy" this year, but they are confident...

The 2003 NCAR will be one of the most hotly fought competitions in the history of this sport...

This I can feel in my bones. If any one does not make it down for the early week stuff, they are going to miss the most amazing drama ever.. stragedy will be in play this year.. probably more than ever.. and there are some EXTREMELY strong airplanes bringing up the mid pack "crowd".... The fastest will have to stay fastest or be eaten by the middle pack..

WOW...

And yes, it's absolutely great to hear Dwight doing so well!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Dwight

Wayne,
        You are right about the hospital trips with parts. At one point the doctors could not understand were Dwight was going with his recovery, they were somewhat confused by his answers. Those of us that knew Dwight well, knew, He was starting to talk about Mice and Merlins. The doctors said it was OK to bring parts in to the hospital, to jog his memory. Once he got the parts in his hand, the visual input triggered an immense amount of information. Backed up by physical evidence in the shop. It is truly great to have Dwight back in the saddle when we need him most, the other night he even pushed on to 10:30.

Comment

Re: Dwight

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Wayne,
          You are right about the hospital trips with parts. At one point the doctors could not understand were Dwight was going with his recovery, they were somewhat confused by his answers. Those of us that knew Dwight well, knew, He was starting to talk about Mice and Merlins
          Perty sure I know who this particular "unregged" guest is and you're a good man for doin' the parts thing!

I'm laughing thinking of the doctors scratching their heads thinking.. "what is this man talking about!!??"

If this is who I think it is.. I gotta thank you heartily for passing the phone calls onto me that you did the other day, it was great to talk with both Dwight and Kerch, it's been far too long for both and I've gotta get my phone phinger werkin again and keep in touch with those two.

I know that there has been some "grumbling" here and there because this site (me) has been putting so much attention on "the Bear" this year.. I know that you guys who are gonna race against the airplane appreciate that they simply need the help and we're doing just what you would do in the pits if they needed help to get the airplane running, you're lending your hand and helping out!

I'm 500 miles away from the hangar or I'd likely be out there pulling a rag out of my pocket with the rest of the guys. If I was real good, they might even let me polish the airplane spinner

Anyway, good to hear from you guys, I'm going to try to get more stuff up between now and Reno, it's tough since I have a paying gig right now that takes a lot of my time, and most of my "creative" energy.. That's the bad news, the good news is, the "company" is healthy again and we're going to be around for a while.

With all I know about all the teams who have the potential to win it this year, and there are several with *potential* to do so, all I can say is that the week prior to Sunday (Monday to Sunday) is going to be VERY VERY interesting!

Looking forward to seeing all you guys and gals soon!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well we have a potential, we didn't even have that a couple weeks ago, Rare Bear fans, Go figure.
            All I know is I am not putting money on anybody this year.

But Dago Red will wiiiiinnnn.

I love this stuff, Thanks guys.
            ECVSteve
            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Working...
            X