This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Wayne and I thought that this might be something to broaden the scope of this website beyond that of air racing. To this end I have offered to post photos and try to answer questions about U.S. aircraft from about 1927 to maybe 1997. I don't have much knowledge or information on the very early 1900's and the current military jet age. But I do have a fairly large file of photos and a 3,000 title book library covering aircraft of the 1930's and 1940's. We will see how this flies and if there is any interest.

Great Tool for us,TY.

I'd like to have a place to post my Army Pics of My AH-1G . And I'm sure there lots of Vets who will share! Right Brothers! I'd like to see some Loaches ,Slicks,and even action shots,,Thanks Lots,,,Cobra Ray.

Comment

WWII Aerial Photos

Look to this article for info regarding 5 million photos to be put on-line:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I'm hoping there's some kind of an index, but the samples are truly awesome.

MAE - Comments@Reno-SteadAirport.com

------------------

Comment

WW2 pics

Great Stuff!

Comment

Just Checking

Bill.... I have not seen much activity here on this section lately, just wanted to check in and make sure the New Year has found you well.

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Introduction

I am new to the forum. My reason for joining is to find out as much as I can about my great uncle, John G. (Tex) Rankin and his brothers. I have been able to find some info on the web, but not many pictures.

My first experience in an aricraft was with my uncle Wesley Rankin. He took me up and did some simple areobatic stunts. It was exciting and fun, but having a father who was a sailor, I followed suit and went into the Navy. The only flying I have done since that first flight is minlitary or commercial and only as a passenger.

So forgive me if I don't quite fit in, but while looking for answers about my family, I believe that some of the members here can be of assistance in my quest for information into our family's aviation history.

Thank you,
            Bob

Comment

Bob: You should start by finding a copy of the book "Black Cats and Outside Loops" by Walt Bohrer. It is ISBN 0929734033 and was published in 1990. It is a well written book about Tex Rankin. You can find a copy at Barnes and Noble at <http://www.bn.com> and I will get back to you with some further information. If I can remember how to attach a photo here I will send a portrait that I took of Tex at Union Air Terminal, Burbank, in 1939.

Comment

Good God Bill.... i'ts great to see you're well!!!!!!

Would love to see you more active.. let me know if I can help with photo posting..!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I just hunted all over for the answer and couldn't find it. Every website seems to have a different system. Sorry about the silence, I guess I lost you in the overload. I currently run 54 Yahoo Groups and contribute to other websites. The Internet has grown tremendously since we started corresponding in 2003. Here is my updated home page:

Comment

Wayne: I forgot to mention two items - but they are not about racing;
                    I have over 2,000 photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/BillLarkins
                    and several hundred at http://airport-data.com
                    And I am finishing my ninth book, another one for Arcadia, so please don't think there was anything personal about my absence. Bill L

Comment

Oh Heck no Bill! I'm just happy you're well!

Thanks for the links!

Scroll down on your post and you'll see "manage attachments" this will allow you to browse your local computer and upload images from there..

I think I have it set so that a 900 pixel wide image can be uploaded..

Saved at about 70-80% quality will usually meet the 230+ (something) kilobyte size limit..

Again, really good to see you well!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Tex Rankin

Here is the photo of Tex Rankin that I mentioned.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tex Rankin's Great Lakes

Bob: Tex did most of his acrobatic work in his modified Great Lakes 2T-1A. He did a lot of upside down flying so he had his name painted that way on one side. Here are two photos showing that.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Boeing 314A

Wayne: Your photo specs are much larger than I have been limiting myself to so here is a test to see if they are OK. This is less than your 230KB limit. The photo was taken at Treasure Island on April 25, 1939 at the christening of the California Clipper.
                            Bill
                            ------------------------------

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Oh Heck no Bill! I'm just happy you're well!

Thanks for the links!

Scroll down on your post and you'll see "manage attachments" this will allow you to browse your local computer and upload images from there..

I think I have it set so that a 900 pixel wide image can be uploaded..

Saved at about 70-80% quality will usually meet the 230+ (something) kilobyte size limit..

Again, really good to see you well!

Wayne
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hello

new to this forum

message for Bill

I have seen your work on flickr and i am very impressed

please post lots of pictures of Beech 18's

restoring one here in the uk

CF-DTN now G-BKRN

do you have any pics of her as RCAF 1500

regards

philip

Comment

Working...
                              X