Reno 2003 Synopysis And Your Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 2003 Synopysis And Your Predictions

Ok, everyone is hungry for information on who/what/where for Reno 2003 so we're going to put up what we know, to date here on the board. Most of which has already been published here on this board or elsewhere on this site...

Unlimited Division

Dago Red: getting a new engine, details, from what I gather, are not to be published at this time. We await a chance to talk with Dwight, whom is the only source we feel comfortable referring to for this information. When Dwight wants it public, if, in fact, the engine is a "Thorne Merlin" then, we'll put something up that is "official"

Strega: Tiger is done racing, as far as we know. This is what he said he was going to do, this is what we believe he will hold to doing. It is sad, we'd love to see a full-on, race ready Strega doing battle at Reno this year and year's to come. It does not look like it will happen. Long live the king!

Rare Bear: Running, flying, tests to date show a healthy engine and airplane. New crew doing well with their charge, in contact with the keepers of the "secrets of speed" from the people who have been with the bird from the beginning.. Funding for race this year, still in question, it remains up to the fans of the sport, any sponsors who might come aboard and the publications covering the sport to help ensure that these funds come in or, the airplane will not race.

Critical Mass: Engine repairs complete, or nearly so.. search for a uncuffed Skyraider prop have kept the team from being totally ready. An arrangement with Lyle Shelton to use his spare prop is in the works, unknown if this deal will actually happen or if the airplane will be race ready for Reno whether or not it gets a prop. Our bet is, the deal will happen and the airplane will race.

September Fury: New paint, very well prepared airplane, determined owner/pilot who wants a Gold race win in his resume. Airplane looked and sounded good at PRS.

Czech Mate: Reportedly, will race, further details are unknown at this time.

Furias: New pilot, crew "down to paintin' ground equipment" likely will be much faster than past few years.

Miss America: Owner/pilot Brent Hisey has told us to look for a new engine and a "new look" for the airplane. Our insistent requests for more information on this "new look" were shunned. Watch for a surprise at Reno 2003 if no one lets the cat out of the bag prior to Brent getting there with a completed airplane. Airplane was damaged by a tornado, team moved to new hangar, move and damage slowed process to get airplane ready. Unknown if it will be ready, our bet is, yes it will...

Big Bossman: A winner before engine start on sheer beauty alone. An impressive airplane sitting still, Unknown if Mike Brown or Randy will do the race duties at Reno 2003. Likely a top of the Bronze, or Silver competitor.

Precious Metal: Owner/pilot Ron Buccarelli told us in April that he would not make Reno but would for sure be at the Vegas demo races in November... He loves to fly the airplane, unknown if his plans will change. Likely a no show for Reno.. be there on the ramp in September to find out for sure.

Voodoo: Complete unknown. Airplane is under modification on the eventual path of becoming totally stock. Will it race at Reno 2003? Complete unknown.. if it races, who will race it? Possible new/old pilot... anything is possible isn't it?

No further news available to us at this time for this division.

Sport Division

NemesisNxt: Recent conversation with the team indicates the five kit rule has been or will be met, airplane will not only be ready for Reno, it will likely debut at Oshkosh, as of this day in July, aafo is not planning on attending Oshkosh so... we'll have to wait and see...

American Air Racing Thunder Mustang: As of PRS, engine was off for a "tune up" we suspect, this tune up will be a pretty major affair and the airplane's owner/pilot, John Parker, a keen competitor, will be looking for more speed, a LOT more speed..

T-6 Division

Mystical Power: Unknown if Tom Campau will return to defend his 2002 title.

Two of Hearts: Ran some pretty darn hot laps at PRS 2003, Mary wants another win and this time with her "baby" Blue...

IF1 Division

No news available to us at this time for this division

Biplane Division

Expect each airplane in the division will be polished and tweaked and faster than last year... watch for big development in this division next year.

We'll add to this message as we get more details, feel free to add whatever you have from whomever you have it from... provided you do not tell any secret $hit... let's let the racers keep the info they want to keep and not spoil any surprises anyone wants to spring on us come September...

Ok, the above "knowns" being stated.. what are YOUR predictions for race week 2003?

Example: (not necessairly our "predictions")

Dago Red goes out on second Unlimited session on Monday and blows a 500.0001 MPH lap, Rare Bear hits the sky on Tuesday and turns in a 503.002 MPH lap and captures the pole back from Dago. Dago goes out again to try to better the speed and they do not but there are many frowns in the Dago Red pit and much attention being given to the engine. No one is talking, no one is allowed past the pit ropes... Furias surprises everyone and turns in a 478.217MPH qualifying speed and sits in third place, all are smiling in their pit... and on and on..

Whaddya think??

The podium is open....

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Ok I'll bite. Dago goes out first and runs 498 and change, she can easily do 500, but they don't wanna risk a no race on Sunday. (Unless she shows up with a spare full on race motor, which I somehow feel is the big engine secret for 03) Bear sees a chance and goes for it...$50 part fails and wrecks the motor...I will be very suprised to see her make it through Fri....Sat at the latest. Furias goes 475, Dreadnought goes 475, Sept knocks em off with a 480ish lap. If Critical Mass is there, she goes 475 is as well. (Maybe they will hang the prop off the blown up Bear on her for Sunday......ok, that ain't gonna happen, but would be friggin awesome.) In the middle of all that Brent goes out in a now full mod Miss A and runs a very conservative 470, or just fast enough to make the Gold race. Sunday....down the chute it's Dago followed by a couple of roundies, but Miss A is showin her hand and gets to third. Sept or Dreadnought push Dago hard and she starts spittin parts. Miss A makes the pass for the suprise victory of the decade on the last lap. Or Dreadnought runs a slightly wide line and BARELY hold her off. Silver race is all Big Bossman. She gets the pole and no one can pass through all the bad air she's makin. Bronze....um um uum I dunno. Something tahts almost stock....lol Sport class....Daryl goes 365, Sharp in close pursuit. Big HP and a couple of really competitive sticks give us our first BIG sport class engine blow up and deadstick landing. IF1.....who knows....T6 Al Goss and Mary D fightin it out all race long for the win.

Comment

Woo Hoo! That's the spirit!

Anyone else??

I'll keep my "true" look into the crystal ball under my hat, for now..

I'll say this.. SOMEONE's gonna get that 500mph this year.. who??

Crap... the ball's cloudin over.... anyone got any 500mph windex??

Wayne Sagar
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK,

No 500 mph lap unless Dago is pushed in the final. Terry Bland doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wastes money twice. Rare Bear's shoe-string budget only provides for qualifying near the top, not at it. Going home early is a monster no-no for a group in critical need of a sponsor.

So what happens?

Dago wins gold, it is the only plane/owner presently capable of affording sustained speeds above 480. Miss A is a wild card - with Voodoo's canopy and a full race Merlin maybe she can push the Bear and Dago enough that someone breaks. All the other roundies finish behind Bear: a special Yak and a bunch of Sea Furies. Only Miss A and Dago are in the final for the V-12 contigent.

Voodoo wins silver over still more Sea Furies including Furias and Bossman takes bronze over the usual suspects.

All other classes: insufficient information

Comment

Wayne is smoking the Hookah Pipe again!
          Scotty G

Comment

predictions

I believe Dago will finally do the 500 mph lap. Is'nt Terry Bland in the process of going for the ultimate speed record before Reno using Strega's old engine? Is that only a rumor?
            They'll have a good racing engine left for the races after using up one for quali's.
            Rare Bear will run strong but common sense will place her in second or third place for the pole, leaving her ready for Sunday.
            September Fury will be a surprise and may qualify ahead of Da Bear.
            And that's how they'll finish after a close final race. Miss A will be a strong forth (unless everyone else breaks). I'd love to see Bear return with a win but....
            Silver will be between Furias and September Pops, with Sept. Pops taking it by a spinner.
            Bronze is Hopefully the F&F, but pilot skill will tell. It's a lot of airplane compared to the competition!
            IF1 will be the John Sharp show after a fine attempt be Darryl.

Hmmmmmm....
            I HAVE been wrong before...

Leo
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

T-6: The most "Mystical One" will fly for a 4th championship with Mary Beth Campau as CC and the same d*** stick (if we can get him out of the Pylon Bar in time).
              Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by Race#21
                T-6: The most "Mystical One" will fly for a 4th championship with Mary Beth Campau as CC and the same d*** stick (if we can get him out of the Pylon Bar in time).
                Woo Hoo! MP's comin back! Wouldn't be the same without ya!

Now with this new CC on board.. does this mean you guys are gonna smell better <running and ducking>

Got a couple of tie-da-knot pix for you guys when I next see ya's

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Rare Bear wins,
                  Box #B68 riots in celebratory exuberance, fires spread
                  Don Hatten and 9 others banned from Stead Field for decades

Don Hatten
                  Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

banned

But nominated into Section 3, where his actions, tho exemplary, are considered tame....
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Re: banned

Originally posted by Leo
                      But nominated into Section 3, where his actions, tho exemplary, are considered tame....
                      LOL!! BTW: how DO you get one of those Orange T-Shirts?

Don

Comment

I wish I knew! I have sat in front of them since they have existed and never even tried to join, tho I've wanted to. A lot of people don't like the rowdiness, the lack of PC. But in some way that's the essence of being a fan, having fun and supporting your sport. I've always sat there cuz all the acts salute them and get close and personal.
                        I too, would like an orange shirt!

Leo
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Unlimited &quot;Up-Roar&quot;

It is the Year of the Round Engine with only a few exceptions. The first and most notable exception will be Dago Red's 59.33 second lap (only 0.47 seconds faster than last year) that sets the new 501.731 record on a hot Wednesday afternoon. In cooler and windier weather earlier in the week Rare Bear turns a 60.02 second lap that translates to 495.963 mph where they feel they will keep the pole with the then struggling race #4 team looking all but out of it. September Fury has previously cruised to the new Sea Fury record speed of 493.905. Critical Mass isn't far (0.93 seconds) behind them, though maybe pushing much harder at 486.400. Speculation on Wednesday night is that had these three roundies waited till the second session on the 10th that there would be at least one more over the 500 barrier. Though several notches down the radials also are looking great with a faster than ever Furias with its new trick prop, a sizzling Czech Mate, and the mighty Dreadnought all above 450 mph! One other V-12 sneaks in there, however when the gorgeous new Miss America posts a 64.81 second lap and a best ever 459.307 mph speed. Race #38 with some new tricks is a bit of a dark horse at 442 and change, leading a gaggle of Sea Furies including Riff Raff at a new best 425 mph, Bad Attitude at 417, Spirit of Texas at 414, and Miss Merced at 409. Voodoo is the next best Stang and the only other racer over 400 with its 408 speed. Merlin's Magic has some troubles during qualifying days but gets around the course as the last qualifier Wednesday in exactly a minute and a quarter for a 396.902 speed. Where is September Pops? Theyr'e lying low for now so as not to accidently bump into the Gold if there is much attrition. They qualify easily at 391 for 16th slot. Sea Hawk and Argonaut are the tenth and eleventh Sea Furies respectively to make the field. The nineteenth and twentieth qualifiers are both Yaks. The new #88 Yak posts a surprising 389.120 speed with Jimmy Leeward flying a tight line, and the #104 Yak (with a growling new G-6 Allison and other new mods) is rumored to be sandbagging when its 384.993 is recorded. The Tigercat is 22nd quick after Miracle Maker with a ho-hum 374 mph speed. Their goal is a Bronze victory and they are just where they wanted to be going into Thursday morning. The remarkable qualifying session has left more excitement in the air than has been seen since 1988. The heat races really put things in an "Up-Roar" (pun intended) and some real interesting strategy unfolds for several teams. By Saturday night unfortunately one of the top eight qualifiers is out broken, but a very popular Mustang has made a big advance, race #86 has convincingly said goodbye to its bad luck streak, and a Florida fellow aims to show a Texan and a Californian that no dern Roundy's gonna win this Silver.
                          Sunday's Bronze sees the Tigercat down low in a chase behind the red and white Night Witch. Leeward fights to stay ahead of that prop wash but the extra 3,600 cubic inches gets its way barely at the end. There is a protest about the low low flying of the front runners but it is disallowed.
                          A pylon cut upsets the wild Silver race and #911 gets the trophy. The #104 Yak makes a name for itself in this race as well.
                          Sunday's Gold is epic. Most will go away saying it was the best ever Unlimited race at Reno. The early laps see blistering record speeds and the four front runners see more than a few lead changes. Everyone in Washoe County is on their feet screaming it seems and by the third lap........, but I must leave off here with the details 'cept to say I expect a one-two Sea Fury record speed finish in the front page photo of Monday morning's Reno Gazzette-Journal.

If this weren't enough to keep Wayne awake on his Monday morning drive to Susanville, everyone is jacked for next year amid rumors of a new Strega owner (household name) with major sponsor and plans to return a V-12 to the 2004 winner's circle. The American Spirit and Dart custom built Unlimiteds are also promised along with a twin pusher from overseas. A military stock painted Thunder Mustang with big supercharged horsepower is said to be near ready for Unlimited compeition, as are the long overdue debut of Jack Frost's #90 Yak, the much longer overdue debut of The Mach Buster, Dave Garber's push-pull twin Rotary, and the R-2800 Wildfire. The return of the Galloping Ghost, NX79111, and the promise of a mostly stock P-63 entry, with some possibility of White Lightning coming back as well. Get your reservations for 2004 early but DO NOT MISS Reno 2003!

Comment

My prediction for Reno 2003.

I will find Saddam Hussein hiding in the chem toilet on pylon two and collect the twenty-five mil. Leaving the pylon to turn S.H. over to the cops, I back over Osama Bin Laden with my truck and collect that twenty-five mil. Buy the former Galloping Ghost, Miss Candace, Jeannie, Leaward Air Ranch Special, Specter..............(well, you get the idea).

I return to Reno in 2004 married to Jennifer Aniston. (Brad Pitt was lost in one of those freak bowling accidents that you read about in the paper all the time.) I set the qualifying record with a lap of 525 mph+!

Sundays final Gold race. I come down the shute in the lead with Dago right on my tail. Rare Bear close behind in third. But I fall all the way to last place on lap two when a box containing evidence that will absolve Martha Stewart of all criminal charges comes loose and gets pinned under the right rudder peddle.

I come back on the course on lap four, pass all the racers except Dago. I nip Dago at the finish line for the closest win in the history of air racing.

If you guys can have your dreams, I can have mine!

Comment

"If you guys can have your dreams, I can have mine!"

Your's probably has a better chance of coming true....

Leo
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X