Once upon a lost race week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once upon a lost race week...

Once upon a lost race week an aerodynamic consultant had made a deal that would result in actual $$$ being paid for actual mph on course. All I had to do was produce the modifications and prove the speed was real.

The end of the story is that I produced the first of five highly experimental planned mods during an all night session from 2320 9/10/01 to 0530 9/11/01. We all know what happened then.

The unspoken part of the story is, in some ways, relevent to the current situation on the boards. I did not continue working for that team as they had gone in other directions (such is the nature of Unlimiteds and I have absolutely no ill feelings). I did at the time put every effort I had into making them faster.

During the afternoon of 9/10, the team was troubleshooting an issue with the gear uplocks that was costing them many mph. This troubleshooting left me with mods to do that meant money to me and no way to start them for the entire evening. To say that I was a little anxious is an understatment.

A couple of friends saw me wearing myself out fretting over the lost time and decided I needed some food and counseling. After their rather insistant care, I was much refreshed and better focused when the uplock problem was finally solved at 2300 and I was able to push through my all-nighter. For the record, I created hard templates of the existing oil cooler exit duct attachments, went to my shop and designed and fabricated tooling plugs for new outlets taking into consideration the airflow patterns from the prior day's oil streak testing (left and right hand), and fabricated new outlet ducts. At 0530, they were set up and I placed them in the back of my truck bed for post curing while I got some sleep.

(Technical note: The bed of a pickup truck with a black bedliner or black mat will reach 60 to 100F higher temperatures than ambiant in direct sun and makes a fine post cure oven.)

While I slept, the world changed.

That I lost the work with that team is of little signifigance. What is important (outside of the obvious) is that a couple of people dedicated to air racing saw me running out of steam and helped me out. Those people run this site.

On a completely different note, I was also one of the people who joined (and later quit) the Rare Bear effort during its tumultuous period that is still going on. I could say many things both good and bad about what I saw and experienced. I won't. I will say that I wish the team the best of luck and I do think that the press should be unbiased and not push any one team over another no matter how noble the effort. That said, the Bear team is being very open and communicative about their efforts and, with other teams being so close mouthed, it is somewhat understandable that this site has a great deal of material on the Bear and very little on less open teams.

These are opinions, nothing more.

It is possible that the Bear will either dust everyone or wear them all out. It is also possible that she will blow. We really don't know and that's what makes it a race.

Good luck to all!

Eric Ahlstrom

(who forgot his password and is in between e-mail accounts)

Re: Once upon a lost race week...

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I will say that I wish the team the best of luck and I do think that the press should be unbiased and not push any one team over another no matter how noble the effort. That said, the Bear team is being very open and communicative about their efforts and, with other teams being so close mouthed, it is somewhat understandable that this site has a great deal of material on the Bear and very little on less open teams.
    Eric,

thanks for the support (if that was what it was meant to be )

This *whole* "debate" going on is *somewhat* humorous to me, or it could be if I didn't get so worn out about it at times...

I think it safe to say, we have, at the very least, been accused of giving somewhat "preferential" coverage of one team in the sport.

Let's back up and look at this in a completely "unbiased" light. By that, I mean, not as a crewmember, former crewmember, biased or unbiased fan of any certain team or another.. Let's just go back in history a few years and look at how this publication provided coverage.

In fact, let's go all the way back to when Miss Ashley II was the "great white hope".. when that airplane was something so new and so notable that it garnered most of our time and effort in covering her..

During that time, we paid an inordinate amount of attention to that airplane and that team, in fact, the very story we broke about the airplane, coupled with the "inside" look we got to take at the Spruce Goose is what launched this site..

When the Spruce Goose was struggling for funding and tip-toeing over the legalities of getting their museum built, we spent a lot of time working with and for them to get their cause completed..

When MAII was the "big" story, we spent a lot of time and speculation on her..

This year and last with the Rare Bear is no different than then.

Let's look at the ink&paper world.. Air and Space Smithsonian ran a story about the Bear.. did they run one about any other racer? No...

Air Classics is currently running and has been running ads and mention of Rare Bear.. Do they do this for other racers? Not hardly.. though there will be some mention, from time to time of other racers, none are getting ads run on any Challenge publication that I know of. Currently, both Air Classics and Warbirds Worldwide have quarter page (or larger) ads running for Rare Bear giving them the attention that they need to get their program done..

What is the reason for this? Is it bias? Is it jumping on a band wagon?

I can tell you that I love the guys on the Furias team, they were there for me personally when I needed them and have been nothing but cooperative with me since I first met them several years ago, shared tears with them when they lost so much in '99 and would I love to see them do well at Reno? Damn right I would!

I have several good friends on Critical Mass team, again, professional relationships that have grown into friendships and I'll ask the same question.. Would I love to see them do well at Reno? Damn right I would!

I do not know the members of the Czech Mate team very well but I have a great deal of historical connection to the airplane (I met the former owner's son and first class mechanic who was one of the main forces during the bulid process when I lived in Klamath Falls) I know and very much like Sherm Smoot... would I like to see them do well at Reno.. ? Again.. damn straight I would!

Now let's get to our coverage for this year and hell.. last year.. We do NOT do as much as we used to, we don't do as much about any team as we used to. What is the reason for this?

We did a reality check last year and we decided that the cash flow, hell, the cash hemorrage! that was outbound from this site and our pockets to do the level of coverage we were doing was something that we quite simply could not afford. My credit cards were and are maxed out from the effort.

Ok.. so about what we *DO* cover and have dug up this year. We talked with Brent Hisey about Miss A.. he told us what he wanted to and nothing more. Why? He's got a new look, a new engine and he does not want to jinx himself by letting out more than what he wants to.. That and, I suspect, he wants to surprise everyone with the new look and... not give the competition any clue what he's doing..

Furias.. when they painted her, we knew what she looked like, but we agreed not to publish anything until they reached Reno..

We did when they landed as asked.

They had a pilot change this year, we caught wind of it and after a respectable time, we asked the right questions and got the story and ran it..

Mike Brown had a new paint job, we knew about it, not first hand, had no contact information but waited till he hit Reno for PRS, (as he would have wanted anyway) and published on this board our first looks at it...

We spoke with someone who told us Czech Mate would probably return for Reno 2003 at PRS.. we have not run a story or stuck that info out there because, we have not had a chance to run it by the airplane's owner to see if he wanted it published.. now, because of feeling my back burning from being pushed against a wall of having to explain my every move on this website, I'm saying it and could screw up a trusted source because I am saying it..

Face it people, the Rare Bear story is the lead story of this year, whether or not you like the team, the airplane, or Lyle Shelton or Wayne Sagar... that's the facts ma'am..

I know there is a fair amount of what I'll just politely call... "undercurrent" from the former team members of Rare Bear, to ALL of you, and I'm not meaning to single out any one person, particularly you Eric, and it might seem that way because this is a response to your message.. I'm going to say this really firmly to ALL former members of the team..

JUST GET OVER IT!

You left the team, for whatever reasons any of you had, guess what.. that's not a story.

I'm sorry to have to say this but quite simply, it's just not.

The fact that an entirely different group of people picked up the ball and now are running toward the goal with it and are having to jump every hurdle, not just mechanical but financially as well and they are doing it with a particular style that is quite interesting.. IS A STORY..

Is the fact that Dago Red will be the top contender and is getting a new engine from Dwight's shop with his "hands" all over it a story? Yes, it is.. as it was last year and the year before that and on and on.

Is the fact that Critical Mass is now "in bed" with Rare Bear to get a prop and their absolute generosity and SPORTSMANSHIP made the test runs possible at PRS '03 a huge story.. Yes it is..

Why have we not run that one yet? We've simply not had time to dig it out and... we've not had time to really sit down with the principals and get permission for HOW MUCH we can say....

Do you guys think that we can write everything that the teams let us overhear and still have a welcome mat put out for us next time by?

Once again.. I'm spending my limited time writing about this single subject, one that was started by someone who has only his own best interest in mind, and it's a bit of a warped interest at that..

Phew..

Go buy a magazine if you think you'll find more coverage there, or go to warbirdaeropress, or Pylon1, or warbird.com..

Or, as Scott Germain so aptly put it.. pick up a camera and a keyboard and throw us a bone... just as we do with Sharon Coates updates, we'll publish it...

I'm really not mad at anyone here and I hope I'm not coming off as so.. I'm just really worn out on all this.

You guys are just as able to get information and put it on this board as I am.. If you know something, see something and get clearance to say something.. Please, by all means, do so..

Obviously, the message system is the fastes way to get information out..

Jump in and play the game.. or sit there and wait for whatever we get time, and/or, energy to publish...

Thanks for the soapbox... I'll climb down now..

Can we put this subject to bed and get on with it? Bury our grudges, look forward to one of the best year's of competition in the history of the Reno Air Races?

I certainly hope so!

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
    X