Off Topic-B-17 Liberty Bell crashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic-B-17 Liberty Bell crashed

The B-17 Liberty Bell has crashed. Apparently no inuries to crew or passegers, but it appears that the plane is a total loss.

Re: Off Topic-B-17 Liberty Bell crashed

Just saw this on the local news. Sad for the aircraft. Glad they all got out. Pilot did a good job setting it down in a field.

Comment

Yikes.

Glad all the crew and passangers were ok.
      Last edited by planecrazy2; 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM.
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Where and when did that happen?

My two step sons, and their two brothers, and father, were to take a "ride" in the Collins Foundation's B-24 this last saturday out of Buchanan Airfield in Concord, CA, but due to engine trouble with the B-24, they got to go for the ride in the B-17 instead.

Even though I have history with the B-24/Privateer, I think they got the better deal with the B-17...

But I have not heard of "Liberty Bell"... I don't think it's the same one, but then again I don't know..

Comment

The "Liberty Belle" was not one of the Collings Foundation aircraft. Similar mission, different organization.
          John Smutny

Comment

In happier times April 30, 2011 at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Too bad...

Danno
            Attached Files

Comment

It emergency landed and then burned.

Liberty Belle did not crash.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                It emergency landed and then burned.

Liberty Belle did not crash.
                Correct. The pilot landed in a corn field, then burned. From the pics I saw, he did one hell of a job getting it down on the gear. If they could have fought the fire, it might have been salvageable.

Comment

How many does that leave.. still flying??? Gulp!

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
                    How many does that leave.. still flying??? Gulp!
                    13 flyers left, I think (one of the today's news articles noted the Belle was one of 14 flying). Big atta-boy to the pilot/crew for getting the Fortress down promptly & safely.

Here's the latest Chi-town Tribune update my old pal Kevin there just relayed:

DBD

Comment

That's sickening.......reminds me of the B-29 Ki Bird catching fire and burning........gives me that sickening stomach feeling. Like others have said, I'm glad everyone got out safe. She looked good sitting in the field on all three gear, other then the fire. Looks like the crew did a great job. Someone asked how many B-17's are left, I just heard there's 50 in the world, but only 13 or 14 flyable. When I go by the one sitting next to Hiway 99 at Tulare, I always think it's ashame, that it's sitting out in the weather and apparently very little care being taken of her. Wish someone would adapot or buy her and give hera better home.
                      Brian

Comment

This is really sad that another WWII aircraft has been lost. While "Liberty Belle" was here in CO just last month (I think), I got to spend some time on the tarmac with her and took about 40 pictures of her. "Liberty Belle" was beautiful!

Glad to hear that everyone got out ok! Awesome job by the pilot setting her down in a field on the wheels!

From what I have read, all indications are pointing to an engine fire. But looking at the pictures...the 4 engines appear to be fine? The 4 engine nacells look fine while the flames are burning the fusalage in in half? I'm not doubting any eye whitness's account. But this is what my observation is by looking at the pictures. I am no expert by any stretch!

Comment

Looks like #2 prop is feathered.

Comment

I hope everyone will join me tonight in raising a glass to the crew of the Liberty Belle for putting her down on the wheels and getting stopped before running out of (short and soft) field. The trees in the fence row are not far from where she came to a stop.

I'm thankful that everyone got out safely. Liberty Belle will be missed at the airshows.

I was driving in Illinois on business when I heard the sad news on the radio this morning. I'm not usually one to be a "wreck chaser" but I had to drive out there for a look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	224256

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	224257

Name:	IMG_2644.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	224258

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	224259

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	224260

Name:	IMG_2653.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	224261
                            Last edited by N22252; 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

This is a stupid question so please be gentile.

Is it truly a total loss? I've read magazine articles and seen TV shows were they find an old wreck on some god forsaken island. They recover some scraps of metal not much bigger than a coffee can. Ten years and millions of dollars later Steve Hinton is flying it to airshows around the country. Is it a money thing, or is it truly that there's not enough left to rebuild?
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X