Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to know more about what is happening with Miss A., Voodoo, Dago, Critical Mass, and all of the other unlimiteds also. It seems that the Bear camp is the only one that is willing to open up and let everyone know what they are up too. I would like to see someone from each team post a short message to update everyone on their progress. I'm sure that could be done without letting any secrets out of the bag.

Anyway, keep those "Bear" updates coming Wayne. Along with any others you can get a hold of.

Kevin

Comment

Get over it guys, the Bear has been feeding information out on a regular basis throughout this program. this time of year you used to log in and read the same posts over and over with nothing new going on, because nobody would talk about it. Hey you want some great air to air of Mike Brown's airplane, Mike hasn't invited anybody to do that with the press. Want to know about Miss A? I don't see a steady stream of information coming out of their pieholes either. You get Mad becasue Wayne is reporting what he knows, well the rest of these cats are not talking about their deal, they are sitting in their little hangars, keeping mum. Hey you could start this post but I don't see you getting off your a** and doing research about your favorite racer! IT is easy to throw rocks at Wayne and the Bear guys. but it is hard to find out what is going on in the other pits, Right? I am just a know nothing fan from under a rock, I like all the racers, for the most part. and since I don't know you and you don't know me I'll just keep my name to myself. but there went my opinion. As hard as the Bear crew has worked they deserve the press since they are also willing to open their door and talk about what they are doing. I just want to go buy my ticket, walk around the pits, listen to the guys that know how to tune a racer, buy them a beer in town if I see them and can ask a question or two. Then on Sunday sit in my grandstand seat with my friends and watch the Dago run a half second ahead of the Bear, as they both walk the dog on those Sea Furies

Comment

Other Racer Info

Has anyone bothered to go to some of the other race teams and asked them the question? I have followed the goings on at the Sanders facitlity which also is the base for Sept Fury and I HAVE air to air photos of Mike's racer since I was asked to take them during the the first test hop this year. Check out Pylon1.com as I have posted a number for them there. I have also completed a story on the racers history with the complete cooperation of Michael Brown and the Sanders and turned it over for publication. The engine for Voodoo is in Shafter and will be installed within the next couple of weeks. Then the racer will return to Jack Hovey's for preperation for Reno. There is a race engine being built for Miss A with the intent of getting the racer to Reno this year. She even has a scheduled date with the painter. That in itself show that Brent has every intention of bringing the racer in September.There are even one or two surprises in the works right now I am not at liberty to go public with. But I guiess since I do not run in the same circles as the followers of this site I am labeled a complainer. I simply asked if more info could be posted on other racers and you want to crucify me for it. Lastly, I sign my name because I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. And I certainly will not run from you people for speaking my mind!!!!!!

Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

Lack of news

The sport continues to blow my mind in the utter lack of any kind of promotion by the race teams. This is the only motorsport where you have no damn clue what is going on to its upcoming marquee and ONLY event. If NASCAR, or NHRA, or F1, or CART, or IRL had teams that just plain did not let anybody have a clue as to the progress of their racers, the entire fan base and media would be up in arms. The sponser this sport so dearly needs is not going to be attracted by everybody keeping thier off season doings secret. Christ, you would think it was a matter of national security the way some teams guard their off season progress.

The Bear is the exception, keeping us all abreast of what is happening.

Somewhere above it was mentioned that Dago's website has not been updated since Sept. '02. This is a pathetic joke!! I guess that they have plenty of money though, and don't worry about lack of publicity.

Unless these teams start to get a clue this sport will continue to die a slow death. I will still support it all I can, but the people at the top of these race teams need to get their heads out of sand!!

My .02. Fire away.

Tim Adams

Comment

Lack of news articles

I don't think it's as much the teams being secretive as it is a lack of manpower and effort right now on these web sites... to go out and get the stories and write up and publish the articles. I'm not slamming anyone for it (I understand the reasons)... it's just the way things seem to be right now. I'm happy (and appreciative)with anything I can get, but lately the only news coming forth has been from the forums. One only has to look at the previous years coverage leading up to the event, to see that the amount of material has been lacking ever since a certain individual vacated this website. And it also seems that once the effort laxed here, it followed suit elsewhere.

-RichH

Comment

Reno coverage...

Okay, ya dragged me in; I've been fighting the urge to reply to all this, but I think it's time I threw in my $.02. The truth of the matter is this: It costs a pile of $$$$, time, resources and effort to even keep a website like this running, let alone updated on a consistent basis. As a former contributor to one of Wayne's competing air racing websites, I've seen all too well just what it takes. Then, for whatever reason, the whole thing becomes a one-man show and everything comes to a screeching halt. Keep in mind folks, the webmasters of all three major air racing related sites have day jobs as well, and at present time, I believe all three are proceeding with damn little help. So what can we expect? AAFO has an open hotline with Team Rare Bear, so the info flows smoothly with a simple phone call. It's convenient, informative, and doesn't require a lengthy road trip to attain.

Then let's throw in the RARA factor. For the first time I can remember, RARA is now limiting each media outlet to ONE set of press credentials per publication. Hell, at the site I once contributed to, we had a tough time getting it done with two of us credentialed! And forget about coverage of the other racing classes. Perhaps RARA believes the word of air racing is spread via osmosis? If not for the likes of Pylon1, AAFO and Warbirdaeropress, do you think Reno sees 220,000 folks last year? I doubt it.

And lastly, the teams themselves. How does one put forth top quality, reliable information when the decision to race a particular aircraft is made sometime in August? Don't think I'm joking, that's quite frequently the case! To Mr. Adams who indicated the Dago site not being updated since 2002 was a "pathetic joke". Okay, here's your synopsis between then and now:

1) September, 2002, a/c returned to Provo, Utah and sat in hangar.

2) October, 2002-April, 2003, a/c sat in hangar in Provo, Utah.

3) May, 2003, engine removed from a/c, sent to Mystery Aire Ltd.

4) May, 2003-Present, engine being torn down, reassembled at Mystery Aire Ltd.

Not trying to be a complete smartass here, but show a little respect! There's simply not much to report. Throw in the webmaster having a serious family crisis, and this is what we're left with.

Let's once again face the facts; this ain't NASCAR, and it never will be. Unless he's physically unable, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon and the like will ALWAYS be expected to race come Sunday, whether they blew up a motor in time trials or not. If the Rare Bear blows up a motor in qualifying, chances are, they're done for Reno. So what's say we be thankful that the sport even exists after all these years, grateful for any and all information these fine websites can give us, and lastly, respectful to one another as fans of the fastest motorsport on Earth. Have a Happy 4th, y'all.

Mike Lucchesi
              Formerly of Pylon1.com

Comment

I don't think it's as much the teams being secretive as it is a lack of manpower and effort right now on these web sites... to go out and get the stories and write up and publish the articles. I'm not slamming anyone for it (I understand the reasons)... it's just the way things seem to be right now. I'm happy (and appreciative)with anything I can get, but lately the only news coming forth has been from the forums. One only has to look at the previous years coverage leading up to the event, to see that the amount of material has been lacking ever since a certain individual vacated this website. And it also seems that once the effort laxed here, it followed suit elsewhere. - Rich H
                I whole-heartedly disagree about lack of info, and only getting some in the forums. Just take a look at the front pages.

I can't speak for this site, but each of us puts in *a lot* of time to bring whatever it is we bring you.

Your last comment could be taken several ways, so I'm not exactly sure how it was meant. If you mean that Mark D. left AAFO, and AAFO began to lack updates; that is one thing. (I have no facts or opinion about that.) But there is another site that certainly has not been lacking updates. There is another that has been dormant for whatever reasons.

My .02, and not meant with any tone.

I, for one, appreciate the recognition for bringing an air racing web site to you. I know Wayne appreciates it, too. It is a *lot* of work, and trust me, there is a cost associated. And not just money. We appreciate the support we get from you guys; just try not to be too critical when it comes to news and updates.

And if you are critical, grab a camera, a digital recorder and a digital video camera and I'll put you to work.

There is another aspect... "Hi, this is So and So again, and I know that I talked to you last month about ______ racer, but just how many rivets away from being done are you? Will you tell me some "secret stuff" so I can blab it to the world? Thanks!"

It doesn't work that way. There are also a multitude of broken promises from owners about certain opportunities and access. There are also times when the sun and the moon align and one *little* problem gets in the way of something really special. Folks - that's just racin'... It happens and we move on.

Now... I made this post here honestly. I could have made it elsewhere, but that would have been "lifting" a topic and using it elsewhere. So, here ya go. I don't even need a flak jacket.
                Scotty G

Comment

Much Ado About.....

Originally posted by Derrek
                  Blah blah blah, blah Blah blah blah, Blah blah blah.

Wayne, if you don't like it, its your site, delete the post and get over it. I would prefer that we get over this "You won't even post your name" stuff, and talk about air racing. Besides whats in a name is it real? Who is Ben Dover, Phillip McCrevis, Joe Blow anyways?
                  The original post certainy generated a lot of "emotional" responses.. that's what "trolls" do, they post messages to envoke a "lively" "discussion" and then drool at the responses made by us who take the bait.

Derrek, you suggest "just deleting" the post, I've done that, more than once, and for that, I get harsh "critique" or "Nazi" tactic comments from the gallery.. This person, or persons, who is continually posting this sort of garbage, not only posts the relatively harmless message that he did that, more or less, went after me and the way I run the site, whomever it is, also posts some pretty directly nasty messages aimed at some public figures who do not deserve the BS, nor do they need to see it in print. So, I try to stop it.. I left this one up, you'll note, the "troll" who posted it, baited me by saying I'd take it right down, I did not, I responded, I took the bait and now, we have two pages of attention divirted away from constructive things to this wasted effort..

Paintboy: I am not even sure what your point is?? You diss me and the site for not posting more information, and you have only contributed two messages at the time of that post, so then, you try to turn tables and make it like I'm saying you have to own a certain number of posts before you can have an opinion? Where in that message do you read that in? If you're going to throw rocks at the air racing coverage, jump your self right in and provide some info...

These boards are like a live "letters to the edtor" section you'll see in most magazines. Only difference there is, the editor only posts the messages he sees fit and posts his response as he sees fit...

Here, it's open to the world, so have at it.. *maybe* I'll become so discouraged by the negativity that I'll just shut this site down and go away with my tail tucked between my legs...

I'm not planning on the above, it's meant as a geez... what can I do to please you guys.. Maybe, buy myself a ticket, hang out at OK airport where Brent is and maybe he'll let me see what he won't tell me, and I can publish it.. He wants it a surprise, so it will remain so, unless someone else gives it away...

Matt "Elbarto"... I'm not even going to start with you other than give you some "sage" advise..

GROW UP Matt... seriously, you've got a lot of maturing to do before you can ride so high as you think you do at this moment.

Beyond all of this.. Everyone have a nice Fourth Of July... I'm sick of this thread.. and I'm going to play board NAZI, use my POWER and CLOSE it...

Can we get on with our day now?

Wayne Sagar
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X