Hmmmm.....sausage, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm.....sausage, anyone?

Smoke signals indicate a new owner for the Whittington Sausage Grinder? Veteran Jet Class racer intends to race her? No TF-status this time.

Things may be looking up for this year.

Re: Hmmmm.....sausage, anyone?

I give up, what's the Whittington Sausage Grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      I give up, what's the Whittington Sausage Grinder?
      The Griffon-powered Precious Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Whittington Sausage Grinder
        Last edited by Lance; 06-03-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

that just flew over his head Shawn

Comment

Saw that. Great news and great to hear that beautiful engine round the pylons again.
            Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
            Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

That would be fantastic!
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

So, who is the new owner/pilot? Will they parade the plane or develop it into a racer the way Ron had planned? Will we see it at PRS?
                That's enough. No more questions. I'm just gonna be grateful for someone willng to spend the bucks and put on a show.

Comment

Thom Richards is new owner/pilot.
                  Will be at PRS.
                  No announced changes.
                  Will wait and see.
                  Last edited by ShermB; 06-04-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                    Will be at PRS.

OH YEAAAA!
                    Attached Files

Comment

which plane is it? not sure how current the info is on the planes...but i do remember seeing a pic or 3 of ron bucarelli's plane in an ebay ad for another plane about 2 months back. i have not seen current pics of don whittington's for a long time and it is listed as "under restoration." i hope there are 2 of the said sausage makers!!

don whittington's

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

or ron bucarelli's

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

Originally posted by eallen View Post
                        which plane is it? not sure how current the info is on the planes...but i do remember seeing a pic or 3 of ron bucarelli's plane in an ebay ad for another plane about 2 months back. i have not seen current pics of don whittington's for a long time and it is listed as "under restoration." i hope there are 2 of the said sausage makers!!

don whittington's

or ron bucarelli's

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51.../87-4488.shtml
                        The difference between the two is that the first one (labelled as Don Whittington's) is a Merlin powered Mustang. I believe this is the one destroyed at Osh Kosh a few years back, but I'll let someone else confirm that.

The second (Labelled as Ron Bucarelli's) is the Griffon powered Mustang. This is the one that has been sold to Thom Richards.

I hope that helps, and someone please correct me if I've made any errors.

Comment

Two different airplanes. Confusion started because they were rushed to get the second one done for Reno '88...so they unbolted the entire back section of the fuselage (which included the N-number) off the Merlin bird and bolted it onto the back of the Griffon bird.

It only had that configuration and 'shared' N-number for ONE race...then after the accident at Reno '88, the tail section went back onto the Merlin plane. A 'new' section was built up for the Griffon plane and the registration 'changed' to N6WJ.

Merlin plane crashed in Galveston Bay in 1990. Remains were stored for a while in Ft. Collins...but they may have been moved to Ft. Lauderdale now.

Comment

I think the one that got destroyed at Oshkosh was like an A model and the one on Mustangs and Mustangs says it is a D model. So maybe there are 3 precious metals??? I thought the one that was destroyed at Oshkosh was made for Thunder Over Reno...
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                              I think the one that got destroyed at Oshkosh was like an A model and the one on Mustangs and Mustangs says it is a D model. So maybe there are 3 precious metals??? I thought the one that was destroyed at Oshkosh was made for Thunder Over Reno...
                              The one that crashed at Oshkosh was Gerry Beck's 'replica' P-51A. It was never a race plane. It was put in Precious Metal II markings only for the Thunder Over Reno movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X