No announcement yet.

New air racing and the lies they tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New air racing and the lies they tell?

Where are the deadlines
    Maybe in china they are measured in minus ft

Comment

I too would like to hear what Reno race pilots think of this. I really dont have anything against a pylon race with a slalom section as long as only one plane at a time is on the course....kind of like downhill ski racing. More than one plane in a slalom is kind of like a figure 8 race course in a demolition derby...some one is gonna get hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
        Some of the crowd set backs look downright scary. They must be keeping them a whole 30-40 feet away from the race course.
        Though still not as scary as a Reno breakfast burrito washed down with an MGD.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Yikes!
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            That's only because the FAA doesn't regulate it....yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              That's only because the FAA doesn't regulate it....yet.
              You'll have to stay at or below 2' AGL in the sani hut to maintain scatter distance parameters.

Comment

I thought Riggs technique for passing a faster airplane by dropping down to 10' in the straight to fly in ground effect was interesting. Reno has a fit if you get below about 40'. They did it with 3, with eight I bet you could get opposing traffic. The problem is that when they screw up "air racing" will be blamed.

BillRo

Comment

Total BS, reminds me of the F-35 (cartoon) doing a flip on the carrier and also the "stealth" Navy Fighter (from the movie). Thanks, KC

Comment

looks more like stunt fling than racing

Comment

Anyone who has witnesses a "4-cross" mountain bike race knows this is calling for trouble.

4-cross involves several riders running down a snaking, diving course all at one time (sound familiar?). It's rare to see such a race complete without SOME kind of entanglement of bikes. Many times I've seen pile-ups of 3 or all 4 riders. Likewise with snowboarders and skiers. Any group of racers running together will make contact eventually.

Even cars mix it up regularly when run in groups. The difference is that with those vehicles you usually just end up with some dents and rubbed-off paint, or get nudged off the track or at worse into a wall or barrier. No biggie in most instances.

Fast little airplanes bunched together flying 200+ mph 10-20 feet off the ground through a twisting, turning course? Egads!..... I hate to say it bluntly but I will. Somebody is gonna die. Period.

The only question is how many souls will be lost in that first incident.

Yes, I too want to hear Matt's professional opinion of all this, if he truly is involved with it.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I totally agree airdogge....

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                        Anyone who has witnesses a "4-cross" mountain bike race knows this is calling for trouble.

4-cross involves several riders running down a snaking, diving course all at one time (sound familiar?). It's rare to see such a race complete without SOME kind of entanglement of bikes. Many times I've seen pile-ups of 3 or all 4 riders. Likewise with snowboarders and skiers. Any group of racers running together will make contact eventually.

Even cars mix it up regularly when run in groups. The difference is that with those vehicles you usually just end up with some dents and rubbed-off paint, or get nudged off the track or at worse into a wall or barrier. No biggie in most instances.

Fast little airplanes bunched together flying 200+ mph 10-20 feet off the ground through a twisting, turning course? Egads!..... I hate to say it bluntly but I will. Somebody is gonna die. Period.

The only question is how many souls will be lost in that first incident.

Yes, I too want to hear Matt's professional opinion of all this, if he truly is involved with it.

I think NOTHING good will come of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          You'll have to stay at or below 2' AGL in the sani hut to maintain scatter distance parameters.
                          scatter distance and sani hut should NEVER be used in the same sentence!
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Alright.... sigh.

I spent some time on the UARC site and watched the videos. Seems more like a cross between air racing and pro wrestling. Corkey is no longer listed on the site. Jackson's bio does not seem quite right. Has he flown Dago? It mentions Rare Bear but not Dread and I think others will find that odd too.

While I was not a big fan of Red Bull or the Rocket Racing League, I saw the appeal of those styles and felt their inclusion in the air race world could not hurt. I can't say that I feel the same way about this.

Now really I know nothing and I should shut up primarily because nothing I say matters anyway. But in parting, I did a little googling and I think I have found the "Bad Boy of Air Racing" that I am always hearing about. Looks like someone really pissed someone else off.

Anyone have a "warm and fuzzy" feeling on this one?
                            Last edited by W J Pearce; 06-04-2011, 10:19 PM.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

In the video they say every race in choriographed. Sounds like pro wrestling to me.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

camarillo is giving this top billing, sure hope nothing goes wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X