No announcement yet.

New air racing and the lies they tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New air racing and the lies they tell?

Looks like a standard demo race to me.
    We used to have a hoot with these in the T-6 class years ago.
    Got to go to canada + wyoming and such. Good flying, good friends. Entertaining for the crowds.
    I think you guys are taking the racing aspect way to seriously. It's just marketing afterall.
    Looks like their fearless leader is a successful TV guy that likes aviation. Sweet! I like aviation too. Get some talent, get a venue, get some golden throated voice actors for the promos and let's go flying.
    Sounds like a reasonable airshow act.

TJ

BTW: I have always thought it would be fun (challenging) to fly on a much longer course that weaves around the local topography.

Comment

choriographed. Sounds like pro wrestling to me
      You mean wrasslin' ain't real?

The first bad incident will have to hurt Reno. People will look at only the two words "Air Racing" and make a judgement.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

everybody who know's me know's i live for Reno. a newbie will ask " have you seen the Red Bull air races?" i have to explain it's not the same. this WILL hurt Reno if something bad happens
        Ric

Comment

Ok guys. Everyone needs to chill a bit here. I have read some of your posts and they are a bit dramatic. This is not big time air racing as we know it. It has no resemblence to Unlimited air racing. If you have half a brain there can be no comparison at all. The claim about speed is just that a claim. Its all in the advertizing. Its been approved by the FAA and the group of pilots have taken a great deal of time to make the event interesting for the general public. Its in full view of the spectators, it poses no threat to Reno in any way. That would be like saying a crash at an air show by a performer affects Reno. The FAA has approved the format and has no issues with the proposed events. It was a smash hit in China and they have been invited back for next year as well. The flying close to the crowd was approved in China, so don't get all your feathers ruffled. The group asked if I would look over some of their ideas and make recommendations on how they can get the crowd excited. I recommended better crowd seperation for safety and the FAA has standards anyway, that need to be met. I think when and if you ever watch the event you will like it. Its Red Bull, but for the average guy. I don't see any comparison to Reno, in fact it might just get more people out for Reno. So before you jump through the roof and get all defensive you need to consider this is America and there is someone out there with other ideas how to make a living in aviation, and that is a good thing. Will it last, I have no idea. Do i have a stake in the project, no I don't other then to offer some help to a bunch of fun loving guys trying to have fun!! So chill out and relax guys, its all for the fun of it!!!!

Comment

If you have half a brain
            Therin lies the problem...

I really do wish them luck. Anything that can possibly spark interest and help Reno is a plus. I have seen the media handling of crashes here though and the sensationalism. Maybe it's a local thing.
            Ultimately, for the people involved, I hope they stay safe, stay alive, make money and enjoy the sport.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              I hope they stay safe, stay alive, make money and enjoy the sport.

Ditto.

Comment

The claim about speed is just that a claim. Its all in the advertizing

Then there's a big part of the problem. If some over-spun advertisement spouts a bunch of almost unbelievable bull, then naturally you have to expect a reaction. We aren't all dead-heads here (at least not yet )

Matt, I respect your opinion on stuff like this as much as any professional air pilot, so if you say it looks OK to you, then no more comments on this topic from me until we see how it goes. Naturally you've been informed much more than us, so you must know something we don't.

But you have to admit, the incorrect info on the website, the history of some of the participants and the description of the event surely didn't do it any favors. First impressions are always important you know.

... Its Red Bull, but for the average guy...
                Does that mean the real Red Bull Air Races are only for the Ultra-Elite? I always thought of Red Bull as races for the average, uninformed participant (the type who go to stock car races hoping for a pile-up), and that RENO was for the lesser-numbered "those who know" REAL air race fans...

It's all good. I wish the best of luck to all those racing.

Steve (AirDOGGe) Dodge
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-08-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

The ad is a little like the "Something is going to hit the fan!" hype for Reno a few years back.
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X