No announcement yet.

Rare Bear v Dago Red - A Look At Race Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will start by saying I love the unlimiteds. I remember walking in to Stead one September, coming up behind the stands and hearing the unmistakable sound of a tortured Merlin coming down the back of the course at a great rate of knots and just getting goose bumps. I hadn't even seen the airplane at that point.

That being said, one big problem with the unlimiteds is it is too much about which engine stays together. I would like to see a new class where all of the entries have the same engine, or better yet power pack with the same horsepower (something fairly powerful but reliable like a 750 HP PT6, or the Walter might be a cheaper alternative), and possibly a minimum weight for safety. The race would then be all about aerodynamics and pilot skill. The sport class is close, but the power level is a little low and the kit requirements are limiting. Just think how fast a machine the Nemisis team could create with 750 HP.

Guy Foyle,
    Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Guy,

Reno Air Races :Interview with 30 year Reno veteran race team crew chief, Bill Kerchenfaut, of Team Strega.

We did an interview with "Kerch" geez... it's actually been five years ago now.... *YIKES* and he talks about something very similar....

Problem then and now would be $$ to start and continue something like this..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The jet class is like that equal and a great race, men/women same machine. I just think they could let them use that afterburner every once in awhile. remeber that first year with sabres pencil torching the skys to see who could stay cool the longest and stay ahead.

and the excitement in my camp is at an all time high.

Well I can't think of anything else to say except I am behind Dago all the way, Bear you better sharpen those claws cause this horsie is ready to rumble.

PS Furias has a paint job that scares me a little, if ya can afford paint like that what has happened under the hood?
        ECVSteve
        E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
        Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

The T-6's are the only class where the pilots ability and crew preparation are the only real factors in the win (in theory). When was the last time someone blew an engine?
          I agree that the sport class is close, and without the kit restriction might return to the true meaning of "unlimited". I also believe that this class is about to be dominated for awhile by one John Sharp....
          All the other classes have some sort of common denominator. Unlimited is just that, unlimited. The knowledge and technology is out there to break the hold that the warbirds have on the class, especially now that they have essentially topped out. The warbirds, however, benefit from a half century of experience, testing, and refinement. And they started out as the last and best piston/prop aircraft ever built. There just is'nt enough money in this to justify the R&D to start from scratch to win.
          So for speed, noise and the thrill of it all, I'll stick to the unlimiteds.
          For competition on the course, I'll watch the rest.
          That way I get full use of my ticket!

Leo
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo

Leo

Now I like that attitude, leo your invited for a beer after the race to discuse all the classes and their extrodinary feats of speed and ability.
            ECVSteve
            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

I would say you have NOT seen all that September Fury has to offer. And as far as MB being out of the equation, that would be a grave misjustice. I am not going to put down what the Rare Bear crew has accomplished by basically bringing this racer back from the ashes but one 475 MPH lap on an empty course does not put them in the winners circle. Michael Brown has developed one helluva racer from an airframe that is aerodynamically challenged. The Mustangs are the cleanest airframes on the course and some 4000 Lbs lighter than the Sea Fury. I do not know what the weight of the Bear is but I would be willing to bet the Sea Fury is the heaviest racer on the course. Dago Red will be pushed to the limits all week by September Fury and if the Bear can keep up with the pace and stay healthy then you will have your race of the ages. Dago Red has the advantage of having a first class racer, pilot and in my opinion THE BEST crew in air racing. But, on the negative side is the mouse motor which is nothing short of a grenade waiting to let go. That is the opening for someone else to come through. The chance for someone to dethrone the champions and I believe September Fury is the racer to do just that.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                So for speed, noise and the thrill of it all, I'll stick to the unlimiteds.
                For competition on the course, I'll watch the rest.
                Nuttin like startin a lively conversation ey!!

I'm sure many of you reading this have been to Reno during the quaifying sessions early in the week.. This is, what I think, really separates the Unlimited division (I really like the word division better than "class" ) apart, at least partly, because there is a certain amount of what I'm going to talk about in all classes... but getting to the point... The Unlimited's do a WHOLE lot of psyche racing early week and, all week up till final race on Sunday.

They have to. Hardly any of them (really, probably none of them) can really go knockers out all week and still expect to finish on Sunday, or even make Sunday for that matter..

So there is a lot of "mental racing" that goes on during the week. Personally, this is probably my favorite time. You'll see teams doing stuff to get under the skin of their chief competitior OFF the course, in the pits.. They will either scramble over some non-existant problem, spread rumors (Lies??? I don't tell you guys no lies: Tiger Destefani... any time I ask him ) or they will all gather in their pits and SMILE BROADLY every time anyone walks by whom they think might spread that fact about... of course, not us reporter types who are sworn to keep our traps shut.... *ahem*

I know, I've been "played" in the past by... well... let's not mention any names but I've been told stuff, or been "shown" stuff (the smiles come to mind) that I'm sure was expected would be "mentioned" here and there to spread the thought that all was just peachy in this or that team's camp...

That, ladies and gents is FUN STUFF!

This is not, in any way, meant to imply that there is not GREAT competition out on the course during the week, certainly there is, but there is also a great deal of strategy involved... How far to push up, do we go for broke to get in front for quals so that we start the races in front, or, save it all and bend the throttle on Sunday???

All of that is what makes this sport so grand in my eyes and why I would not miss the race from Sunday to Sunday (usually even earlier) for all the world!

Can it get any better than this... it always seems to get better every year!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As Steve Hinton once said, "you can only go so fast with a slick plane, and you can only turn so tight with a light plane".
                  The strategy of lots of dependable power has served several racers well by making them consistent, if not hot.
                  Go Dreadnaught!

And yur on EC.
                  I'll be there in force this year. Told em at work I've got to be out by noon every day for afternoon sessions. And told my wife not to expect much else out of me. If I'm not out at Stead, I'll be in the yard! She promises to keep me hydrated, which probably means hosing me down periodically.

Leo
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                    If I'm not out at Stead, I'll be in the yard! She promises to keep me hydrated, which probably means hosing me down periodically.
                    Geez Leo, you're probably one of the "luckiest" guys out there! When you are in the yard, you *almost* ARE out at Stead!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I definately got a break on all this.
                      I had never intended to live out here, or anywhere near Reno. It just so happened that the one area we really liked when looking to move here "happened" to be near enough to Stead to fulfill my, ahem, needs...
                      Now I can leisurely search out some good vantage points.

And I'm really looking forward this year to a strong Bear roaring around the course being chased by a straining Dago with S. Fury close behind. And nobody gets lapped...
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                        I'll be there in force this year. Told em at work I've got to be out by noon every day for afternoon sessions. And told my wife not to expect much else out of me. If I'm not out at Stead, I'll be in the yard! She promises to keep me hydrated, which probably means hosing me down periodically.

Leo
                        Of course, if you're not leaving work until noon you're missing all of the biplane and IF1 action in the morning...
                        Jeff Lo
                        Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                        Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

I owe, I owe...

Just on Quali days, the other four I'm on vacation. Wife and boss say I gotta work SOME ya know.
                          Race days we'll be bright and early! It's amazing how many people get there at 9-10 and miss all the great races in the mornings.
                          Nothing is better than standing in the semi-dark at the main gate when Dago does her morning wake-up run.
                          Who needs breakfast? Who needs drinks? Who needs comfort or sleep? There's planes to watch!

Leo
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Jeff,

the F1s and the Biplanes are just filler fluff. Just kidding. As an ex tech inspecter / helper (my father was the chief inspector for meny years) I grew up in the Biplane hanger. There is alot of hanger stratigy that goes on in that class as well, and all the work you guys do to the planes goes unnoticed by the crowds. You guys are just as much a part of the experiance as the unlimiteds...

Wolfee

Comment

I agree about the silver Bronze

I finally get to go again to see the fun at Reno. This year holds so much promise for a lot of racers and crews. I myself will be content watching Rhino take the course in Bad Attitude and the racing in the silver. (no bias of course;-.) It will be tough not having Tiger out there pushing everyone as well this year. I look forward to watching everyone put it on the line this year now that "The Bear" is back and is trying to reclaim their position that they enjoyed a few years back....

Here's hoping for a hot race that everyone lands safely after their race and goes home with a complete racer on Monday.
                              Randy Rheinschild
                              www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

o'dark thirty

"Nothing is better than standing in the semi-dark at the main gate when Dago does her morning wake-up run. "

Except sitting in front of the trailer and watching them fire her up before that morning run!

Comment

Working...
                                X